Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new here, and like all of us, I want the absolute best for my fur kids. Of my biggest concern is my 10 year old peek-a-poo. 2 mos. ago she had a grade II mast cell tumor removed. Upon doing research, I've read that cancer cells feed on carbs/sugars and the less fed, the better chance that the tumor won't grow back. Prior to surgery, she was fed Natural Balance for several years. Since surgery, I started feeding EVO mixed with a home-made stew consisting of fresh chicken, stew beef, chopped broccoli, chopped carrots, babyfood greenbeans and babyfood squash. I'm afraid to omit the EVO alltogether for fear of missing essential vitamins and minerals. Does this sound like a good, heathfull grain-free meal??? Both my dogs are doing well on it, and, I must add, we are adding an 8 week old Sheltie to our mix in less than two weeks. Not sure what to feed her (after the transition from the crap food she is on now). Any help would mean so much.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
They don't really need the vegetables added to the diet unless they just really like the taste for some reason. I would just stick with the Evo and the fresh meat. My pup is a year old now and I raised him on puppy Innova and puppy Orijen with canned EVO on the side. He did great on that. You might consider those for your new addition since they don't make a puppy Evo. My 12 year old Lhasa is eating Innova Senior Plus so I feed the two of them seperately. She does great on the Innova Senior Plus with the canned adult Innova.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
You may also consider adding some organ meat for extra vitamins and nutrients, and maybe some raw meaty bones every now and then to keep their teeth clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah

I have added liver before. Maybe I should try kidney? I also give them sardines sometimes and fish oil. Do you think when we get the puppy we should give her just the kibble or add the 'stew'??? Thanks so much for the advice so far. As far as raw meaty bones, I'm not sure what you mean....can you elaborate????

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
well adding meat to a dog's diet is always a good idea, so I'd recommend adding the "stew" and also the kidney would be a great addition to it :smile:

As far as raw meaty bones go, you can use like chicken necks, turkey necks, drumsticks, wings, backs, pork neckbones, oxtail, lamb trotters, that sort of thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts