Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I was wondering if any of you had tried The Honest Kitchen? It is a dehydrated raw diet. I looked it up and it seems to have fairly good reviews, the worst reviews being some refusal to eat it and the price, which is pretty high.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
It has a lot of inappropriate for carnivore ingredients and a lot of carbs. It's basically a raw kibble but probably much better for the dog. The only real use I can see for this food is for vacations and back packing with raw fed dogs. The price is outta sight.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, they have a formula that's just the grains, fruits and veggies so you can add all the raw meat, organs and bones yourself. I kinda wonder why people who do that don't just skip the Honest Kitchen part and feed what they're already feeding :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Yeah, they have a formula that's just the grains, fruits and veggies so you can add all the raw meat, organs and bones yourself. I kinda wonder why people who do that don't just skip the Honest Kitchen part and feed what they're already feeding :biggrin:
i've wondered this too for the price..... Or for those totally convinced an omnivorfe diet is best, saving a ton of money and buying fresh foods. Soooooo overpriced.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I got some samples of it when I ordered from k9cuisine, it has a very herbal smell to it, though dogs love it, they do have a grain free formulas ( I think Force and Embark), but as everyone else stated, for the money, why not just buy raw?
But its probably most convinient when going on trips and such without having to lug around kibble or raw meat.

From what I've heard a lot of people that have dogs with IBS or pancreatitis use this with excellent results, where other types of foods have failed, so if it works for them, why not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Preference is actually grain free. It's base is alfalfa, sweet potatoes, cabbage, celery, apples, spinach, organic kelp, coconut, bananas, zucchini, and honey. My vet student friend loves raves about it for her Great Danes.

A 7lb box’s rehydrates to about 28 pounds and then she just adds in meat and bones from her local butcher. I’m not a raw feeder, but she says it’s the most convenient way of raw feeding that she’s tried yet. I stick to Force though and have the best looking Pug ever.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I’m not a raw feeder, but she says it’s the most convenient way of raw feeding that she’s tried yet. I stick to Force though and have the best looking Pug ever.
Send her over here to this group. We can give her A LOT MORE CONVENIENT way to feed raw. :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts