Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - none of my 4 needed any extra weight. I weighed them all last night because Coco my male Pom was looking liker a little bulldog. Heres the breakdown.

Coco - Male Pom (larger boy anyway) went from 11lbs to 13lbs
Aoki - Female Pom went from 7lbs to 8, this is fine she is not heavy
Olie - Male Poodle(9 months) went from 43lbs t0 47lbs
Suri - Female Poodle went from 51lbs to 53lbs - she does not look heavy just muscular.

One thing I notice is it is harder to gage the right feeding for the Poms, they are small. Coco I am concerned the most and may have some bloodwork done just to be on the safe side. (I worry about thyriod) He is SO thick.

Anyway, RAW is going pretty good accept the weight. Do you think I should try 1% of weight for Coco? Honestly he does not eat that much.....

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would definitely feed less if they are all gaining weight. It might be a good idea to get a small scale to measure out food for the poms since they are so small, you might see a huge difference in just an ounce or two. Remember that the 2-3% is just a guideline and needs to be adjusted accordingly to each individual dog.

·
Registered
76 Posts
OK - none of my 4 needed any extra weight. I weighed them all last night because Coco my male Pom was looking liker a little bulldog. Heres the breakdown.

Coco - Male Pom (larger boy anyway) went from 11lbs to 13lbs
Aoki - Female Pom went from 7lbs to 8, this is fine she is not heavy
Olie - Male Poodle(9 months) went from 43lbs t0 47lbs
Suri - Female Poodle went from 51lbs to 53lbs - she does not look heavy just muscular.

One thing I notice is it is harder to gage the right feeding for the Poms, they are small. Coco I am concerned the most and may have some bloodwork done just to be on the safe side. (I worry about thyriod) He is SO thick.

Anyway, RAW is going pretty good accept the weight. Do you think I should try 1% of weight for Coco? Honestly he does not eat that much.....

Our first Golden, Bailey, had thyroid issues almost his whole life. He had a hard time losing weight, and part of it was thyroid. Once I moved him to a BARF diet (didn't know about PMR back then) and got him on regular meds, he was much better and lost weight.

Good thing is that the medication is pretty inexpensive but if you can control it holistically, that's the better way to go.

- Jean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts