Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
their dry food without canned food mixed in with it. I was mixing in some canned cat food that I wasn't feeding to the cats, but now that I've used it all up, and started just giving them just dry they won't eat. The food here this morning is from yesterday. I thought if they got hungry enough they would eat, but they are being very stubborn. Especially Abby, Nova will eat about every other day. But abby has only ate a little over the last 3-4 days.
Any suggestions would be great. I thought about going and buying a new kibble, to maybe entice them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 3 different kibbles mixed together right now. Natual Balance, Diamond Beef, and Rice, and CHicken Soup. I kinda think its the Diamond they don't like. I don't really want to mix anything in again, then I may be back where I started again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe it's just me-but we've always stayed away from giving the dogs any cat food-thought it would mess them up or something. I wonder if the canned cat food somehow "changed" something with how they eat the dry food now-just wondering?
Anyway-it's probably no big deal-they'll most likely eat again soon.
:smile:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope so. Nove did finally eat her food last night, and Abby are about 3/4 of hers. Thats probably what I get giving them canned cat food. lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't think you are supposed to give a dog cat food. My uncle accidentally bought cat food for their dog several years ago and and I guess figured what's the difference and fed it to him anyway and the dog died. The vet said it was the cat food that caused his death.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Now don't go and spoil them. If he's taken a liking for the cat food, he's going to hold out for it. Eventually he'll remember he needs to eat to get rid of that hunger feeling and he'll start eating his food again. Don't think too much on it.

And don't leave their food out. If he doesn't eat it after 10-15 minutes, it goes up until the next mealtime. Don't let them decide when it's time to eat, that's your job as the pack leader :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now don't go and spoil them. If he's taken a liking for the cat food, he's going to hold out for it. Eventually he'll remember he needs to eat to get rid of that hunger feeling and he'll start eating his food again. Don't think too much on it.

And don't leave their food out. If he doesn't eat it after 10-15 minutes, it goes up until the next mealtime. Don't let them decide when it's time to eat, that's your job as the pack leader :)
:smile: They only get fed once a day in the morning, so I just leave the food out til they decide to eat. Nova ate all of hers, and Abby has ate about half of her food.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I'm about redy to give up. They still are not eating much. Abby is maybe eating a cup a week. Nova is doing a little better with about 2-3 cups a week. I'm about to give in and go get some canned food to mix in just so they'll eat. I know they eat less, with the heat, and such, but we just started hetting intot he 90's this week. Its been 70 and 80 here for the last 2-3 weeks. The cats get Fancy Feast, so what is a better cheap canned food for the dogs. I've fed them Cesar before, and when I quit i didn't have this problem getting them to eat.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would advise for you not to give in. When I stopped mixing canned food, I swear it felt like a cup of dry food lasted more than a week. She refused to eat it but eventually gave in.

Don't let them win!!! Have you tried putting some warm water in the dry food? Just to enhance the flavor a little bit? I also give my furkids 25-3o minutes to eat then i take it away. She eventually (after she realized I''m more stubborn than she is) learned to eat her food when I give it to her.

Of course this doesnt apply if you think they're getting sick, etc from not eating. I've never met a dog that would starve itself for prolonged periods. =)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah no healthy dog will let itself starve to death. I think you need to give them less time to eat their food, don't just "leave it out till they eat it" give them 15 - 20 minutes, then put it back in the bag so it doesn't get stale sitting out for so long (who wants to eat stale food, after all?).

You could also try BabyHusky's suggestion of adding warm water to the food.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've tried picking up the food after about 20 minutes, and then offering it later. That didn't seem to make a difference. Guess I'll just keep being the more stubborn one! haha

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
If it were my dogs I would until your dry kibble is gone, mix in some canned tripe, I haven't met a dog who wouldn't eat it and it will give them some great nutrients. Then when I was done with the food your feeding I would find a better quality kibble like Innova Evo, or Orijen, remember cheap is never good for people or dogs.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
In your post you asked for a "better cheap canned food" Natural Balance is a good dry kibble, but chicken soup is mediocre at best. What caused you to mix 3 different brands of dog food together and feed it?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Variety. I was going to mix in the canned with the dry that I'm feeding, that why I just wanted a grocery store canned food.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
:smile: They only get fed once a day in the morning, so I just leave the food out til they decide to eat. Nova ate all of hers, and Abby has ate about half of her food.
I agree. Take it up after 10 or 15 minutes and don't feed again until the next day. They will soon learn either they eat it when its put down or they don't get to eat. They will start eating at that time. It's not up to them to decide when to eat. Thats your job as the leader. Also, stop dressing up their meals to entice them to eat. They will control you forever if you allow that to continue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts