Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to post this in response to the article Magicre posted today but I figured it would probably fit better in the raw feeding forums.

The article really impacted me in a different way. I am probably a little more germ phobic than the next person and after feeding Jody a PMR diet for 3-4 months I went back to kibble thinking it would be cleaner. (plus I overfed her and gave her too much variety too quick which resulted in a messy stool) About 3 months back on kibble again her stools were very large and numerous. (even on awesome food) I was reading about how kibble sitting in the intestines can contribute to a bacterial overgrowth plus her teeth were dirty again. I realized I would rather deal with a little bacteria when preparing her meal than the bacteria in her mouth and growing in her intestines. All of a sudden raw feeding seemed "cleaner" than kibble to me. Plus, the food digests so fast that unlike kibble the salmonella shouldn't have a change to grow because it is in and out.

I know people are always concerned with the cleanliness of raw feeding and they have a hard time getting past it but now think feel like it is riskier feeding dog kibble.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
tell THAT to the delta society who banned raw fed dogs.

due to a hospital error, i was given mrsa in the OR whilst having my thyroid removed...three surgeries later, i was also a germaphobe...

having mrsa in my neck for three years.....blech...

yet i still handled raw food....if you wanna feed the honey, gotta cook...starts with raw meat...LOL

i'm better now...but when i first started, i sterilised the kitchen after each feeding....

dumb, as i look back, since i didn't have the same reaction taking out a porterhouse or rib eye steak for grilling...

i think feeding raw has helped me a lot in getting to the other side....and back to the 'pound of dirt kid' i've always been..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dane Mama,

In the 3 months we fed our GSD, Jody, kibble, her condition went downhill. My husband, who rarely expressed an opinion about what our dog ate, basically asked me to switch back to raw food. About a week into feeding raw food he just started commenting on how excellent she looked. My teenage son, who walks her everyday, came home and said,.."Mom whatever you are feeding her keep it up cause her poop was easy to pick up!" I just cracked up.

Tami

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got to thinking of something a vet I work with told me. It sounds crazy but he's one of the vets at work I trust the most... He even supports my feeding PMR.
Anyhow he said that "50% of fecal matter is digested bacteria from the intestines!" Now 50% sounds excessive, but thinking of the difference in stool production from a kibble fed dog to a raw fed one now has me wondering if that difference isn't just due to better absorption, but PERHAPS the higher bacteria and slower absorption with kibble.??? Gotta wonder, gross as it is

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Anyhow he said that "50% of fecal matter is digested bacteria from the intestines!"
I don't buy that story for a second.

Now 50% sounds excessive, but thinking of the difference in stool production from a kibble fed dog to a raw fed one now has me wondering if that difference isn't just due to better absorption, but PERHAPS the higher bacteria and slower absorption with kibble.???
Stay with absorption, period.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thanks Dane Mama,

In the 3 months we fed our GSD, Jody, kibble, her condition went downhill. My husband, who rarely expressed an opinion about what our dog ate, basically asked me to switch back to raw food. About a week into feeding raw food he just started commenting on how excellent she looked. My teenage son, who walks her everyday, came home and said,.."Mom whatever you are feeding her keep it up cause her poop was easy to pick up!" I just cracked up.

Tami
I think that its great that your whole family sees the proof that raw really does work wonders for a dog, in lots of ways!

You should post up some pictures so we can see your pretty girl :wink:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While we are on the conversation of "output" I have a related question. The 3 months Jody was on dog kibble her output was considerably more than her input. Is this due to the water in the stool?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
While we are on the conversation of "output" I have a related question. The 3 months Jody was on dog kibble her output was considerably more than her input. Is this due to the water in the stool?
No, water in the stool causes diarrhea or IS diarrhea. Excessive stool volume of kibble eating dogs is because of all the undigestable garbage in the kibble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts