Dog Food Chat banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Do you use anything before going into the ring? I know there's a bunch of stuff normally used, color/coat enhancing shampoos/products, oils, chamois?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Do you use anything before going into the ring? I know there's a bunch of stuff normally used, color/coat enhancing shampoos/products, oils, chamois?
Not for everyone lol. We would just wash the frenchies normally and spray them with a conditioner.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Who was this to?
Jen1973. Guess I should've put that in there.

Not for everyone lol. We would just wash the frenchies normally and spray them with a conditioner.
Even Boxers get more than that! I guess the Frenchie I know doesn't get more than that too, thinking of it. On the whole even the "wash and wear" breeds really aren't wash and wear though I think. I'm sure you've seen all the stuff that others use though. I don't even want to think how much time it takes to groom and manage a coated dog!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Jen1973. Guess I should've put that in there.

Even Boxers get more than that! I guess the Frenchie I know doesn't get more than that too, thinking of it. On the whole even the "wash and wear" breeds really aren't wash and wear though I think. I'm sure you've seen all the stuff that others use though. I don't even want to think how much time it takes to groom and manage a coated dog!
Oh yeah, I've seen some interesting stuff lol. Mascara on the nose to fill it in, powdering the white a bit...but overall the ones I helped we're mostly wash and wear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally Posted by SaharaNight Boxers View Post
Hi Sahara: I don't even give him a bath. In fact I cannot remember the last time I gave him a bath. If he is muddy, I wipe him down with a baby wipe or a wet washcloth. But basically no pre-show grooming.

A lot of people trim whiskers, use products, etc but I don't believe in that. He is a sporting dog that is meant to work.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Hi Sahara: I don't even give him a bath. In fact I cannot remember the last time I gave him a bath. If he is muddy, I wipe him down with a baby wipe or a wet washcloth. But basically no pre-show grooming.

A lot of people trim whiskers, use products, etc but I don't believe in that. He is a sporting dog that is meant to work.
Where is that show picture with the bales of straw? I can see the first is the Harrisburg show.

It lookes like the Finger Lakes show, in any event both shows are highly competitive events.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a wash and wear breed but its nothing like that - between powders, whitening and a whole mess of other things it takes hours to prepare their coat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where is that show picture with the bales of straw? I can see the first is the Harrisburg show.

It lookes like the Finger Lakes show, in any event both shows are highly competitive events.
Good guess! It's Wine Country- Sampson State Park, NY.

·
Registered
532 Posts
With my dogs if I switch the food up too much they may take a little while to return to a balanced gut. I see that on 8/13 you had the dogs on EB Meadow Feast & Nutrisource and then substituted Acana for the Nutrisource due to weight loss on 9/3. On 9/30 you finished the Acana and went to Native L3, for the puppy at least and perhaps for the others as well. On 10/7 you started feeding Dr. Tim's and now on 10/19 ordered Victor Hi Pro Plus. I've gotten varying results with different foods, some switched over better than others, but I've not used that many foods in 8 weeks time period. Hope you find one they all like!
And you are stalking my post for what reason? I have more than one dog and foster as well. Several dogs have left my home since then too and not all of them were on the same food. I try out new foods a lot of times with fosters to see how they do. And not all of my dogs can eat the same food. I have young, high energy dogs and I have old dogs with slow metabolisms and allergies. So I feed them all differently depending on their needs. Right now I have no fosters and my roommate moved out last month taking 3 of the dogs, so I'm down to 6. 3 older dogs w/ allergies are eating Victor Ocean Blend, switched from NOW Large breed senior which I have absolutely no complaints on but the the price. I can't afford to pay $60 for 25lbs of food right now.

And the 3 active dogs are eating Hi Pro Plus switched from Dr. Tims which they hated and ate by it self not even a week. They were on Native prior to that which they did fine on and Acana Prairie with the old ingredients before Champion changed them and did very well on that but I only bought it b/c I had coupons and once we went thru the 2 bags, I had to find something else and since the puppy was coming home, I went with Native b/c it worked on my last Greyhound puppy.

As for the Victor, they dove into the kibble. I ended up opening the bags on the way home b/c the wouldn't leave them alone in the car. They are loving the food. Poop is firm, weight is good so far, no gas or any issues from day one in any of the dogs. I hope it continues b/c it is a much more affordable kibble for me right now with my roommate gone. I would like to go with their grain free kibbles as the dogs did love the samples of it, but for now, we'll stick with the grain inclusive to see how they do. My only problem so far is keeping the cat out of the dog food. She loves the kibble too, especially the Ocean Blend and keeps getting into the dog bowls while they are trying to eat.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Why would you NOT recommend a food, that has good ingredients, just because your dogs didn't do well on it? That doesn't make any sense to me.
What difference does the ingredients make if the food didn't work for my dogs???? Wellness has decent ingredients, but I would rather feed Ol Roy. I hate that food and would never recommend it. It is my right to recommend what I like. And I have fed a lot of dogs over the years. Always had multiple dogs plus lots of fosters. If a food doesn't work for multiple dogs, I'm not recommending. And you want to know which food consistently worked the best over the past 15 yrs for my dogs/fosters? Pro Plan Performance. If they hadn't up'd the price so much I would continue feeding it. Never had a dog do badly that food. And still when I get a badly emaciated foster, I would feed it. It does very well for putting weight on, improving coat quality w/o upsetting their stomachs. But to you and many others, it has crap ingredients. But the results speak for themselves to me.

My 15 yr old dog ate Pro Plan Performance the first 5 yrs of his life. Then raw for about 5 yrs and various kibbles since. Had blood work last week and other than a slightly (a few points over) elavated BUN, everything else was perfect.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts