Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 40 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sarah I will sum it up for you:

Kinesis, 26/16, 90% Protein from Animal Sources, 5.8% Ash.
Pursuit, 30/20, 94% Protein from Animal Sources, 6.5% Ash
Momentum, 35/25, 96% Protein from Animal Sources, 6.0% Ash
Kinesis GF, 32/18, 92% Protein from Animal Sources, 6.9% Ash

Sarah, have you been to the Dr. Tim's FB page? There is a guide name Joe Henderson that takes a team of Malamutes into the Arctic in the winter on 100 day camping trips that uses Momentum. Very interesting stuff.

You seem to discount the experience of all these professionals that use the food. Why is that?
Here is my problem with it. Do you think they just feed straight kibble, no add ins? Probably not. Each dog would be eating possible pounds of kibble for all the calories needed. I can find people who swear by Eukanuba, Purina, Royal Canine, stc. Doesn't make it a good food. Just like DaViking found a couple who swears by Inukshuk that also does sledding. They put it above Dr. Tim's.

And when did sledding become the epitome of who to follow about what to feed? It seems like you (and your ofher usernames) treat it as if a muscher feeds it, then it must be good. I don't agree with that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got nothing against Dr. Tim's food. I just get rubbed the wrong way when a whole army for specific foods come in bashing other foods that clearly other board members' dogs have been thriving on. I don't even feed kibble right now, I feed dehydrated, but I don't push that on other users. I will recommend foods based on the dog, not based on the brand because some says "See this group of sled dogs? They're thriving so this means this food is the best!"

If I still fed kibble, yeah I would maybe try a grain free Dr. Tim's in a rotation. But all the negativity from the Dr. Tim army on here just turns me off.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
In all honesty, it's what... like two or three nicks here who promote Dr.Tim's with passion? What kind of an "army" is that? It's a pretty lousy bunch compared to the army of raw preachers on this forum. If you'r not buying the gospel just look away. Learn to take what is written on a forum with a grain or ten of salt and trust real life.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I can find people who swear by Eukanuba, Purina, Royal Canine, stc. Doesn't make it a good food. Just like DaViking found a couple who swears by Inukshuk that also does sledding. They put it above Dr. Tim's.
Found a couple? Oh well...

I didn't add the Inukshuk testimonial link to that other thread as an anti Dr. Tim's statement and I don't claim it's better than Dr. Tim's. They are both, together with some other brands/formulas, very good foods. I claim that those as a group are very good alternatives and to tell them apart you really need special circumstances.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got nothing against Dr. Tim's food. I just get rubbed the wrong way when a whole army for specific foods come in bashing other foods that clearly other board members' dogs have been thriving on. I don't even feed kibble right now, I feed dehydrated, but I don't push that on other users. I will recommend foods based on the dog, not based on the brand because some says "See this group of sled dogs? They're thriving so this means this food is the best!"

If I still fed kibble, yeah I would maybe try a grain free Dr. Tim's in a rotation. But all the negativity from the Dr. Tim army on here just turns me off.
I guess that's just what I called the couple people. I know it's not a whole "army" that's just how I phrased it in that moment. There are also some Champion promoters that want nothing to do with any other company, I just posted it here since it seemed to fit.

I just don't want some people to feed/keep feeding their dog a certain brand of food even if their dog does terribly on that food because someone said it was amazing for their dog. I guess all I'm saying is that there isn't a one best food. I think most people know that but sometimes it seems the... fans, I will call them, fans of any one specific brand, just get so one brand minded that they could be ruling out some foods their dog might do great on.

I trust the foods my dog does best and try guide people in finding the same thing for their dog.

Not trying to start anything :)

*Edited to say whoops, didn't realize I quoted myself. :redface:

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Victoria, Kevin...all three of us should try it and post our results in depth. Think it would be interesting lol. I'd be willing to give it a try with Abbie :) could be a fun experiment...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Where did you get the information on how much of the protein is from animal sources?
I was thinking the same thing -

Chicken meal, dried white potatoes, dried field peas, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), ocean herring meal, tapioca, dried whole eggs, whole ground flax seed, menhaden fish oil, chicken liver, salmon meal, porcine plasma, carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress, spinach, potassium chloride, salt, lecithin, calcium carbonate, L-Lysine, canola oil, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dl-methionine, organic dried kelp, psyllium seed husks, yucca schidigera extract, choline chloride, dried chicory root, algae fat product (source of DHA), ascorbic acid, glucosamine, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized ascorbic acid), taurine, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, zinc proteinate, beta carotene, ferrous sulfate, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), manganese sulfate, inositol, niacin supplement, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, zinc oxide, biotin, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), copper proteinate, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), calcium pantothenate, potassium iodide (source of iodine), manganous oxide, selenium, calcium iodate, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, L-carnitine, rosemary extract.Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Kinesis provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.Metabolizable energy (calculated): 3750 kcal/kg
Kinesis is 415 kcal ME/cup (110g)

That is the list of ingredients. Notice, chicken meal is labeled first - then its just A LOT of vegetable protein. I would love to find out how this could be animal protein. He can lie all he wants on facebook, he isn't bound by anything.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
oh I will be reporting on this food for certain. Also, Monster... cut the crap on the sled Dog stuff. None of us are "mushers" or whatever you call them. And frankly, everytime I see pictures of 79 sled Dogs on chains in some faraway place, it really pisses me off. And don't tell me how much they "love" their lives. Dogs are conditioned to deal with anything and that life sucks. So your constant glamorization of sled Dogs and their esteemed owners only draws me away from you. I'm gonna try the food but shut it on the Sled Dog babble. Most of us only want our Dogs to be healthy and live as long as possible. Your analogy of them performing well doesn't mean crap to me. A 200 lb NFL Cornerback on Steroids will perform well also but doesn't necessarily mean he's healthy.

Also, the constant ridicule of Orijen and some other brands.... the only thing I will add is that you can sit out here and slam them without any rebuttal from Champion or others. My guess is that their Vets/Scientists might have some very informative replies to your bashing. You have the luxury of blasting on them every day without their chance to reply.

All that being said, I...along with others are willing to try Tim's food. But be careful.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Found a couple? Oh well...

I didn't add the Inukshuk testimonial link to that other thread as an anti Dr. Tim's statement and I don't claim it's better than Dr. Tim's. They are both, together some other brands/formulas, very good foods. I claim that those as a group are very good alternatives and to tell them apart you really need special circumstances.
A husband and wife that sleds? I'd say that's a couple.

What I mean by that is anyone can find one brand they'll stick with. Even in the same sport. They chose Inukshuk. And they seem to be doing quite well also. I know it wasn't anti-Dr. Tim's.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I was thinking the same thing -

Chicken meal, dried white potatoes, dried field peas, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), ocean herring meal, tapioca, dried whole eggs, whole ground flax seed, menhaden fish oil, chicken liver, salmon meal, porcine plasma, carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress, spinach, potassium chloride, salt, lecithin, calcium carbonate, L-Lysine, canola oil, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dl-methionine, organic dried kelp, psyllium seed husks, yucca schidigera extract, choline chloride, dried chicory root, algae fat product (source of DHA), ascorbic acid, glucosamine, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized ascorbic acid), taurine, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, zinc proteinate, beta carotene, ferrous sulfate, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), manganese sulfate, inositol, niacin supplement, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, zinc oxide, biotin, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), copper proteinate, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), calcium pantothenate, potassium iodide (source of iodine), manganous oxide, selenium, calcium iodate, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, L-carnitine, rosemary extract.Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Kinesis provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.Metabolizable energy (calculated): 3750 kcal/kg
Kinesis is 415 kcal ME/cup (110g)

That is the list of ingredients. Notice, chicken meal is labeled first - then its just A LOT of vegetable protein. I would love to find out how this could be animal protein. He can lie all he wants on facebook, he isn't bound by anything.
You shouldn't be using phrases like "not new to dog nutrition" because you display zero, zip, zilch knowledge of what you are talking about. After chicken meal you have dried potatoes and field peas. Next is the fiber that I would guess comes in around 3% to 4%. (see, that number is important because of where it is in the ingredients list ;) ) Where is the "A LOT" of vegetable protein? Please answer questions ppl are asking you. Otherwise you are just another drive-by board troll.

He's lying! He's not bound by anything! Are you kidding me? What reality are you operating in? One 50 bucks test and he is busted and his brand is done for you realize that right?

·
Registered
185 Posts
You shouldn't be using phrases like "not new to dog nutrition" because you display zero, zip, zilch knowledge of what you are talking about. After chicken meal you have dried potatoes and field peas. Where is the "A LOT" of vegetable protein? Please answer questions ppl are asking you. Otherwise you are just another drive-by board troll.

Chicken meal is labeled first and that is great - but how can you prove that those veggie proteins aren't the majority of the product since they are one after the other. Not to mention, Beet pulp is a known sugary filler. Please tell me why these are beneficial and how I am a troll? You have not given ANY scientifically backed data about the formula - you have has hearsay.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Chicken meal is labeled first and that is great - but how can you prove that those veggie proteins aren't the majority of the product since they are one after the other. Not to mention, Beet pulp is a known sugary filler. Please tell me why these are beneficial and how I am a troll? You have not given ANY scientifically backed data about the formula - you have has hearsay.
They add beat pulp for fiber right?

·
Registered
185 Posts
You shouldn't be using phrases like "not new to dog nutrition" because you display zero, zip, zilch knowledge of what you are talking about. After chicken meal you have dried potatoes and field peas. Next is the fiber that I would guess comes in around 3% to 4%. (see, that number is important because of where it is in the ingredients list ;) ) Where is the "A LOT" of vegetable protein? Please answer questions ppl are asking you. Otherwise you are just another drive-by board troll.

He's lying! He's not bound by anything! Are you kidding me? What reality are you operating in? One 50 bucks test and he is busted and his brand is done for you realize that right?

Then why doesn't he put it on his packaging? It's not on the packaging and that is where the FDA would go ballistic - a facebook page is different.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I guess...It's just speculation? I know more about kibble than raw right now. I just work for a company and know a tiny itty bit about the kibbles out there and their make up. I would guess you would look at the fiber content, which is fairly low; explains why the the beet pulp is low on the list. It isn't as abundant as other ingredients like Proteins and Fats. So perhaps a filler? Idk, I hate non-transparency...so perhaps someone from Tim's posse will answer the question. Most kibble companies blow anyway. JMO.

edit: Meant to say I know more about raw than kibble right now. ;)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
1) If you had the slightest knowledge of nutrition you knew where to look up the amounts of protein these two plant ingredients contain. I shouldn't have to provide you with any science since it's public knowledge available in plain sight on the net.

2) Beet pulp as used in dog food is a source of dietary fiber and does not contain any sugar, nor is a filler. A filler is an ingredient who serves no purpose what-so-ever. Do you understand what a dietary fiber is? Beet pulp is partly fermentable vegetable fiber and is a source of food for existing bacteria in the gut. These desirable bacteria colonies need stuff to eat and that is exactly what beet pulp provides. Beet pulp (and other sources of dietary fiber) is an essential part of good digestion and enhance growth of beneficial bacteria. Google it. I'll provide links as soon as I say something remotely controversial.

Two posts and no backing of anything smells like trolling to me.

21 - 40 of 173 Posts