Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just checking Aspen's teeth right now, and on one of his lower canines, the very tip is a very very light purplish color. But the thing is that it seems to be on the inside of the canine, so it makes it difficult to see. Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Hmmm I was gonna suggest possible exposed root. Does it seem to hurt him at all? can you scrape it off?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm I was gonna suggest possible exposed root. Does it seem to hurt him at all? can you scrape it off?
Nope. Doesn't seem to bother him at all. I can't scrape it off cause it seems to be on the inside...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know how long it's been like that, but could he just have injured it or something with the antlers?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If it's just the tip, like a pin point at the tip, tHere is nothing to worry about with that. Lots of dogs will wear their teeth down to the pulp cavity by chewing on things like tennis balls or toys. This rarely causes a problem but if there is a problem with that tooth you will know it. I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get worse, meaning the entire tooth becoming discolored. If it were getting infected or accessed his jaw would start to swell and get painful. That is when it would have to be treated. My guess is that probably won't happen. The teeth we see get abcessed more often than not are the back carnassial teeth on dogs.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's just the tip, like a pin point at the tip, tHere is nothing to worry about with that. Lots of dogs will wear their teeth down to the pulp cavity by chewing on things like tennis balls or toys. This rarely causes a problem but if there is a problem with that tooth you will know it. I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get worse, meaning the entire tooth becoming discolored. If it were getting infected or accessed his jaw would start to swell and get painful. That is when it would have to be treated. My guess is that probably won't happen. The teeth we see get abcessed more often than not are the back carnassial teeth on dogs.
That's exactly what I was going to do. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't spread. Thanks for the info...!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I think so, if it doesn't appear to be bothering him or make the purple spot worse.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it's just the tip, like a pin point at the tip, tHere is nothing to worry about with that. Lots of dogs will wear their teeth down to the pulp cavity by chewing on things like tennis balls or toys.
That's what I don't get. His canine isn't worn down at all...

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
That's what I don't get. His canine isn't worn down at all...
It doesn't necessarily have to look warn down for the first layer to be compromised to cause access to the pulp cavity.

Could you possibly take a picture so I can better see what you are talking about?

A huge part of my job is looking into the mouths of animals and checking out teeth.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It doesn't necessarily have to look warn down for the first layer to be compromised to cause access to the pulp cavity.

Could you possibly take a picture so I can better see what you are talking about?

A huge part of my job is looking into the mouths of animals and checking out teeth.
Yeah, I'll see if I can. He's pretty good about that...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did take a couple of pics, but the closer I got to his canine, the more blurrier. I have a good camera, I guess I'm just camera-illiterate. I'll just keep a close eye on it. Thanks anyway...!!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is regarding the do you brush your dog's teeth thread by wags. I didn't want to post there because I didn't want to take over the thread. But, if I give Aspen RMB's, will his teeth be pearly white, or do I have to completely switch him over to raw, meaning meat, bones and organs?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
This is regarding the do you brush your dog's teeth thread by wags. I didn't want to post there because I didn't want to take over the thread. But, if I give Aspen RMB's, will his teeth be pearly white, or do I have to completely switch him over to raw, meaning meat, bones and organs?
No, you don't have to switch...just supplement RMB's to a kibble diet. I know of a lot of people who do this just for the dental cleaning aspect of the raw diet. But make sure that you don't give weight bearing bones, I won't ever recommend it since our Shiloh broke one of her's on a knuckle bone.

That is to say that a complete switch over to PMR is best :wink:

Like I said a few days ago in another thread, you most likely wont see much difference in body condition and energy if you switch Aspen because he is already strong and healthy. Does he have bad tarter and breath?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
NO, no tartar or bad breath. His teeth are white, but starting to turn a little off yellow from his canines...

I really do believe that great health starts with healthy teeth and gums.

OKAY, now I'm seriously thinking about switching him over to raw...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts