Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I recently switched my dogs from Nutro (yes, I never knew how bad a food this was till this forum) to Taste of the Wild Venison. I gradually switched over and now after 5 days of only TOW my 2 Cockers have very bad gas and the craps. At my local tractor supply they only carry the TOW and Blue Buffalo so I am trying to stick to these 2 so I do not have to travel far for their food. Should I try the blue or just give them a chance to adjust? Thanks for any advice,Pam

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I would give it longer than 5 days. When I first switched my GSH Pointer over to a grain free food she had gas too. She also is eating the TOTW bison formula and is doing wonderful on it.

Did you do the switch gradually? Sometimes if you switch foods too fast it can cause some upset in some dogs.

Also, be sure you aren't over feeding. Feeding too much of a grain free food can cause problems such as runny stool. For comparison, Lucky my 48 lb. GSH Pointer eats about 3/4 of a cup two times a day with two spoonfulls of canned mixed in.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
totw is better im. how big are your dogs and how muh you feeding?

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
=p
isnt blue buffalo a grained food though?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
=p
isnt blue buffalo a grained food though?

I believe Blue Buffalo does have a Grain free line. Can't imagine spending that kind of money on a grain free food that doesn't say Evo, Acana or Orijen on the label...but I'm sure its decent. :wink:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
im not familiar with the price, but i know you have trouble imagining non evo/champ food s =p.
there grain free formula looks meh imo.

·
Registered
438 Posts
is TOTW made by diamond?
not just made by them (such as Canidae, solid gold, etc...TOTW is actually a Diamon owned line)

to the OP, id agree that since you already started the TOTW id give it a while longer.

if you were comparing TOTW with Blue Buffalo's grainless food (Wilderness) id definitely favor the Wilderness.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Taste of the Wild Pet Foods - Per Diamond Pet Food (manufacturer) “all fish meal, ocean fish meal, and salmon meal ingredients are preserved with ethoxyquin.”

Risk Ingredients Not Listed on Pet Food Labels

I would go with Blue Buffalo.
yes, that is because the suppliers for Diamond use it (diamond doesnt add it themselves, though it doesnt matter--its in the food), as do any other supplier in the U.S. that do not have special permits to preserve with something else.

is there any verification that Blue Buff does not use suppliers that preserve with ethoxyquin?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
BB is a more reliable company, but I would pick totw over bb because its grain free, unless you compare to Bb's wilderness which is a grain free line.

But if you chose to stay with totw, I would advice slowly transitioning, mixing in with old food for at least 2 weeks and weaning unto the new food, you can also add some plain yogurt which will help with digestion.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Blue Buffalo Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved naturally with Naturox.”

Risk Ingredients Not Listed on Pet Food Labels
being preserved with Naturox does not necessarily mean ethoxyquin free sources. Naturox may be what the manufacturer uses to preserve (and is all a manufacturer will usually willingly disclose). unless they specifically state that their suppliers do not use it and that they test their product to ensure it is ethoxyquin free, then i always assume it is in their food.

i email every manufacturer i use and ask them to state something to that effect in writing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fromm does not use ethoxyquin ( neither do their suppliers). Neither does Petcurean products or Acana/Orijen. Many companies state they do not use it, but are not required to disclose that their suppliers do...... huge loophole. IMO, researching the companies is as important as the foods in today's marketplace. Many of the foods we use I order from doggiefood.com, k9cuisine.com, or pawschoice.com Their shipping is cheap or free depending on how much you order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TOTW ethoxyquin use

As of last summer, TOTW no longer uses ethoxyquin. Even when they did, the amount used was equivalent to .005%, which is well below the recommended dose. Now they are only using all natural preservatives.

·
Registered
82 Posts
5 days is not long enough to say "yay" or "nah" on a food. You have to give it at least 6 weeks. Try a little yogurt to settle the upset and pumpkin will firm up the runs. I'm unsure how much to feed a 35 lb dog but overfeeding can cause the runs as well. Give it a little bit before you try something different.

·
Registered
461 Posts
They are around 35 lbs and I am feeding about 1 cup twice daily to each one.
A cup twice a day? That is WAY too much, and I don't care what the bag says. Food companies, heaven bless them, want to sell dog food, and they all VASTLY overestimate how much to feed. My very active 55lb dog would eat 1 cup twice a day!

Try cutting them down to 1 1/4 cups for the whole day and see if that doesn't make a difference. :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I agree I'd give it longer than a few days. It can take a couple of months for a dog to adjust to a new food. I also agree overfeeding can be a huge culprit. My 67 pound dog eats 2 1/2 cups of TOTW and my 80 pounder eats 3 cups (just as a reference). Both are EXTREMELY active. Oh and I also like TOTW better than BB. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts