Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...

New here. I am a dog food-a-holic. I currently feed my Corgi Orijen right now and she likes it. I have no problem with it except price. At the pet store yesterday, I noticed they carried Taste of the Wild...at almost half the price. Now I know you get what you pay for and at the end of the day, she only gets 1 cup a day so the food stretches, but the price difference is hard to ignore. Here is my issue...I discovered after buying TOTW that it is a Diamond product and those recalls make me nervous. Is TOTW a top product or just another "bandwagon" grain free food. The place I get her food also carries Evo but not sure of the price difference btwn that and the Orijen.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have honestly not tried it with my dogs, but I have heard a lot of positive feedback from clients at the vet clinic where I work who use it.

When I fed kibble, I was an Orijen fan, but I understand how the price can be daunting! :eek:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
My thoughts...

1. Probably unfair to say that anything Diamond makes is EQUAL to Orijen/Acana.

2. Probably also unfair to say that Taste of the Wild or any of the nicer Diamond foods(Premium Edge, Chicken Soup, 4Health)...are not good quality Dog foods.

I'm trying to be nice on this one ;)....from someone who thinks Champion and Natura are at such a level that I get goosebumps when I see their products ;)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I dont think Totw is top of the line, but under circumstances, I think its a good choice. There are some other grainless options like wellness core and canidae grain free that are less expensive then orijen.
Champion also makes acana provincial, which is slightly lower protein, grain free kibble, costs a bit less.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Agree with Uno....

I'd opt for Canidae Grain Free as long as your Dogs can handle Canidae.

My logic...as long as you are going to buy a food made in a Diamond Factory, I'd at least opt for a food that is at least monitored with a 2nd set of eyes(Canidae).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I certainly don't want to go cheap on her, but when you see how much more Orijen is...

The place I bought TOTW doesn't sell Acana (sp) but is it that much cheaper? When I researched Acana on Dog Food Review, they have it listed as a 5* food while Orijen, EVO and TOTW are listed as a 6*, but sounds like folks on here think it is as good as the others? What about Evo price compared to Orijen?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
bingo. exactly why I hate those ratings systems....to rate a Diamond food higher than Acana....just hard to swallow for me.

Where does integrity of the company come into play? How about a company who spends far more to ensure none of its food is preserved with Ethoxyquin? Dogfoodanalysis states frequently its concerns with Ethoxyquin and yet still rates foods 6 stars with it....kind of confusing.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Vol,

its a sticky topic and one thats sure to draw lots of opinions. But no, anything made under a Diamond roof has fish Meal that is preserved with Ethoxyquin. Destroyed during the cooking process, amounts too low too detect....amounts too low to have any adverse impact to a Dog...these are the responses you'll get from Diamond.

Orijen, Acana, Wellness and Natura products are those I know of who are clear on Ethoxyquin...Nothing is preserved with Ethoxyquin. There may be more, I'm not sure.

For me, its such a symbolic measure of a company. Is Ethoxyquin dangerous? I don't know...but its certainly a possibility and we have a company like Champion/Natura that are devoted to keeping the crap COMPLETELY out their food.

Says a helluva lot to me.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I've heard a lot of positive feedback from people who feed TOTW so it seems to work well at least and the ingredients look good. What you could also do is a food rotation for your pup. Just buy a different bag every time you go and your pup will get lots of variety and different benefits that each company has to offer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was under the impression that all fish in the states is preserved with some amount of ethoxyquin, but I'm no expert.

As far as rotating, I thought that you had to be careful with that in terms of causing runny...well, you know. She already has that problem when we go walking and cleaning a corgi's behind isn't very fun...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
bingo. exactly why I hate those ratings systems....to rate a Diamond food higher than Acana....just hard to swallow for me.

Where does integrity of the company come into play? How about a company who spends far more to ensure none of its food is preserved with Ethoxyquin? Dogfoodanalysis states frequently its concerns with Ethoxyquin and yet still rates foods 6 stars with it....kind of confusing.
sent champion an email and they never responded, but canidae and wellness had samples sent to my house right away. chsampion didnt even respond to my messages.

its HARD to find a perfect kibble company/

i know of orijen having 2 serious issues.
the first is the salmon bone issues. there were large sharp bones in a few lots of their foods. this was corrected i n a few weeks i think, but stilll..

the second issue is how austrailia forced champion to irradiate the food before they could sell it to aussies. champion decided not to tel lthe public about this. they knew the public would not buy the food!! as a result many pets died or got paralysed.

canidae has 2 issues as well..
changed formula with little notice
is manufactured by diamond.

but they were never recalled and none of their foods have actually had problems besides cold turkey switching their foods seem good to me!

heres some links on champions problems you might be interested in!

YouTube - Orijen Irradiated food Cat deaths illness this is hard to watch.

Orijen Concern - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I was under the impression that all fish in the states is preserved with some amount of ethoxyquin, but I'm no expert.

As far as rotating, I thought that you had to be careful with that in terms of causing runny...well, you know. She already has that problem when we go walking and cleaning a corgi's behind isn't very fun...
your dog gets runny on orijen? id say you are either feeding to much, or the food is to rich for her. id say if you want to go grain free, TOTW is a great option. their formulas are 25-32 percent proteins.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Maybe I should see if the Evo is that much cheaper than Orijen.
its mot. and its also more richer also. id say totw might cure the runny poops.

evo is the same price as orijen in my stores./

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
If you do a rotation, you'd wanna take about a week or two of mixing the two foods together, slowly weaning your corgi off of the old and onto the new food. That should help minimize digestive issues. Is your corgi not solid on orijen?

as i understand it, evo and orijen are very similarly priced.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Well, there you go....So if I more economical grain free, it is Canidae (sp) or TOTW.
i feed canidae grain free. its not that cheap. i had a 2 dollar off coupon and it came to 49.35 with taxes for a 30 lb.

totw is prolly cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Should I atleast take back the formula of TOTW? I got the fish formula.

Also, the Acana (sp) that was mentioned...how does it compare cost and quality wise to Orijen?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts