Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I a new member and am looking for some feedback on a quality dog food. We're the owners of 2 1/2 year old English Springer Spaniel and a 5 month old Golden Retriever. When we recently bought the pup the breeder was feeding and recommended Canadae ALS, which we are presently using. I had my doubts as to whether one food could meet all the nutritional requirements of all ages of dogs, so as most do did some internet reserach and as you can well imagine what a nightmare. I realize alot of the posts are untrue and placed by pet food companies to slam other companies etc. However when the smoke clears there are some brands of food that are obviously better brands, Canadae for the most part, one of them. My concern; however is that pups stool is extremely soft (at the risk of sounding gross) to the point that you can't pick it up. The pup is normal and active otherwise. We have recently switched the Springer over to Canadae, as the convienience of one food for both dogs was appealing. Right away the Springer had soft stool and this was after a lengthy transition between the two foods. As a result we are switching foods and leaning towrards Taste of the Wild. Any feedback on this food would be greaty appreciated.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
TOTW is a pretty good brand, its manufactured by diamond which also makes Canidae. Some people have concerns with diamond because their products were recalled in the past, but they seemed to have cleaned up their act.
I still think its a step up from foods with grains and might help you with poo problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretting confusing when you start doing some research. I understand some of the stand alone dog fod producers have been taken over by major food companies and dog food is now and end product; however they still ride along on the reputation the food once had.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You would think with Diamond having such a bad reputation they would certainly do themselves good by cleaning up their act, which hopefully they have. But I still have my druthers about them. I am one of those who stick away from diamond dog foods. I used to feed canidae a ways back and then all the controversy and the horrible things happening with the company i was one on the band wagon never to feed this again or any diamond dog food products, and I still dont! But then I try to think they have to become a better company and still I wont touch the products! There are plenty of premium brands out there that have never been recalled and again I think with the recalled ones gee their company has to clean up their act just like anything recalled! Its like a rock in a hard place! what to do! Its, I think a personal decision, if your comfortable with somehting I say go with it!

·
Registered
333 Posts
im the same as wags. i'm sure diamond is ok now but i'm still a bit iffy on brands that have been recalled in the past. something happened then and they were careless; who's to say it won't happen again?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I have fed Canidae recently with excellent results to my Shepherd Mix. I never fed it before the formula change or before the recall, so I have no experience with that.
I attempted Evo with him, and had good results with it, but I simply can not afford it, (he's a lean 95lbs) and recently looked into TOTW for him has a slightly more affordable grain-free alternative. I emailed them and asked for samples, which they gladly delivered two packets of each flavor within about a week. I just got them yesterday and used a few kibbles as a treat which he gladly ate, so I'm thinking of going that route for him until I can get back on raw in December.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts