Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few months we will be getting a new puppy. I know the breeder is probably going to start the litter on a medium grade kibble. As soon as he comes home I am wanting to switch him to a large breed puppy kibble such as Innova, Wellness, etc (Orijin if I can find it).

My question is would switching him right away be too much stress for him? Should I wait until he gets settled in a bit and then switch? I want to get him on a better food asap, but I don't want to cause any more stress then he will already be going through....

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I think it depends on the puppy. Some puppies go to their new homes without a single hitch, but others get really stressed out. I would say that if your puppy seems to be very stressed, I would wait til things settle in a bit...but that wont take more than a few days to a week. If the puppy is confident and strong I don't see why you couldn't start the switch right away. I think in the grand scheme of things it wont matter much on when you transition regardless of what the puppy is like...but you do want to avoid diarrhea as much as possible LOL!!!

What kind of puppy are you getting???

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! :smile:
That's kinda what I was thinking. I'll be sure to do the switch really slow. Maybe the new food will even help him be more interested in eating if he's one that doesn't eat well when stressed. I'll play it by ear once he is home with us.

We are getting a Black Russian Terrier puppy the end of June, beginning of July. As it gets closer I find it getting even harder to wait!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I know....I had to wait a week to get our last Dane puppy and it seemed like an eternity!

Good luck on the waiting thing and post up some pictures as soon as you get some!!!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I ended up switching Rocky right away. He came from the rescue at 8 weeks with a bag of Science Diet (yuck). He didn't seem at all stressed out but had diarhea immediately and the vet said he had coccidia problems so I just put him straight on Innova Large Breed puppy and some canned pumpkin and threw the Science Diet away. It took about a week to clear up his diarrhea but it could have been from the coccidia and the Science Diet getting out of his system. He acted just fine the whole time and loved the Innova Puppy food. After a few months I switched him to Orijen Large Breed Puppy and he thrived on that, too.

Good luck with your puppy!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
In a few months we will be getting a new puppy. I know the breeder is probably going to start the litter on a medium grade kibble. As soon as he comes home I am wanting to switch him to a large breed puppy kibble such as Innova, Wellness, etc (Orijin if I can find it).

My question is would switching him right away be too much stress for him? Should I wait until he gets settled in a bit and then switch? I want to get him on a better food asap, but I don't want to cause any more stress then he will already be going through....

Any thoughts?
idk if the breeder is open to this or not, but maybe you can buy the food ahead of time, and give some bags to the breeder to feed your puppy. this is just a thought!

if he doesnt want to feed two foods, i dont see much harm in switching your fog slowly to a good food. just make sure not to give evo =p.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i agree with Natalie, all depends on the puppy! i noticed another individual mentioned something about pumpkin, let me tell you, the fruitables pumpkin digestive supplement worked wonders when i got my new puppy. For whatever reason, the breeder was switching food on the puppy by the day! his excuse was that by doing that the puppy would go home with the new family willing to eat anything, i didnt buy that, i think he was cheap and probably gathered samples from placed and just fed them that. Anyways, when i got her, she wouldnt eat anything and was super skinny, until i started mixing the pumpkin digestive supplement, i recommend this to anyone who has a son or daugher that is a finicky eater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts