Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my dogs a Rottweiler and Bullboxer EVO kibble and EVO can and sometimes throw in Orijen just to change the taste a bit. These foods I know are good types of dog food. Due to the economy I need to switch foods. My question is the above foods are grain free and I would like to stay grain free. My local pet store now carries Taste of The Wild and Canidae. Now here where I live I can get Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine formula a grain free all life stage formula for roughly $1.30 a pound and Canidae All life Stage Formula for roughly $1.20 a pound. Now I know that TOTW is grain free as it states on the bag but on the Canidae bag is shows this (Made the CANIDAE® Way with Superior Quality: No Corn, Wheat, Soy, Grain Fractions or Fillers and Naturally Preserved). So my question is which would be comparable to EVO and Orijen and are they both comperable. Also TOTW has a lot less protein at 27% and Canidae has the same as EVO.

Thanks

tpdtopcop

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have been feeding my dogs a Rottweiler and Bullboxer EVO kibble and EVO can and sometimes throw in Orijen just to change the taste a bit. These foods I know are good types of dog food. Due to the economy I need to switch foods. My question is the above foods are grain free and I would like to stay grain free. My local pet store now carries Taste of The Wild and Canidae. Now here where I live I can get Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine formula a grain free all life stage formula for roughly $1.30 a pound and Canidae All life Stage Formula for roughly $1.20 a pound. Now I know that TOTW is grain free as it states on the bag but on the Canidae bag is shows this (Made the CANIDAE® Way with Superior Quality: No Corn, Wheat, Soy, Grain Fractions or Fillers and Naturally Preserved). So my question is which would be comparable to EVO and Orijen and are they both comperable. Also TOTW has a lot less protein at 27% and Canidae has the same as EVO.

Thanks

tpdtopcop
I just looked online and TOTW High Prairie has 32% protein. This is a good amount of protein and it's a great feed. Canidae also just came out with a grain free formula and it's called Canidae ALS. It's a bit high on the carbs though. It's got 26%. I don't know how much carbs TOTW has...

I don't know if TOTW and Canidae can compare to Evo and Orijen. In my opinion Evo and Orijen are the best feeds out there... :smile:

But, between Canidae and TOTW, I would go with TOTW High Prairie...I love that it has venison and bison.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Made the CANIDAE® Way with Superior Quality: No Corn, Wheat, Soy, Grain Fractions or Fillers and Naturally Preserved.
This food is not grain free. If it were, it'd say, "grain free". They want to give the impression it's grain free.

·
Registered
718 Posts
TOTW High Prairie Canine Formula is grain free but uses sweet potatoes, peas, and potatoes as fillers instead of grain. Is that better than grains? Who know. My dogs crapped their brains out on TOTW. Huge and frequent stools. Must have been a lot of stuff in there they they simply couldn't process (i.e. potatoes and peas).

CANIDAE® All Life Stage dry formula food uses brown rice, white rice, rice bran, peas, potatoes, oatmeal, and cracked pearled barley as fillers. Rice, oatmeal, and barley are all grains. Probably not as offensive as corn, wheat, and soy but fillers nonetheless.

Just my observation after trying quite a few different dry foods before I went raw but when you buy a food with these fillers it may be cheaper per pound but it will take more of it for your dog to get the same useful nutrition than they require from a low or no filler food. So are you really saving anything? I sure wasn't and on top of that I spent half my life cleaning up after them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
TOTW High Prairie Canine Formula is grain free but uses sweet potatoes, peas, and potatoes as fillers instead of grain. Is that better than grains? Who know. My dogs crapped their brains out on TOTW. Huge and frequent stools. Must have been a lot of stuff in there they they simply couldn't process (i.e. potatoes and peas).

CANIDAE® All Life Stage dry formula food uses brown rice, white rice, rice bran, peas, potatoes, oatmeal, and cracked pearled barley as fillers. Rice, oatmeal, and barley are all grains. Probably not as offensive as corn, wheat, and soy but fillers nonetheless.

Just my observation after trying quite a few different dry foods before I went raw but when you buy a food with these fillers it may be cheaper per pound but it will take more of it for your dog to get the same useful nutrition than they require from a low or no filler food. So are you really saving anything? I sure wasn't and on top of that I spent half my life cleaning up after them.
Most grain-free kibbles contain potatoes and peas.

Fillers are feeds that have very little to no nutrient value. I would consider beet pulp, almond hulls, peanut shells, etc. to be fillers, but not the feedstuffs you are talking about since they all contain available nutrients and energy in them.

OP: IMO, TotW is a great feed and something I feed to my pooches. I have also recommended it to others and they have had great success. While it may not be good for some dogs, as with any feed, it is something to consider. Same goes for Canidae.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts