Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to two local suppliers and after being informed of their prices...grocery stores here are much cheaper. One supplier had chicken necks, quarters and backs on sale and were still more expensive than our local stores. Is this normal or do all of you have more luck with suppliers?

Yes, I know, it's only two and still will check with others but if this is how it goes...stores it is...at least for now. I am stocked for 2 to 3 months but want to get things lined up for future buys.

·
Registered
167 Posts
RFD is right. The larger the order the cheaper the price and suppliers don't want to mess with small orders.

When I was doing kibble it was more cost effective for me to purchase in bulk. For every 400 lbs I baught at a time I got a price cut. So I may have only purchased dog food every 3 months but it was cheaper to buy 800 pounds at a time and store it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They each stated, they would sell by the case 40lbs and no minimum amount required.

I called a local distributer here and they are higher than buying from local grocery stores too. They also push Blue Ridge Beef and attempted at hard selling me before I cut him off quickly. I felt that was their main focus on sales.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I suggest you do what I do. I get a grocery store to order for me and just add my order to their order. I pay him what he pays for a case of whatever plus a couple of dollars. You can only do tihs with small independent stores (not chains). Chain stores just don't have a mechanism for doing this. Their orders/prices are usually handled at the main office level. Don't call these small stores, visit in person. Explain tothem that they don't have to do anything to the order except place it in their cooler and you will pick it up just a few hours after delivery. They don't have to price, package or any of that stuff.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have to work on that. I spoke with several butchers with chain stores regarding buying in bulk but was informed it would not save me any money...same price as if I bought off the floor. We don't have independent groceries where I live except for the organic place I shop but they don't buy such items. I have been referred to a couple small independent ethnic groceries. I am planning on visiting in person, of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts