Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm totally revealing to everyone that I have no life this Friday night, but oh well. :biggrin:

I was wondering...I know that most raw feeders don't use supplements, buuuuutttttt....do any of you? Anything at all...

For example: I've always had Brady on a joint supplement (he has a luxating patella on one of his hind legs), and a vitamin C supplement (since he's around other dogs all day at work, and there are definitely some not so healthy looking pups that come in. lol) I might be cutting out the vitamin C, but I haven't completely decided yet.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
OK, so I'm totally revealing to everyone that I have no life this Friday night, but oh well. :biggrin:
I just spent about 5 hours cutting up meat for the dogs, and checking facebook every 20 minutes. lol. Yayyyy friday!

I was wondering...I know that most raw feeders don't use supplements, buuuuutttttt....do any of you? Anything at all...
I use them when the need arrises. My GSD has had weak knees since day one. I've had him on a joint supplement for about a year now. I heard on here that chicken feet are great for joints, so I'm starting those on the first, and eliminating the supplement and seeing if I notice any kind of change.

I don't use vitamin C regularly, because it's important for their bodies to rely on itself to produce natural defenses, and constantly giving it in pill form can make their bodies produce less naturally... I'd cut this out except when you really need it. (ie. Annie is on it to help kick a case of oral puppy warts)

I used to give fish oil every day, but mostly because my dogs like the capsules as treats. I ran out about a month ago and haven't gotten any more, but I should. Good for hearts, and having a boxer, maintaining optimum heart health is so so important.

I don't feel there is any need to supplement a healthy dog, at no risk of a particular ailment, on a properly balanced raw diet. But, for dogs with some sort of issue or weakness, then supplementing makes sense.

ETA: I used a cranberry supplement with Annie for a little bit when I was pretty sure she was getting a UTI or yeast infection (not sure which, she just had thicker, smelly discharge from her vilva) and that fixed it within a week. I guess I'd prefer to go natural supplement than conventional antibiotics in any situation.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just spent about 5 hours cutting up meat for the dogs, and checking facebook every 20 minutes. lol. Yayyyy friday!
Awwww...you make me feel better...thanks. :wink: lol j/k

I don't use vitamin C regularly, because it's important for their bodies to rely on itself to produce natural defenses, and constantly giving it in pill form can make their bodies produce less naturally... I'd cut this out except when you really need it. (ie. Annie is on it to help kick a case of oral puppy warts)
Thanks for the tip. I never even thought of that. I'll give it a rest then. :smile:

·
Registered
253 Posts
When we first adopted Jody, GSD, she was on antibiotics and not processing her kibble very well so I started giving her a fairly exensive refridgerated probiotic from the health food store. I switched to raw soon after that and just continued with the probiotic because I kept reading how it helps with the transition from kibble to raw. I was mentioning this and RawFedDogs asked me why I gave it and I just did out of habit I stopped the next day and I didn't haven't noticed any difference.

I do give fish oil and will probably do this until I introduce my dog to raw fish.
I also give Vitamin E every other day because I heard it was necessary when giving fish oil. (Not sure how true that is either!).

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
For example: I've always had Brady on a joint supplement (he has a luxating patella on one of his hind legs), and a vitamin C supplement (since he's around other dogs all day at work, and there are definitely some not so healthy looking pups that come in. lol) I might be cutting out the vitamin C, but I haven't completely decided yet.
Vitamin C is one of those vitamins that unlike humans, dogs produce internally. Humans must have vitamin C in their diet or they will be deficient and have health problems. Dogs on the other hand, produce all they need internally and don't need external sources. Giving a dog vitamin C does nothing other than produce expensive pee as excess is eliminated from the body by the kidneys.

The only supplement I give is glucosamine for Abby's bad hip.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I feel comfortable with the following:

Salmon Oil and Vit E daily

Alfalfa and Kelp powder--1 tsp each 2x/week

I've been giving her a probiotic because of terrible poop issues we had while on kibble, and it's now force of habit. I don't think it hurts her, but I may stop this. Undecided.

I have read that supplementing with Vit C actually stops the dogs from producing their own, which they do. Then you're stuck supplementing forever because they lose the ability to do so.

Re Friday night--I was in bed at 8:30 curled up watching the Olympics. :smile:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I also give my dogs 1000mg fish oil cap and a vit. E for heart health, it was recommended by many bullterrier raw feeders, I also add sea kelp about three times a week.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that would suck if supplementing vitamin C really does stop them from making their own. :frown:

He's been on it for a little over a year consistantly...think that would have created any issues?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well that would suck if supplementing vitamin C really does stop them from making their own. :frown:

He's been on it for a little over a year consistantly...think that would have created any issues?
I have no idea. That's going to take some sleuthing. Maybe someone here knows the real deal on the Vit C issue. And if it is true, then just keep him on it. Really no harm done if it has to go that way.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts

I highly doubt it makes them stop making their own, it jsut allows their body to rely more on the supplemented vitamin C, rather than the natural defenses their own bodies produce.
Maybe cut the dose in half for a while before quitting? Though I don't think you'd have trouble stopping "cold turkey" either.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I highly doubt it makes them stop making their own, it jsut allows their body to rely more on the supplemented vitamin C, rather than the natural defenses their own bodies produce.
Maybe cut the dose in half for a while before quitting? Though I don't think you'd have trouble stopping "cold turkey" either.
Yeah, I'm not really worried about it. He's a trooper. :biggrin:

The pill's to hard to break in half anyway. :tongue:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Fish oil caps are given out at random really, and more like a treat more than a supplement...but probably close to 2 or 3 per day or so. We have just started Shiloh on a zinc supplement to see if that will help with her itching issue...since she has always been itchy and Nordic breeds are prone to zinc deficiency so we are giving it a shot. Glucosamine supplements are not given since they don't seem to show any relief at all.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glucosamine supplements are not given since they don't seem to show any relief at all.
I've been hearing a lot of people around here saying that...

For a while now I've been giving Brady a hip and joint supplement for his luxating patella. Now, it does have a lot more than just glucosamine in it, but I've seen a big difference since putting him on them. Whenever there's been a long period of time when he wasn't on them, the limp comes back.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of people around here saying that...

For a while now I've been giving Brady a hip and joint supplement for his luxating patella. Now, it does have a lot more than just glucosamine in it, but I've seen a big difference since putting him on them. Whenever there's been a long period of time when he wasn't on them, the limp comes back.
Then by all means keep up with them. Supplements rarely cause any harm, so if you notice improvement while giving them that tells me that they are working. They work for some dogs (and even people) but not for others. It's just one of those things...?

In the end you should do whatever makes you feel most comfortable when it comes to feeding your best friend. Give supplements if you feel they work, if not cut them out.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
harrkim120, I know you don't care to hear anything I have to say but my female bull terrier has a luxating patella; left hind, she has not had a issue since I've been taking her to water therapy once a week, I'd like to do twice a week but they are booked. She really enjoys the water and always has a smile on her face. Maybe you have something like this in your area. Lap of Luxury | Canine Warm Water Therapy

·
Registered
441 Posts
I also give my dogs 1000mg fish oil cap and a vit. E for heart health, it was recommended by many bullterrier raw feeders, I also add sea kelp about three times a week.
What does the sea kelp do for the dogs?? I haven't heard a lot about that stuff. Then again, I haven't been on here in a while either. :)
Is it something that is worth my time and money to get and start using on my boys?? I really don't know why they would need a sea vegitation in their diet.
I also give the Salmon oil, I have thought about starting both of the boys on a glucosamine/condroiten low dose to help keep their joints going strong since I don't know anything about their family medical history. Other then that, nothing. I don't see why they would need it when they get most, if not everything from their PMR diet. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts