Dog Food Chat banner

Super healthy Dog food

29K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  dogzgroomer 
#1 · (Edited)
I started feeding my dog this food after trying multiple types of dry dog food and all of them giving her digestive issues. This has been created after researching the healthiest ingredients to make sure she is getting proper complete nutrition. This made 1 week worth of meals for a 38lb dog, at 3/4-1cup servings 2x per day.

Suggestions please! First time doing this.

1/2 small pack of baby carrots chopped to bite size pieces
1-2 celery stalks chopped
1 broccoli stalk including stem chopped
1/2 bag of spinach
1 cup green beans chopped
1 1/2 cups brown rice cooked
1 lb ground meat (chicken,turkey,or lean beef. I buy whats on sale)
1 beef liver or other organ meat
1/4 cup apple sauce (make sure it's just pureed apple, no seasoning)
3/4 cup of pureed canned pumpkin
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 eggs with shells (dry and crush shells finely)

Steam all the veggies until tender, set aside.
Cook and drain the ground meat. Place back in pan and mix in your apple sauce and 1/2 cup of puree pumpkin. Set aside. Cut liver into bite size pieces, cook and add to ground meat mixture. Add eggs and ground shells.

Mix cooked rice,meat mixture, steamed veggies and raw apple pieces together.
Heat up chicken broth in pan and whisk in remaining 1/4 cup of pumpkin to thicken. Pour into meat and veggies and mix together.

Your dog will love it!

See less See more
#43 ·
Most here believe that pedigree is a pretty "bad" food. I don't like pedigree very much. It's had problems with its food having foreign objects in it (plastic mostly). Your pup might not want to eat because he's full or just doesn't want to eat that food if he doesn't have to (as in he's not hungry enough to be "forced" into eating it). Personally, I would feed a different brand of food, but then again I am a big proponent of feeding a variety of foods.

#45 ·
The danger here, as many have kinda said, is you have absolutely no idea of the actual nutrient levels you are feeding. You could be feeding way too much protein or worse phosphorus, too litttle calcium, even omitting many micro nutrients like minerals and vitamins. Its the perfect example of great ingredients but perhaps very harmful nutrient levels. I know none of us trust food companies much, for good reason usually, but I still think its better to choose a company with real research and actual nutritionists and chemists, and decide among them. If we really are interested in using nutrition to proactively keep our pets healthy and reduce those age related diseases like heart and kidney issues, home recipes can be dangerous.

#47 ·
I love that you've decided to prepare your dog's food yourself. But, as others have mentioned this recipe is certainly not balanced.

It's difficult to really provide balanced nutrition in each meal. The process of rotating recipes and ensuring your dog gets all the necessary nutrition is quite complicated. If you want to cook for your dog, I highly recommend you pick up a reputable book which provides precise recipes and has some assurance that the diet is balanced (AAFCO or NRC). The recipes themselves are not what I complicated, but the rotation and ingredient potions.

#52 · (Edited)
Yes, my Yorkie also has gastrointestinal problems if I give him dog food. And I will try the recipe you shared, and I hope my dog finally regains his stomach and will not constantly vomit. When by the way, my dog got sick, I decided to go to the vet. And he, in turn, advised me to give my dog special supplements and vitamins to strengthen the immune system and better work the stomach. After all, for sure, many people know that Yorks often have problems with the gastrointestinal tract. So I decided to read about vitamins and supplements on Google and came across this site Ruff Hero. I didn't even know that many supplements are beneficial to our pets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.