Dog Food Chat banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Dogs dont need alot of protein, to much is hard on there kidneys. My dog is very high energy and to make sure she gets enough vitamins and minerals I included lots of veg. Apple sauce provides vitamin c/ fiber.
who said?

if you want to home cook properly , (in my opinion, your percentages are off-way off) get a good book (lew olson comes to mind-raw and natural nutrition for dogs) and follow some of their suggestions.

and i home cook a liver support diet for my oldest lab who has /had liver issues from toxic food.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Most here believe that pedigree is a pretty "bad" food. I don't like pedigree very much. It's had problems with its food having foreign objects in it (plastic mostly). Your pup might not want to eat because he's full or just doesn't want to eat that food if he doesn't have to (as in he's not hungry enough to be "forced" into eating it). Personally, I would feed a different brand of food, but then again I am a big proponent of feeding a variety of foods.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The danger here, as many have kinda said, is you have absolutely no idea of the actual nutrient levels you are feeding. You could be feeding way too much protein or worse phosphorus, too litttle calcium, even omitting many micro nutrients like minerals and vitamins. Its the perfect example of great ingredients but perhaps very harmful nutrient levels. I know none of us trust food companies much, for good reason usually, but I still think its better to choose a company with real research and actual nutritionists and chemists, and decide among them. If we really are interested in using nutrition to proactively keep our pets healthy and reduce those age related diseases like heart and kidney issues, home recipes can be dangerous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love that you've decided to prepare your dog's food yourself. But, as others have mentioned this recipe is certainly not balanced.

It's difficult to really provide balanced nutrition in each meal. The process of rotating recipes and ensuring your dog gets all the necessary nutrition is quite complicated. If you want to cook for your dog, I highly recommend you pick up a reputable book which provides precise recipes and has some assurance that the diet is balanced (AAFCO or NRC). The recipes themselves are not what I complicated, but the rotation and ingredient potions.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts