Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started feeding my dog this food after trying multiple types of dry dog food and all of them giving her digestive issues. This has been created after researching the healthiest ingredients to make sure she is getting proper complete nutrition. This made 1 week worth of meals for a 38lb dog, at 3/4-1cup servings 2x per day.

Suggestions please! First time doing this.

1/2 small pack of baby carrots chopped to bite size pieces
1-2 celery stalks chopped
1 broccoli stalk including stem chopped
1/2 bag of spinach
1 cup green beans chopped
1 1/2 cups brown rice cooked
1 lb ground meat (chicken,turkey,or lean beef. I buy whats on sale)
1 beef liver or other organ meat
1/4 cup apple sauce (make sure it's just pureed apple, no seasoning)
3/4 cup of pureed canned pumpkin
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 eggs with shells (dry and crush shells finely)

Steam all the veggies until tender, set aside.
Cook and drain the ground meat. Place back in pan and mix in your apple sauce and 1/2 cup of puree pumpkin. Set aside. Cut liver into bite size pieces, cook and add to ground meat mixture. Add eggs and ground shells.

Mix cooked rice,meat mixture, steamed veggies and raw apple pieces together.
Heat up chicken broth in pan and whisk in remaining 1/4 cup of pumpkin to thicken. Pour into meat and veggies and mix together.

Your dog will love it!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
1 pound of meat for a 44 lb dog for one week seems awfully light to me. I would think a dog that size would need way more meat to have adequate protein in its diet.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
That is approximately 17g of protein per day for a 40lb dog, 13g less than NRC recommendations.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Thats almost no meat, and lots of pretty useless veggies/fruits for the most part. If you want to fix food at home yourself, why not try raw? Lots of folks here who can help you and answer questions.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thats a lot of veggies! And milk, eeks! Your dog must have an iron gut, mine would definitely have some explosive diarrhea...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
personally, i would cut the veg/rice amount in half, increase the meat portion (with added organ meats and bone meal) to at least 2 lbs and get rid of the applesauce. i do believe that dogs should be fed meat heavy foods because it is easier for most dog systems to get nutrients from meats. i also think that the veg and "grain" should be changed up often to give a greater variety to full filll nutritional needs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed. Shes actually 37-38 pounds. Added egg to the recipe to supplement protein. Dogs dont need a lot of protein. To much is actually hard on there kidneys. Also instead of milk, I added plain yogurt which has protein and probiotics for digestion. That recipe was just a start, first attempt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If u look up the healthiest fruits and veg, all of the ones ive included are good for dogs. Some I felt were useless too like celery but it's actually good for them. To get all the vitamins and minerals there has to b a variety. U only get certain things from each vegetable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dogs dont need alot of protein, to much is hard on there kidneys. My dog is very high energy and to make sure she gets enough vitamins and minerals I included lots of veg. Apple sauce provides vitamin c/ fiber.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i would eat this in a nano second. i prefer fresh veggies.

I started feeding my dog this food after trying multiple types of dry dog food and all of them giving her digestive issues. This has been created after researching the healthiest ingredients to make sure she is getting proper complete nutrition. This made 1 week worth of meals for a 38lb dog, at 3/4-1cup servings 2x per day.
Please note that my dog requires more daily fibre due to digestive issues so there is alot of vegetables plus rice is the only grain she can eat, its the easiest to digest. Suggestions please! First time doing this.

3/4 small pack of baby carrots chopped to bite size pieces
2-3 celery stalks chopped
1 bag of spinach
1 med apple chopped
1/2 cup apple sauce (make sure it's just pureed apple, no seasoning)
2/3 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup of plain yogurt
3 eggs

Cook and drain the ground meat. Place back in pan and mix in your apple sauce and 1/2 cup of puree pumpkin. Set aside.

Heat up chicken broth in pan and whisk in remaining 1/4 cup of pumpkin to thicken. Pour into meat and veggies and mix together. Add yogurt.

Your dog will love it!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
when i give my dog an egg shell i take the egg out of the shell. let the shell dry.
i bake the shell. once it's done i put the shell in the coffee grinder. it grinds
to the consistency of granulated garlic.

QUOTE=Georgiapeach;226304]Give the shell (wash them out, let dry, then crush them up finely) along with the eggs. They contain calcium, I believe.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Please note that my dog requires more daily fibre due to digestive issues so there is alot of vegetables plus rice is the only grain she can eat, its the easiest to digest. Suggestions please! First time doing this.

3/4 small pack of baby carrots chopped to bite size pieces
2-3 celery stalks chopped
1 bag of spinach
1 med apple chopped
1/2 cup apple sauce (make sure it's just pureed apple, no seasoning)
2/3 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup of plain yogurt
3 eggs

Cook and drain the ground meat. Place back in pan and mix in your apple sauce and 1/2 cup of puree pumpkin. Set aside.

Heat up chicken broth in pan and whisk in remaining 1/4 cup of pumpkin to thicken. Pour into meat and veggies and mix together. Add yogurt.

Your dog will love it!
Yikes, I do not think this is balanced. Way too much veg and grain, not enough meat. This recipe reminds me of a knock off version of the Hilary's Blend you can get at a vets office.

Also, the calcium in milk products is not compatible with either humans or dogs. Yogurt alone will not fulfill the daily calcium requirements. And without enough meat you may end up throwing off the calcium to phosphorus ratio.

If I were you I would revise this meal plan. And if you are not comfortable doing raw, I would add some of The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw, because they add some of the vitamins and minerals. Or find a high quality supplement.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
yikes.
I applaud you for feeding home prepared food! That's wonderful that you care enough to recognize that commercial foods are simply not even comparable to a REAL food diet. However, I do think it's a bit heavy on the veg, and lacking a few main components.
Dogs, being opportunistic carnivores, are able to extract nutrients from plant matter to a degree, but their entire bodies are much more compatible with animal products, and those are so much more easily digested.
For calcium, I'd swap the yogurt (most dogs do not tolerate lactose well anyway) for egg shells, bone meal, or (better yet) raw bones.
Also, Liver is a HUGE bang when it comes to nutrients. It offers Vitamin A, Vitamin D, all B vitamins, Iron, Phosphorous, and more. It's best fed raw, but cooked will still offer advantages, especially if you include the liquid it cooks in.
Heart is high in zinc and important amino acids.
Kidney is a great source for riboflavin, trace minerals, and B12.
By replacing a chunk of your vegetable matter with these more species-appropriate foods you're offering more biologically available nutrients to your pet, which is so much easier on the digestive system! I personally greatly prefer to feed a raw diet, but home-cooked can be so healthy and well-balanced and meet a dog's nutritional needs FAR better than kibble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to everyone who gave helpful suggestions! It's difficult to know exactly what to include when there's so much contradictory information about home made dog food. It's been a week and lexus is finally having consistent proper bowl movements! Next batch will include the suggestions from a few helpful people. Next recipe I will post for feedback. I just want whats best for her :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
...animal products, and those are so much more easily digested.
...which is so much easier on the digestive system!
No. When I see ppl talk about "hunger pukes" I shake my head. Call it what you want but there are no such thing as "hunger pukes" Ultimately it doesn't matter, the dog pukes because something is up with the diet, barring the dog eating something he/she shouldn't have eaten of course. A dog will ultimately throw up bile when there is an excess of acid produced by an improperly balanced meat heavy diet. Meat require lots of acid to be digested, starch requires close to zero acid production. If a dog frequently throw up bile the worst thing you can do is to give your dog a meat snack because you think he/she is hungry. Sure it will temporarily stop the barfing but it will also cause the stomach acidity to go down (yet again) towards battery acid levels. A dogs stomach lining can sustain ultra low acid levels for a short period but if it is more or less a constant state damage will slowly occur. Some like to bring in the wolf as an example. A wolf do not get fed a constant stream of meats. It can take a long time until he/she eats again so a constant state of dangerously low acid levels is not an issue for wild wolfs.

CorgiPaws said:
I'd swap the yogurt (most dogs do not tolerate lactose well anyway)
I agree, get rid of the yogurt. However, lactose is a matter of reduced digestion due to poor production of an enzyme called lactase. The intolerance have nothing to do with lactose but rather a reaction to proteins found in dairy. Two separate issues.

The OP is on the right way but there is still lots to tweak to make this balanced. But, in my opinion, a home cooked diet like this is better choice for most dogs than a strict prey based raw diet.

Good luck with with your formulation krazikay :smile:

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Dogs dont need alot of protein, to much is hard on there kidneys. My dog is very high energy and to make sure she gets enough vitamins and minerals I included lots of veg. Apple sauce provides vitamin c/ fiber.

Raw really isn't real high in protein because of the water content. When raw is fed in a variety of meat,bones and organs you don't need all the veggies, apple sauce etc.....Raw in variety supplies all the nutrients needed. With the exception of the omegas, unless you feed all grass fed meats only. If not you will need to add fish oil. But that's it.

Reactions: Kat

·
Registered
851 Posts
No. When I see ppl talk about "hunger pukes" I shake my head. Call it what you want but there are no such thing as "hunger pukes" Ultimately it doesn't matter, the dog pukes because something is up with the diet, barring the dog eating something he/she shouldn't have eaten of course. A dog will ultimately throw up bile when there is an excess of acid produced by an improperly balanced meat heavy diet. Meat require lots of acid to be digested, starch requires close to zero acid production. If a dog frequently throw up bile the worst thing you can do is to give your dog a meat snack because you think he/she is hungry. Sure it will temporarily stop the barfing but it will also cause the stomach acidity to go down (yet again) towards battery acid levels. A dogs stomach lining can sustain ultra low acid levels for a short period but if it is more or less a constant state damage will slowly occur. Some like to bring in the wolf as an example. A wolf do not get fed a constant stream of meats. It can take a long time until he/she eats again so a constant state of dangerously low acid levels is not an issue for wild wolfs.

The OP is on the right way but there is still lots to tweak to make this balanced. But, in my opinion, a home cooked diet like this is better choice for most dogs than a strict prey based raw diet.

Good luck with with your formulation krazikay :smile:
I have to admit I found this interesting. Duke has never had a hunger puke while on raw. The only thing I can think of why is because his grinds (I feed Blue Ridge Beef) might be a bit more than 10% bone. I also have to admit I'd be scared if Duke threw up bile.

I also say I feed to PMR standards, but not completely strict PMR. I do believe supplements are needed as we can't truly recreate a wolf's diet and farming today is not carefully monitored so nutrients are not in the meat to the levels that a dog might need. So I'm adding in an alfalfa/kelp mix as a multi vitamin and mineral. Along with that, Boxers can have a lot of health problems so I'm adding in supplements needed for his breed that I believe will help him such as the kelp.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts