Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I called that Harvest Meats distribution place, and I can order cases through them. :biggrin: And I don't have to order a bazillion pounds either. :biggrin: :biggrin:

There is no minimum if I pick up the order, 300lb minimum if I want it delivered. I got my price list yesterday, and it's like 45 minutes from my house, so I'm all there.

Can't wait!!!!

I want to buy everything!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Thats very COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!:biggrin:

Reactions: harrkim120

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Well, I can tell you what we order...but we have 4 big dogs LOL. They have a HUGE selection of product so always ask for an updated list of meats they have.

Regularly:

Chicken quarters
Chicken backs
Turkey necks
Turkey wings
Pork riblets
Pork kidney*
Pork liver*
Whole tilapia
Beef ribs
Beef heart- Our branch of Harvest meats gets it in three different ways, so you might want to ask how it comes before you order. It comes either in HUGE whole chunks that probably weigh 5 pounds each (a pain in the a$$ to work with), chopped and vacuum packed into 1 pound cubes, or a 1 pound whole chunk that is vacuum packed. I prefer the chopped cube one because it doesn't have nearly as much fat as the other two and I can mix organs into it and the girls don't notice.

I usually spend about a half hour on the phone with Harvest going over prices of things per pound since they constantly fluctuate. I also ask how many pounds is in a case because some cases weigh 20 pounds and some weigh 60 so its always good to know so you can be prepared.

You will also want to think about the logistics of thawing all this meat out and repackaging it all up. We have a pretty good system set up now. It takes a good 2-4 days for the huge cases to thaw out completely at room temp. We put them all in HUGE rubbermaid containers with locking lids and just let them sit out for a few days. I will then package everything up into smaller containers.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
These turkey gizzards are pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'd share them if I could. :(

It's nice because it's a boneless meat that is cheap and huge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts