Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for suggestions for a good, primarily lamb based, kibble (other animal proteins in the formula are ok). I'd prefer grain free, but that isn't necessarily a must. I would also prefer food without chicken if possible.

My boy prefers lamb and I'm looking to feed him something better than what he's currently on, Infinia Bison the (2nd ingredient is lamb meal).

I'm just curious about what may be out there that I'm not aware of.

I took a trip to a specialty feed store tonight and did get a sample bag of Acana Grasslands, which my boy seems to like, but didn't get to look around as much as I wanted as he was already tired from going to PetsMart and wanted to leave. So I didn't get to see everything they have.

I can get TOTW, Blue, and pretty much any formula of Wellness locally. Anything else and I'd either have to have it shipped or travel a minimum of 30min.

I've fed the NutriSource grain free lamb, but that made him throw up quite regularly for some reason, so that's out. He normally has an iron gut, so that shocked me. He didn't throw up after every meal, but it was pretty often when he was on it - which he didn't even finish one bag of. I let my other dog finish out the rest of that bag.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
if he ikes grasslands...i;d say go with that..but totw high prairie is a good food an so is wetlands(but it has chicken fat) I not a fan of their sierra mountain formula(lamb).
nutrisca makes a lamb food that is potato free.
bac to basics doesnt have lamb, but im impressed u their formulas.

but i'd go with the grasslands for now..i want to try that eventually!
I'm looking for suggestions for a good, primarily lamb based, kibble (other animal proteins in the formula are ok). I'd prefer grain free, but that isn't necessarily a must. I would also prefer food without chicken if possible.

My boy prefers lamb and I'm looking to feed him something better than what he's currently on, Infinia Bison the (2nd ingredient is lamb meal).

I'm just curious about what may be out there that I'm not aware of.

I took a trip to a specialty feed store tonight and did get a sample bag of Acana Grasslands, which my boy seems to like, but didn't get to look around as much as I wanted as he was already tired from going to PetsMart and wanted to leave. So I didn't get to see everything they have.

I can get TOTW, Blue, and pretty much any formula of Wellness locally. Anything else and I'd either have to have it shipped or travel a minimum of 30min.

I've fed the NutriSource grain free lamb, but that made him throw up quite regularly for some reason, so that's out. He normally has an iron gut, so that shocked me. He didn't throw up after every meal, but it was pretty often when he was on it - which he didn't even finish one bag of. I let my other dog finish out the rest of that bag.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Unosmom. I hadn't heard of the Annamaet Manitok and didn't know about the NV Instinct LID.

I'm gonna try to go back to the specialty food store soon and see if I can get some samples of some other non-lamb based kibbles to see if I can change his mind.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks Unosmom. I hadn't heard of the Annamaet Manitok and didn't know about the NV Instinct LID.

I'm gonna try to go back to the specialty food store soon and see if I can get some samples of some other non-lamb based kibbles to see if I can change his mind.
Annamaet has been around as long as all the other companies combined, pretty much.

Never a recall and owned by a guy known globally for his expertise in canine nutrition. It is a relatively small company but you should be able to find it.

Manitok is an excellent food for a large/giant breed because it has very high omega 3's, over 1.5%.

I use Manitok myself. The other foods mentioned aren't in the same league. The Facebook Page shows Manitok will have Buffalo instead of Catfish Meal in the current production. My dogs love this food and except for few a months have been on Annamaet for years and years.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Annamaet has been around as long as all the other companies combined, pretty much.

Never a recall and owned by a guy known globally for his expertise in canine nutrition. It is a relatively small company but you should be able to find it.

Manitok is an excellent food for a large/giant breed because it has very high omega 3's, over 1.5%.

I use Manitok myself. The other foods mentioned aren't in the same league.
Seriously? The last 20 times you were banned wasn't enough? Trolling a dog food forum is a bit sad.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Why do you? I know a lot about human and animal nutrition.

Reactions: Scarlett_O'

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

I use Manitok myself. The other foods mentioned aren't in the same league. The Facebook Page shows Manitok will have Buffalo instead of Catfish Meal in the current production. My dogs love this food and except for few a months have been on Annamaet for years and years.
Jesus, Even I know who you are.............Get a life would you! All you ever do is bash competition, can't handle it..Taking money out of your pocket?

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
who iss he?
Jesus, Even I know who you are.............Get a life would you! All you ever do is bash competition, can't handle it..Taking money out of your pocket?

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
todd?
germanshepard lover?
He's been around for years.Spouting Annamaet and how good it is...I really have to think about his name back then, he got banned then came back as someone else, banned again.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Oh, I think it was Claybuster.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh, I think it was Claybuster.....
I am just stating my opinion. I actually know what I am talking about, you don't.

You and all the other "resident experts" should mind your own business.

You and a few others just read labels and don't know a thing about pet foods.

Annamaet is one of the best, best made and most tested foods on the market. Even this site said it was one of the best foods reviewed.

"Overall, we very highly recommend Annamaet dog food formulas. We believe that their grain-free formulas are among the best formulas that we have reviewed to date and contain excellent quality ingredients."

And I am not Claybuster, who the hell is that.....

So go crawl back in your hole WhiteLeo.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I am just stating my opinion. I actually know what I am talking about, you don't.

Annamaet is one of the best, best made and most tested foods on the market. Even this site said it was one of the best foods reviewed.

"Overall, we very highly recommend Annamaet dog food formulas. We believe that their grain-free formulas are among the best formulas that we have reviewed to date and contain excellent quality ingredients."

Oh, I think I know exactly what I'm talking about....I don't read labels because I don't feed kibble to my own dogs, BUT I do feed Acana to my rescues who come in before being placed and every single one of them has done amazing well on it....And, don't think your sarcasm isn't lost on me as I think you know exactly who Claybuster is.....

Reactions: Scarlett_O'

·
Registered
2,629 Posts

But you ARE Truthdog, Realdog, WasAChampionFan, and about 50 other aliases. It's pretty sad to troll a dog forum LOL.

We do know what we are talking about. How can you say we don't? How do you know our credentials and backgrounds?

Anyway, for a lamb or red meat based kibble, I love Champion's- Acana Ranchlands and Orijen Regional Red. I don't know a whole lot about Instinct. Taste of the Wild has a lamb based one, also.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Anyway, for a lamb or red meat based kibble, I love Champion's- Acana Ranchlands and Orijen Regional Red. I don't know a whole lot about Instinct. Taste of the Wild has a lamb based one, also.
What is the difference between Acana's Ranchland and Grassland formulas?

I have a hard time getting their ingredients from their website because I don't want to download it to my computer.

ETA - I would love to feed Orijen's Regional Red, but that's a little out of my price range.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
What is the difference between Acana's Ranchland and Grassland formulas?

I have a hard time getting their ingredients from their website because I don't want to download it to my computer.
Yeah, I have no idea why it's a PDF file. Orijen's isn't.

Ranchlands:
Deboned beef, lamb meal, herring meal, russet potato, peas, beef liver, herring oil, deboned bison, deboned lamb, sun-cured alfalfa, salmon meal, lamb liver, pea fiber, pumpkin, spinach, turnip greens, tomatoes, carrots, apples, kelp, cranberries, blueberries, juniper berries, chicory root, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, lavender flowers, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, zinc protenate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, dried Lactobacilus acidophilus fermenlation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Crude Protein (min) 31.0%
Crude Fat (min) 17.0%
Crude fiber (max) 3.0%
Moisture (max) 10.0%
Calcium (min) 1.8%
Phosphorus (min) 1.4%
Omega-6 (min) 2.5%
Omega-3 (min) 1.5%
DHA (min) 0.5%
EPA (min) 0.5%
Glucosamine (min) 400 mg/kg
Chondroitin sulfate (min) 250 mg/kg

Grasslands:
Ingredients: Boneless lamb, lamb meal, salmon meal, herring meal, russet potato, peas, chicken fat (naturally preserved with vitamin E), sweet potato, boneless walleye, sun-cured alfalfa, natural lamb flavor, boneless duck, whole eggs, pumpkin, spinach, turnip greens, tomatoes, carrots, apples, organic kelp, cranberries, blueberries, juniper berries, black currants, chicory root, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, lavender flowers, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, zinc proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B5, iron proteinate, vitamin B6, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, selenium, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product
Protein: 32%
Fat: 18%

Reactions: DDBsR4Me
1 - 20 of 33 Posts