Dog Food Chat banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
to have the belief system you have firmly in place....and to still feed your dogs a raw diet.....well, i applaud you....that took a giant leap for you.....

i think somewhere it should be noted that you were able to separate what is best for you and what is best for your dogs....

i am in awe.....for real.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Such nice stories :biggrin1:

Here is ours ...

I got lucky when she was 8 weeks old, when I picked her up from the breeder I was given a bag of IAMS and was instructed by the breeder that this is what I should feed lucky ... I knew that I didn't want to keep her on IAMS so gradually changed her food to JWB, she ate this fine for a while but started to get bored of it, some days she wouldn't even touch it. This is when I started reading up on alternative diets, I did not want my dog to be miserable where her food was concerned because she was miserable on kibble. Came across BARF but didn't really like the idea of all the veg, when I found info on PMR I knew it was the right diet for her, if I am honest I was a bit worried about getting the balance right and whether or not she would eat organ meat but thought it was definately worth a go :happy:

Turned out to be the best decision ever
She loved it from day 1 .. the only organ meat she isn't keen on is kidney but I found that she will eat it frozen .. I don't worry about the balance anymore, just go by the way her poop looks and try to vary the meat as often as I affordably can

She is absolutely thriving on this diet, her coat and eyes are amazing. Her shedding has drastically decreased, her eyes are always clean and shiny, her teeth are great .. basically everything has improved significantly :biggrin1:

I had her spayed about 8 weeks ago, the scar is barely visible now, she healed up quickly without any redness and barely any swelling ... I believe that this was due to her excellent body condition because of her diet

I get some off comments but I don't care, she is my dog and I know that this diet is the best for her so this is the diet she will have for the rest of her life, if I ever have another dog then he/she will be fed PMR from the day they are brought home :biggrin:

·
Registered
209 Posts
to have the belief system you have firmly in place....and to still feed your dogs a raw diet.....well, i applaud you....that took a giant leap for you.....

i think somewhere it should be noted that you were able to separate what is best for you and what is best for your dogs....

i am in awe.....for real.
You were a HUGE help in making that decision and I thank you so much...my babies are doing awesome and I'd never go back.

·
Registered
209 Posts

I had her spayed about 8 weeks ago, the scar is barely visible now, she healed up quickly without any redness and barely any swelling ... I believe that this was due to her excellent body condition because of her diet

:biggrin:
Ya know, I hadn't really paid attention, I recently had Raja fixed and declined the cone, but he didn't seem bothered by his incision and it healed up really quick. In fact, he attempted playing that night, however the anesthesia wouldn't let him, haha, his legs were just too heavy for him!! But definitely by the next day, he was up and running around. I thought for sure he was going to open the incision, but he didn't. I never made the connection between his healing time and his overall health being he is raw-fed, but it certainly makes sense!!!! Thanks for pointing out yet another reason why "PMR just makes sense"....

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
You were a HUGE help in making that decision and I thank you so much...my babies are doing awesome and I'd never go back.
aw, gee, whiz, thanks...but you did all the work...that was an incredible leap you made and i know what it took for you to get here...be proud. :)

i'm just happy that i could be part of this with you.....

·
Registered
10,780 Posts

Here is ours ...

I got lucky when she was 8 weeks old, when I picked her up from the breeder I was given a bag of IAMS and was instructed by the breeder that this is what I should feed lucky ... I knew that I didn't want to keep her on IAMS so gradually changed her food to JWB, she ate this fine for a while but started to get bored of it, some days she wouldn't even touch it. This is when I started reading up on alternative diets, I did not want my dog to be miserable where her food was concerned because she was miserable on kibble. Came across BARF but didn't really like the idea of all the veg, when I found info on PMR I knew it was the right diet for her, if I am honest I was a bit worried about getting the balance right and whether or not she would eat organ meat but thought it was definately worth a go :happy:

Turned out to be the best decision ever
She loved it from day 1 .. the only organ meat she isn't keen on is kidney but I found that she will eat it frozen .. I don't worry about the balance anymore, just go by the way her poop looks and try to vary the meat as often as I affordably can

She is absolutely thriving on this diet, her coat and eyes are amazing. Her shedding has drastically decreased, her eyes are always clean and shiny, her teeth are great .. basically everything has improved significantly :biggrin1:

I get some off comments but I don't care, she is my dog and I know that this diet is the best for her so this is the diet she will have for the rest of her life, if I ever have another dog then he/she will be fed PMR from the day they are brought home :biggrin:
these are my favourite stories....i am so glad that your turned out as wonderfully as you'd hoped for.....

but, let me ask you....did you KNOW this would happen? or was it a spectacular surprise as it was for me?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have to admit that it was a spectacular suprise at how good it actually was, I was not banking on such drastic improvements :biggrin1:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Raw food is better than processed food because you're sure that you are supplying your dogs with the proper nutrients. Unlike other processed foods which lack the nutrients.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well - another success in my house! Miss Nahla came home a week ago at 8 weeks and has been raw fed since then 100%. For the first few weeks of life, she nursed, ate whatever mama killed and brought her (Mama is a stray), ate a little kibble, and ate raw when I would visit and bring treats for mama. But since she has been home, she has enjoyed chicken, cornish hens, pork, beef heart, and even some organs...she loves it! I gave her a chicken wing a few nights ago just for fun while I was getting all the boys dinner ready (2 dogs and a cat) and she really tried hard at that thing....it was very cute. She didn't get very far with it, but she certainly gave it a good shot! She's only maybe 3 pounds, but I swear she eats like 10 pounds a day, okay, maybe I'm exagerating, but it seems like she just eats and eats and eats!
IMG00049-20110711-1930[1].jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Love your cat's name. I have a human friend named Nihla. We've been raw feeding our three dogs since January 1,2011. We are getting a kitten today(Beeswax-B for short after Bumble Bee in Transformers) and will be feeding the new guy raw as well. We've been feeding canned/rinsed fish to the dogs(Jack Mackerel&Salmon). I recently gave the dogs fresh raw fish(actually bought it in anticipation of the kitten) and it seemed to upset them just a little. Hopefully they will adjust to fresh fish(I LOVE to fish) and the kitten will take to raw as well as yours has. We definitely feel raw is the best way to feed. It freaks you out a little at first but after a while it's great and leaves you feeling very soul satisfied with your decision to do it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello everyone! I am new here and I would like to have my first post be about how much raw feeding has changed my dog's life!
When I first got my dog it was rough. Not only did she have parvo, but a few weeks after she ended up with a slipped disk. After she got better we noticed that not a day would go by without her having loose stools. Not only were the loose stools a problem, but she also had rashes all over her body that would become scratched and bloody because of her constant scratching.

After spending nearly $700 on tests I found out that she had digestive issues and would need to be put on a prescription diet. The bag cost about $60 and it would be done within 3 weeks. The rashes didn't go away but they actually got worse. Everyone knew Thunder at the vet because we were there nearly every week. The only answer I got after I spent $300 on even more tests was that nothing was wrong and we would probably have to do allergy tests. I decided to put the allergy testing on hold and I did a lot of research on raw feeding. A few weeks later I decided to give Thunder her first raw chicken and after a few awkward moments of her not knowing what to do with it....she gobbled it right up!

I have been feeding her raw for about 7 months now. The rashes went away in about 1 month and her stools firmed up almost immediately! Since then Thunder has gone to the vet only once to get her vaccine. Her rashes are completely gone, she hasn't had any loose stools since, and she is healthier than ever!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I love reading all these success stories :D

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Ruby has been on raw since August 19, 2011, here is her story:

I fed her high quality kibble (natural balance, taste of the wild) from the time I got her home as a puppy. Then last year when I took her in for vaccines she had a crazy allergic reaction to the lepto. vaccine and she started becoming allergic to random things, one of which was her food. I tried switching to different kibbles with different proteins, and still she would break out in hives all over. I knew kibble was no longer an option for her because it was making her sick. She had nothing but diarrhea for a month straight. The only thing that helped was to fast her for 24 hours, she would be ok for a day, but then after eating kibble, she would have stomach issues again. After spending a few hundred dollars on xrays and blood and fecal tests with everything coming back fine, and all my vet suggesting was vet prescription kibble, I knew I had to make a change.

In the beginning I was scared/nervous of trying raw because of what so many bad things people have said about it. I also have a friend who is strongly against raw so whenever I would bring it up she would say something about it to turn me away from wanting to try it.

I tried home cooking for a month, still with no success. All it did was cause plaque buildup on her teeth, and it took me forever to prepare her meals, so I knew it was not realistic to continue feeding that way.

Finally, I tried giving her a RMB and she LOVED it. From there I decided to buy some chicken wings and just see how it goes. Right from the start I noticed a difference. Now, 6 months later, she looks incredible. Raw is honestly the best thing I have ever done for Ruby, and I cant imagine feeding her anything else. I love watching her enjoy her fresh meals, and she goes crazy when she sees me picking up her bowl for meal time. With kibble, she would just eat it because it was there, there was no enthusiasm to it. With raw, she barks, whines, jumps, and cries until I put her dish down, she literally cant wait to eat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm new to the forum as of today and have been feeding raw for just a month. At first I was overzealous with adding too many new things too soon cause I was so excited but started over and have been making great progress since. Else & Sophie love their meal times now and Sophie's skin has really improved. My boyfriend was not on board at first and still hesitant but I continued on this path. Like so many others I was scared and didn't know where to start but after research and talking w/ others who raw feed I'm starting to get the hang of it. The main reason I decided to feed raw was after the recall of Scott's wild bird seed cause of poison in it, that pushed me over the edge.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I figured it was time for me to post this since I am in for the long hall now that my boy is doing so good.

My boy is 3 years old, named Goren (after law and order CI) and I was going through a rough pregnancy (yes that is right lol) I was pregnant and my boy was losing weight, donno why, took him to the vet and he was healthy, vet found nothing wrong, I had him dewormed for everything including tapeworm just in case...well I swapped his food around for a few months trying too get him to gain some weight, he never did particularly bad on anything (was originally on TotW high prarie, swapped him to the other 2 flavors and no improvement, did orijen and still no improvement with his weight, fantastic coat though lol ended up on earthborn holistics because its super high cal per cup...still no weight gain change) he was down to about 57 lbs, I had been supplementing with all sorts of things to try to up the daily calorie intake, he was getting on top of the reccommended for a 80 lb dog kibble, olive oil, 2 eggs, fish oil and oatmeal daily but nothing doing he wouldn't gain weight.

(ignore my pregnant belly lol)

well then I put him on raw and have not looked back, he has gained weight and muscle and is looking fantastic now compared to when I started working on his weight, he is up to I believe around 65 lbs and just needs to gain more muscle tone

I plan on putting my pup on raw as soon as I am finished with his kibble, he is almost 11 months now so he will be on it before his 1st birthday

4 Posts
I have always been someone to look out for my dogs nutrition. I love my dogs but I didn't have a job and seeing as how I am only 14, I can't get a job. My girl was raised on Purina Dog Chow until she was a little over two years old until I was able to get a paper job and start her on Taste of the Wild. At that time, we got another dog (last June) and he was a rescue. Scared of everything and his teeth were stained. The fosterer we got him from said he was locked in a cage outside in a shed for the first 6 months of his life (he was 7 months when we got him) so he had ZERO socialization and was and still is deathly afraid of the crate. He will shake and drool if he goes near it. ANYWAY, he loved all dog food and would eat whichever one you offered to him. My girl, on the other hand, only choked down the food when she was pretty much starving. She HATED dog food.
In December 2012, I heard of the Prey Model Raw diet. It sounded great to me but like I said I had to no job and no money, so I didn't see it as possible. I finally managed to get some meat from hunting, other hunters, farmers, craigslist, and some from the store. I started my dogs and have never turned back! Their teeth are cleaner, their coats are shinier, they have more energy, their eyes are brighter, and my girl hasn't been getting as many ear infections! Yay for raw!

101 - 120 of 136 Posts