Dog Food Chat banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is Abbey's story.
I first noticed that things weren't quite right with Abbey (Abs for short) when she was about a year old. She had been on normal puppy food until I changed her over to dried adult food and with it came endless bouts of sickness and diarrhea and her first seasonal allergy outbreak.

I took her to the vet and Abs was given a course of cortisone injections and I got some cortisone cream to use on her as well. As for the sickness, the vet said it was nothing serious and that I should change the brand of food I was feeding. Back then, I can't even remember what it was. All I can remember is that I bought it from the supermarket so it was probably Pal or My Dog or something like that.

Over the next couple of years Abs was always sick on and off. I can't even remember when she had normal poops, except when she was a baby pup and even then puppy poos is nothing to write home about.

She was in and out of the vets so many times. She moped around the house, wouldn't eat and sometimes she got so sick she would stop drinking too so off to the vet she would go and they put her on a drip so she wouldn't get too dehydrated. That was loads of fun.

When she was 3 going on 4 she was still sick and had many times where she had slimy, bloody poops and I had no idea why. She went off her food many times too.

2 years ago my sis and I started doing puppy raising for Guide Dogs so along came a beautiful little labrador pup to raise for a year. Her name is Patsie. She didn't pass as a guide dog so my sis bought her and she is now a permanent member of our doggie family.
About 6 months after having Patsie, she came back from a stint at the Guide Dog kennels with a not so healthy dose of giardia. Guess who picked that up straight away. Yep, little Abbey.
She was so sick I can't even begin to describe how bad it was. At one point I got really scared that I would lose her with her immune system already being so bad. She was at the vet for a week on and off a drip. She barely ate, she lost alot of weight and I nearly had a fight with the vet because they didn't think she had giardia at all. She had every test under the sun done and still they couldn't pick it up, saying that if it was giardia then it was a hit and miss to test for.

Well, finally Abs got a dose of antibiotics and she eventually came good but she was not right even when I got her home again. It took her a long time to get over that and put some weight back on again.

She went back to the vet not long after because of the bloody stools and throwing up and the vet put her on a prescription diet which helped a little bit but it was only short term. I think I bought every possible "high quality" dry food on the market but nothing made a difference.

In the last year I have been cooking for Abbey and my other dog. The throwing up mostly stopped but the yucky poos did not.

It has been 2 months now that Abs has been eating raw food. She had her first very normal looking poop almost immediately after the change over. I was overjoyed to say the least. I couldn't believe that I wasn't scraping it off the grass. I think I told everybody that would listen, lol.

The holistic vet I saw said that Abbey's stomach and intestines would have to be repaired and that she probably even had some small ulcers in there somewhere. She is on supplements to put the good flora back in and so far so good with that.

We still have the bad skin issues and allergies to clear up so hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later and after reading so many stories of other peoples dogs here I have some real hope and encouragement that we will get there no matter what.

I honestly can't believe that in Abbey's 5 year of her life she has been nothing but a sickly little dog. The fact that the vet never once mentioned that she might have a food allergy really makes my blood boil. At least now, I can give Abs a shot at being healthy and well. I only wish I had heard about raw feeding years ago. We are well and truly making up for lost time.

I thought I would attach a pic of how small Abs was when she was a pup. The pic was taken on the day I brought her home. I always smile when I look at this pic. She was so tiny.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My dog Coal had the worst gas on earth. He would fart outside and we would have to go inside. I liked the idea of RAW and was pretty convinced it was amazing so I started the switch. I dont know when it stopped but one day I relized I wasnt gagging everytime he stood up and looked out the window.

There poop is also so small. I went out to clean up the yard and thought the neighbors mini pin must have excaped into our yard to pooped but it turns out it was from my 30lb dog and 65lb dog. Coal will even run around our yard now when before he was so scared of stepping in poop since its so easy to keep cleaned up.

They went from TOTW to RAW without a hitch.

'Im so shiney I cant open my eyes!'

Reactions: sozzle and DaneMama

·
Registered
908 Posts
Here's mine.
I got Echo, my PWD (improperly coated, so similar to a border collie's coat) at 5 months. She was eating Nature's Balance food at the time.
I was feeding my bichon girls The Honest Kitchen, which they do pretty well on. I switched Echo slowly over to THK, in the meantime, she had HUGE cow plops that stunk terribly. Scooping the yard of this muck was nauseating and I dry heaved a few times in the process.

I switched her to a barf style diet and she is doing much better. I tried her on PMR but she will then go out in the yard and graze and graze and graze on grass, pulling up and eating the roots as well. She would spend most of the day ripping up the lawn munchng away. Anyway, 30% of her daily food is pureed veggies and fruit and she does not graze.

First thing was the struggle with soft poo stopped and her stools were firm and small. Next, her coat shed out and it is now so shiny and silky. All changes for the better. Also when we first got her, she already had brown plaque on her teeth (only 5 months old!). All the plaque is gone and she has wonderful white teeth and fresh breath.

It took me a while to really commit to feeding a natural diet, but now there's no looking back!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Success Long live raw, oops oxymoron

Hello all just wanted to share my story with you all. I have a male reverse brindle Boxer named Rosco. My wife kids and me looked for months to find a breeder that had a puppy left. Good breeders sell quick. So we finaley find one. Now starts the 8 weeks of prep. I read three books, research online for the best food out there, not realizing its all a hoax. So eight weeks go buy we are ready for the baby its no longer a puppy, to come home. We make the 4 hour round trip to pick him up, went of without a hitch. took him to vet to be checked all was good. We slowly start to switch to the best food (yea right) out ther. We took our time with the switch almost month, couple of kibbles at a time. Over kill, but the baby was worth it. Switch was made, he never really had a solid poop from day one. Then the shots started from the vet. The heart pills, the flee stuff poor baby was bombbarded with stuff. From that day on diareah!! Trainer said might be the food. Put him on better food yea right. Keep in mind I wanted to do raw from the start. My wife did not want to do it.Went back to the Vet, meds 10 days. Did not work poop still soft. Went to another Vet who is friend of friend, nice guy, but I ask about raw he said its not safe. So we try more meds 10 more days to no avail. Poop still bad even a little worse at this point. I asked my trainer what he thought about raw . He said its good but alot of work. That was so far from the truth. So months later and now much more educated I take the plung into the raw world. December 4th was the start date. Within on day of feeding chicken backs my boys poop started getting firm. Next day more chicken backs (oops left organs in slight hick up on my part) Little soft not to bad though. Third and fourth day he is pooping like a champ. Yahooo!!!!. Today is the fifth day going to give him a quarter chicken and the rest as they say is hitory.
My new motto is if it aint raw show it the door.
Thanks to all on this site.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been battling my dog's demodectic mange for over a year. Her hair fell out, leaving a big bald patch on her body. She was on kibbles, then later I switched her to homecooked. I also put her on supplement after supplement to help with her condition. But nothing helped, her bald patch remained with no signs of hair growth. My vet was even telling me that her hair follicles were dead and he did not think any hair was going to grow back.

Then finally during the last visit, he advised me to put her on a raw diet and see if it can help. Even before his advice, I have already been reading up on raw and its many benefits, but couldnt quite get started cos I'm concerned about the handling of raw meat, the choking of bones etc etc. But after my vet advised me to go raw, I decided I must overcome all my psychological barriers and start her on raw.

So I went raw and so glad I did. When she was 2 months into raw, to my delight, her hair started to grow back where it had been totally bald. Then after 2 more months on raw, her hair has all grown back. After 4 months of being on raw, her bald patch is gone. To me, this is really amazing.

Recently, I took her to the vet for a review and a blood test. He was pleased to see that her hair had grown back and commented that she was looking good. Her blood test results were good too. He advised me to continue her on raw.

Now she is on raw for over 5 months. For me, it is most definitely raw all the way too and no turning back.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
these success stories need to be published in a book....and sold....that way, the rest of us can carry the book around and show people the anecdotal evidence....

it occurs to me, all these people asking for scientific proof....isn't the proof in the dog?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
it occurs to me, all these people asking for scientific proof....isn't the proof in the dog?
What bothers the hell out of me is why no one asks for scientific proof about the doom nuggets they so confidently feed their dogs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hoping for a success story, but getting some results already. We switched our American Bullies about a month ago to full raw. We fed 50:50 raw kibble the month before, thinking we had to ween them off. Or female has suffered with allergies since she was about 1 year old, so about 3 years now. Ears with nasty odor, and brown crud in them, countless visits to the vet, vet dermatologist. Allergy shots, antibiotics, ear creams, lotions etc.....you get the picture. They told us she was allergic to grass!!! A dog allergic to grass, why my dog!! Then they said she might be allergic to to something in her kibble, so the dermatologist recommended rabbit or kangaroo kibble!! i was like what the hell?!?! So we put them on high end grain free kibble, and saw little improvement in her. So after much research I bumped into Raw diet feeding Q & A's and then this forum. I read probably every thread on this forum before joining. Then I decided what the hell, might as well try it, nothing to lose, and can always go back to kibble. The main reason I decided to switch, was because it just made sense to me. So I looked at their teeth, got a baseline on the tartar on there, did some non-scientific petting test to see how much shedding per stroke, and just looked at their over all build. So a month into nothing but raw I must say we have seen several improvements, all though I don't think we can say success just yet. Our male, he is shedding less, he looks a lot leaner and the tartar on his back teeth is almost completly gone!!! He is a success but he really had minor issues before the switch. His coat looks a bit shinier too. Can't wait to up his fat intake and see what that does to his coat!

Now for our female Sheila, after swithcing to raw, the first thing we noticed was her new found enthusiasm for feeding time!! LIke a new dog, but can't blame her for getting bored of kibble. We would put it down, and she would take a few minutes to start eating, sometimes would eat half, sometimes not at all. Just depended on what mood she was in. Since going raw, needles to say the food don't last long, and she protests when her bowl is empty by flipping it around. Her ears while still an issue have gotten better. My wife says differently, but this is how I see it. Before her ears where full of nasty brown crud constantly, smelled bad and were always being scratched and irritated. She was good and scratching MUCH less for the past 3 weeks, and then over the last 2 days she had a flare up of the ears. Relentless scratching, red angry ears, wife freaking out "maybe the diet is not working" I looked at her ears, and while yes swollen,dry and red as usual I noticed THERE WAS NO BROWN CRUD AT ALL!!!!! I told my wife, that while the diet might not cure the symptoms, I am happy if it reduces them. Granted we stopped the allergy shots and antibiotics a month ago too. I did not want anything affecting the raw food. I wanted the raw food to speak for itself. Not second guess "oh maybe the shots are finally working" or "maybe the antibiotics have kicked in" Another improvement I have noticed is her paws. She is licking them alot less, and before the switch she had small sores/abcess between her toes, and they all seem to have dried up. Hair is growing on several areas on her feet she licked to death. So while not a success just yet, I feel she is DEFINETLY moving in the right direction. And hell, even if the allergies stay, the raw food stays because she seems SOOOOOO much happier eating!!! Hopefully in a few months I can post her story a success, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I thought I would share a friend's success story after I recommended raw for her cat. Her kitty has been going through chemo and has held on for 16 months after she ignored the death sentence from the vet. She started feeding him chicken wings, salmon and livers about a month ago after talking to me and took him in for a checkup and to get his paws cleaned. She was afraid to weigh him because he was at 5 lbs the last time he was weighed and had made the decision if he dropped to 3 lbs the best thing would be to put him down. Oscar GAINED 2 lbs and is now up to 7!!!

She was so happy on the way back from the vet she called me to share the news. She said he looked up at her as if to say "Don't give up on me, it's not my time!"

Now if only I could get my cats to eat raw... still trying.

Reactions: DaneMama

·
Registered
37 Posts
My GSD was having bad stomach problems and had diarrhea. He had been on the same lamb based kibble for over a year. So I didn't think that was the problem. I later decided to change to another kibble that was chicken based. No luck. I brought him to the vet where they did a poop sample and gave him anti-diarrhea pills. They told me if that didn't work that I would have to come back and do some blood work. Well, it didn't work. I did some research and found this forum and never turned back. Poops were looking perfect within 2 days. To even think that the vet didn't first recommend a food change surprises me now that I think about it. They went straight to pills instead.

My wifes Pom always had this brownish-black stinky stuff in his ears. Coincidently that was also his lazy ear so we just thought not enough air was getting in to dry it out. We purchased all sorts of ear medication and cleaned it religiously. Well, when I made the switch to RAW for my GSD we did the same for the Pom and BAM, all the nasty ear stuff went away.

Thanks again to all the helpful people on this forum that helped with all of my questions.:thumb:

·
Registered
68 Posts
My chihuahua was in liver failure two years ago and the vet recommended a homemade diet, which I did. He fully recovered and I went back to a grain free kibble. This winter, he started losing a little weight ( he's never been overweight at all) and the weirdest thing, his back would crack when you picked him up. I was sure he had cancer or something. He also started having accidents in the house again,Including a night of diarrhea. He did this when he was in liver failure, too.
Anyway, he's older and I wondered if he just wasn't able to use his kibble anymore. So, I quickly switched him to a raw diet. His symptoms all went away, almost overnight! Even the strange back cracking! He's gotten spunkier and acts like a young dog again. He's also put on weight, which is a good thing for him as he was getting underweight.
My papillon puppy, around the same time, started to drag poop of all kinds, into the house and eat it. Cat poop and horse poop were her favorites. I decided to switch her to raw as well and the poop eating stopped immediately.
I was feeding my Doberman a few ounces of raw at the little dog's mealtime but its a lot bigger commitment to feed an 80 lb dog raw than two 6-8 lb dogs. After three months, I've seen so much improvement on the little ones. The Doberman has always acted like she's starving on her kibble, probably because to keep her weight normal, she is starving. So finally, this week I took the plunge and she went cold turkey ( literally, lol) over to raw. She seems calmer and happier, probably because she's not starving and gets to eat more than a juice cup size glass of kibble twice a day. In 5 days I've noticed the fat pad on her chest is already decreasing and I haven't given her incontinence pill for about three days without any dribbling!

·
Registered
50 Posts
We're just over one month into raw feeding. When we got our weim I did all the requisite research,
knew about the breed and also started reading about different foods. I was a constant browser of
any site rating dog food. We settled on Blue Buffalo large breed puppy, it had good reviews and was
available locally. Mouse (the weim) had room clearing gas, I mean absolutely foul, the air has gotten
darker kind of gas in huge quantities. Okay time for a switch in food.
Went to Wellness large breed puppy,gas issue was better but poop consistency was worse. Picking up after him was nasty to say the least,and he always managed to poop in the worst possible places (outside the trainers, outside the vets. . .or on someones lawn during walks). About the same time Mouse started gnawing on his feet, whining and doing some serious flea chasing type biting on himself. He also developed a 2 inch raised patch on his stomach which the vet thought might be mange, the test for that was negative. In a panic due to his suffering 5 to 10 minutes after feeding I told my wife I wanted to try a raw diet. We started with Bravo chicken patties in the morning, quartered chicken for his noon and evening meals.
The results were amazing. His gnawing and itching disappeared with the exception of the one time
he got 'Enhanced' chicken gizzards. The raised patch? gone in 2 weeks. The Vet, who had prescribed
anti-mange meds (just in case) and steroid cream, asked what changed. I mentioned switching to raw and her response was "maybe there is something about raw feeding, I'll have to look into that".
Gas? what gas? if Mouse has gas we sure don't know it.
Oh and poop? there is one problem with that, yard cleanup is a snap but sometimes it's difficult to
find his poops in the grass since they're so small and compact.
Although I hadn't registered I did get a lot of information from this forum (okay I was
one of those 'guests'), and for that I'd like to say thanks from Mouse and me.

Marty

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
About two years ago, my mom's friend, Tammy (who had always been a Kibbles n'Bits kinda feeder), asked me about the raw food thing, I explained it to her nonchalantly not thinking for even a second that she was seriously interested, just sort of telling her why I do it, why it's good, and answering her questions about bones, balance, etc. I didn't really give it much thought after that. Months later, I was talking to my mom and she mentioned that Tammy had been feeding her dogs raw since I had talked to her about it! Now she has been feeding them raw for almost two years, just had some bloodwork done on her 12 year old JRT and the vet said it is absolutely perfect! Not only that, but she has gotten her whole family to switch their dogs to raw and she educates many of her patients (she's a dental hygienist) about raw as well!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The Transformation of a Problem Dog thru Diet

We have had Shade since October. He had been raised in someone backyard for the first 4 years of his life, eating who knows what, then spent a few months in my son's apartment before he arrived to me. His back legs were completely bowed (we think from bad diet as a backyard dog), he was hyper, totally untrained, pee'd everywhere, and was somewhat aggressive towards other dogs. He would steal ANYTHING off kitchen counters and eat it, ate socks, chewed furniture, and you couldn't leave him alone for a second or he'd eat something. He'd howled in his crate like you were killing him. But he was still very sweet and had these HUGE brown eyes that just begged you to love him.

I started him on partial raw food as soon as we got him in October. He ate raw in the morning and kibble at night. He is now eating almost all raw. He gets a half cup of kibble at night because we still have some left. The minute I say "breakfast" or "dinner" he goes absolutely bonkers.

In the 6 months we've had him, his back legs have straightened up considerably, he is much calmer (although still very active), he can pay attention to me and he learns new behaviors pretty easily....I can even get him to stop trying to chase a cat on a walk and sit and 'watch Mama'. We can leave food on the counter and he totally ignores it now. He hasn't chewed anything up in months, and I can even leave a bag full of trash in the kitchen and he doesn't touch it.

And most of all, he has bonded incredibly to me. He INSISTS on laying all 80 pounds on the couch next to me at night, with his head on my chest, staring up into my face until he falls asleep. I figure he thinks I'm the one that gives him all the yummy food so he'd better make sure I know he appreciates it!

So, anyone who thinks that a dog will be fine on Ol' Roy, just has to look at the transformation of Shadey. From a bowlegged, hyperactive, aggressive yard dog to a well behaved, straight legged, loving house dog in only 6 months. I have to give a lot of the credit to his diet now. Of course, I've gotten him a little pudgy, but he LOVES his food so much that I give in and give him extra :becky:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
that is a true success story. take the little bit of kibble that you have left over and feed the starving squirrels : )
The squirrels will have to do without for now :smile: As an unemployed, full time student, the guilt over giving a half bag of EVO to the squirrels would just overwhelm me !! Of course, I could look at it as fattening up the squirrels for the dogs to catch and eat!! (Shadey really really really tries to catch those squirrels and has come awfully close :biggrin:)

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
The squirrels will have to do without for now :smile: As an unemployed, full time student, the guilt over giving a half bag of EVO to the squirrels would just overwhelm me !! Of course, I could look at it as fattening up the squirrels for the dogs to catch and eat!! (Shadey really really really tries to catch those squirrels and has come awfully close :biggrin:)
see, and if you feed the squirrels the rest of the evo, shadey will catch the squirrel and have a combination raw AND kibble meal LOL

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I sit here, eating my dinner and watching my beloved felion, Serenity, (hence the s/n), as she plays and runs and climbs. And I thank those who talk about raw, share their stories and advice and for the patience with someone who was a bit fearful when getting started.

See, I got her when she was 6 mos old. She has been through so much with me, has traveled from Seattle to Miami with stops along the way, been through heartbreaks with me, been through down times, up times, good times, happy times....she is, really, my best bud. If I start to get too upset about something, she talks to me and comforts me. If something goes really well, she celebrates with me.

When I broke my ankle in 2004 and had to have surgery to put in pins and a metal plate, she did not leave my side the entire six weeks I was laid up.

I absolutely adore everything about this cat, every last little piece of fur on her head, everything. I will be an inconsolable mess when she passes.

Serenity has always been active. She's been extremely active. Until last January. That's when she started to slow down. As the months went by, it was becoming increasingly difficult for her to jump, climb and she appeared to have no interest in running around.

She went from being a hyper active cat to a couch potato and though she had companions to play with, she was getting grumpy, too. This is not Serenity. She loves everything, every animal and every body. She's the one who used to lie down on top of my bed, allow my little rat to climb in between her outstretched paws and she would groom my rat, lovingly. She's the one who used to take turns tearing around the house, chasing my dog Pandora, that I had in Seattle. Pandora would chase her, she would chase Pandora. Have you ever watched a little, tiny white cat chase a 75 lb rott/german shepard/lab mix around? You haven't lived until you've seen that.

As I said, she's moved with me clear across the country. She's gone through everything with me for the last 12 years and she does not complain. She takes everything in stride and enjoys the ride through life.

So when I saw her, lying around, doing nothing, all day, every day, when I saw her, struggling, hard, to pull herself up on the bed to be near me, I started to get nervous. It was the first time I had seen any signs of aging in her. It got to the point that she couldn't get herself up on the bed, at all. She would sit, at the side of the bed and meow, meow, meow to be let up. Then she would meow to be let down.

Her independence was fading and she wasn't happy about it at all. She started to take it out on the other cats. She even took it out on the new puppy hoodlums I found. Serenity LOVES dogs...so that's when I knew, I have got to find something, a solution, anything, to take away her pain and make her better again.

That's how I found myself on the internet, scouring around, looking for an answer, a remedy, a little extra time. And that's how I found raw.

I started all of the pets on raw in mid-September, bashing myself for not getting it sooner, wondering how much damage I had done to my dear little friend and hoping that it would perform what I considered to be a miracle, at the time.

Almost 7 months later I can finally add my story here.

I sit here, looking at my beloved friend as she plays, runs and climbs.

She no longer needs her pet stairs to get up on the bed. She tears around the house, like she used to. She throws herself at the dogs and begs them to mess with her. She chases the other cats. She's happy, purring and friendly again. Her independence is back and when I pick her up, she no longer cries in pain.

Granted, she doesn't do it the same as she did when she was a wee little lass, but it's a huge improvement to how she was a year ago at this time, before raw.

I look at her, with her little kitty smile, her shiny, delighted eyes, her mischievous little tail twitching as she climbs up the cat tree and I think, "Thank God for all of those people who talk about raw, share their stories and offer advice. My little friend, my little heart, is back."

With every last fiber of my being I thank all of you who helped me along the way with learning about raw. How you told me to transition the dogs, I did with the cats. I learned how much to give them from some other websites but I learned most everything I know, from this forum. I thank you totally and completely, from the depths of my soul, for making my best friend, Serenity, feel better and be better. You truly have no idea how much it means to me.

Edit: I forgot to add, she used to get ear mites all the time...since raw? NO ear mites. No more need for the medicine, no more drama with any of it. They are simply gone.

Here is a photo...taken before I got my new camera but at about 1 month on raw.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have been raw feeding my two dogs and my cat now for 6 months. We love it!!!! It was a VERY hard switch, as I'm vegan and a member of PETA and don't believe animals are food. However....after lots of questions and research, I decided that it's the circle of life and while animals don't proivde me any beneficial health needs, that is the only way my dogs/cat should be fed. All of the allergy issues have gone away. I recently took my dogs to the vet, he is not a raw feeder and doesn't pormote it. He doesn't knock it either, but I waited until after the exam on my 1.5 y/o Rott and 10 y/o Maltese to say, so I decided to feed raw.... so that his opinion wouldn't be swayed by that information. He started by asking if I had my Maltese's teeth professional cleaned because they looked amazing. I said, nope, in fact, I haven't even tried brushing them since he was a year old. Then he said his muscle tone was great and asked if they dogs played together a lot. I said, nope...he doesn't really like the puppy. He commented that my Rott's coat was very shiny and he looked great as well. Soooo, I finally let him in on my secret. He said, wow, well, I don't know a whole lot about it, but whatever you doing is working like a charm and you should keep it up if you are happy because Jivago (Maltese) appears to be half his age and that is very uncommon in a small toy dog. They typically have broken teeth as well.

I must say, I walked out of there feeling pretty tall!!!!! :) Thanks to everyone here who is so wonderful and helpful!!!

81 - 100 of 136 Posts