Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Please share your story about switching your dog/cat over to a raw diet! No matter how short and uneventful or long and hard it might have been, we want to start adding these stories to our new raw feeding website! If you post up your story here, we will post it up on that website as well for other people to see (if you are ok with that of course, if not send us a PM)!

http://preymodelraw.com/raw-success-stories/

I will start with mine.

I always wanted to feed my dogs a raw diet, but didn't have the resources or the support to feed raw up until a little over a year ago. Emmy had chronic ear infections, but that is about it when it comes to issues that were directly related to diet. When I made the switch over to a raw diet, no more ear infections for Emmy. Also, neither one of them have any tartar on their teeth anymore. Both of them are thriving, and love it when we say "Dinner? Dinner?"

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Here's mine:

For about a year now, I was always debating whether I should feed raw or not. The reason I kept holding back was because of the bacteria issue. I did my research on it, and it all made sense! If wolves eat like this in the wild, why not my dog? About 2 months ago, I tossed Aspen half of a tilapia, just to see what he would do, and he loved it!! He was a natural. He never had any diarrhea the next few days. I fully made the complete switch on January 18. It was a long battle with my family and boyfriend, but it was definitely worth every bit of it. Their main issue was the bacteria as well. But, I made them come to this forum and see the light!! What I'm happiest about raw is the amazing dental work that it has to offer. I have to admit, Aspen had a lot of tarter in the lower back molars when he was on kibble. There is barely any left now that he's on raw! I am very, VERY comfortable feeding raw. More comfortable than when I was feeding kibble. I'll never go back to kibble, and Aspen couldn't be happier and healthier. :smile:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I started Jemma on mid-grade kibble, which she constantly had loose stools on. I switched to a higher grain-free kibble, and she did better but still had an unpredictable stomach. By one year old, she was starting to get tartar built up on her back molars. Finally, after much research and support I took the plunge and switched her to Prey Model Raw. She NEVER once had loose stools during the transition. That was the biggest sign for me to know that I had done the right thing. Her teeth look like puppy teeth again, and she looks amazing and better utilizes her energy. I feel so good feeding my dog what she was meant to eat.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
At only one year of age, my Pembroke Welsh Corgi was on month seven of constant diarrhea and misery. He was in and out of the vet's office multiple times a week during the whole thing, and nothing seemed to work. We tried antibiotics, probiotics, limited ingredient kibbles, isolation from other dogs, fecal exams, (a total of 8 actually) x ray, and the "rice and boiled chicken" approach. Nothing seemed to work for more than two or three days, and each time the diarrhea seemed to come back with an angrier vengence. It got so bad that he was having to go multiple times throughout the night, and could not hold his bowls for more than an hour or two. He had lost over four pounds, which for a dog that is lean and healthy at 20lbs, is one fifth of his body weight.
After trying everything, my vet came to the conclusion that Grissom's body is unable to handle the carbs in his food. He recommended "steroid therapy" in which I would bring him in every two weeks for a steroid shot, as well as the highest does of antibiotics he could give a dog of his size, a dose so high I would have to watch for lack of coordination, ability to walk straight, and dragging of back legs. These treatments would be needed for the life of the dog. (a 1 year old PWC with a life expectency of about 14 years) He also wanted to put him on a VERY expensive, low quality Hills RX food.
I was not comfortable with all of these chemicals and drugs being pumped into Grissom's little body, all for the sake of dealing with the high amount of carbohydrates found in all commercial kibble. I decided to put Grissom on a prey model raw diet, which he started on November 2nd, 2009. After 7 months of total liquid diarrhea and extreme weight loss, two days into raw feeding, Grissom had solid stools, and as of Feb. 2010, has NEVER had liquid stools, or even less than solid stools. Two days showed signs of great improvement for seven months of damage.

I am happy to say that just three months into raw feeding, Grissom no longer has a doggy odor, has pearly white teeth, and has every bit of his enthusiasm for life back. His stools are solid, and tiny. His coat is so soft and shiney, and his body condition is amazing. He loves meal time and handles every kind of meat we give him just fine. I truely believe that a prey model diet saved my Corgi's quality of life, if not his life itself.
I guess that's what happens when you stop pretending your dog is an omnivore, and feed him like the carnivore he was created to be.

**sorry this is so long. whoops, I rambled**

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
My old lab/shepherd mix, Kati got hit by a car when she was 1 1/2 years old. She managed to pull through with three broken legs and the vets told us that she would have kidney problems her whole life and probably only live another 7 years. They put her on Hills Prescription Science Diet K/D to help with this. During the next several years, her quality of life dropped drastically. She limped horribly from the broken legs, which was to be expected. However, she also had random bouts of vomiting and diarrhea so her weight fluctuated every couple of months from being overweight to underweight, it never seemed to be at the healthy marker. Her fur started falling out in clumps, she had a raging yeast infection in her ears, her stools were always very soft, and her teeth were mostly yellow and brown by the time my mom put her into my full-time custody in February 2008.

Miraculously, she had made it to be 10 years old by this point.
I had done enough research on dog food by this point to determine that the prescription food she was on was total garbage and probably the cause of most (if not all) of her problems. I switched her to a mid-grade food and the only thing that got even slightly better was her stools, but not by much.

I finally took the plunge and switched her to prey model raw in September of 2008 and boy did I notice a difference! Her fur got super soft and shiny, it stopped falling out all the time (though she still sheds seasonally, being a GSD mix). Her energy levels shot through the roof and she now loves to do the "Kati dance" whenever she sees her leash, she loves to go for walks and can even out-sprint me. Her stools are now consistently nice and firm and she hasn't had any vomiting or diarrhea since she was switched. Her ear yeast infection is finally starting to clear up, and her teeth are nearly pearly white again with no traces of brown and very little yellow. Prey model raw has literally saved her from a life of misery. She is now a happy, spunky old 12 year old gal!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 3 dogs...a 2 year old lab/hound mix, 6 month coonhound, and a 5 yr old english bulldog.
I was feeding EVO red meat kibble. It was costing me a ton to feed 3 dogs twice a day. I always wanted to switch over to raw feeding but was afraid of them choking on bones, the bacteria in the raw meat was also scary seeing I have 4 children as well!
After lurking around different raw feeding websites trying to talk myself into making the break I found dogfoodchat.com. I lurked around for a while and decided to join in their chats. Best move I made!!
My dogs have been on raw for 3 weeks now. I can't even believe the difference in their energy level, their white white teeth, and the shiny coats you can almost see your reflection in!! Of course my dogs health is first and foremost but the other giant perk is the money I am saving by not buying kibble anymore!!!
Thanks to all my new friends who are always there to answer ALL my questions I feel very confident I did the right thing!

·
Registered
71 Posts
For the first 8 months of Cali's life, that poor dog had virtually constant diarrhea. Even if we were lucky enough to have days where it would be a little more firm, she was still going 5-6x/day, and in large amounts. It was hard for her to gain weight. The vet kept telling me she needed at least two pounds--and she looked it. There's trim and athletic, and there's skinny and unwell looking. She was often the latter. Something was just not right with my dog.

While on kibble, she was on Wellness, Evo, California Naturals, and Orijen--using tiny little bits at a time to change from one food to another. NOTHING worked. She pooped constantly. Fecal sample after fecal sample--7 total--at $43/pop were adding up. We ended up on some crap Rx food not knowing where else to turn, and that did nothing.

After months of the pudding poop or looser, stench that would nearly knock me over (Orijen was the worst), and 5-6x/day voids, I switched to raw with the help of the wise people here. Her poops have been as perfect as can be from the second day after the switch to now--5 weeks into it. Raw-fed dogs have a certain look, an intangible "something" the people comment on. Cali now has it, with everyone commenting how incredible she looks, how her eyes and coat shine. I swear her jaw muscles and her shoulders are more built up. She looks buff! Her poops are small and formed. The quantity is a fraction of what it was, and she only goes 2-3x/day in much smaller amounts. Every time she goes I still tense up waiting for the mess. Finally, I'm starting to relax.

If people want to stay on kibble, certainly one has a right to do so. But, in the end, I am thankful her intestinal issues led me to raw feeding--and breaking me free from the corporate dog food marketing machine. I know I'm never looking back. It is so gratifying to feed your dog real food. And once you do so, and see how they respond, you know it's the right thing. I just wish Cali would not have had to endure those many months in intestinal, gurgling, discomfort.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am so glad to see all of these!!! Would love to hear the rest from people on here...cuz I know that there are more of you on here that have been saved by raw feeding!!!

Keep em coming!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Our Success Story starts with my girl Casey. Casey is the main reason why I decided to take the time and read up on RAW feeding. I knew she had to have an allergy to kibble. The vet was always saying, FLEA ALLERGY! I didn't buy it, not when she didn't have a flea on her.

This is my girl Casey before reaping the benefits of RAW.

As you can see, she is an abosolute mess. The poor girl dug herself raw every day, all day. It was horrible to watch her suffer as I continually fed her kibble.

Then one day, I got sick of it and thought, there has to be a better way to feed this dog. I found this place and broke google trying to read everything I could. About 3 weeks later, I decided that I would go for it and feed Casey and her sis Ava a whole chicken fryer cut in two. Poor DH was devistated thinking he was going to get a stuffed chicken for dinner and here I am, feeding it to the dogs! lol

I waited, and waited and waited for her skin to heal. It was a long, slow recovery but well worth it! In the last few months, she has finally healed and now she looks healthy. She doesn't stink and her hair is so soft! I love touching her butt now and her energy level is through the roof! I love telling her what a pretty girl she is!

Well, see for yourself!

She loves RAW and is patiently waiting for me to open her swimming pool so she can go swimming! :biggrin:

·
Registered
989 Posts
just starting

I am just starting raw, I don't have the access that everyone has I'm limited, but I have a store a small one that is working with me.

So far my dogs have eaten sardines, buffallo, beef, lamb, turkey and cow stomach I forgot what they call it but the dogs love it.

I have three, I have adopted dogs my whole life and now I train them, fun stuff. They love the neck bones, teeth are clean and bright.

Its been since January 17th. I hope to continue with the progress. I have one dog in particular with problems and thats how this all started. But all of my dogs get the same food. Stomach bloating is gone, bad smelling gas everynight is gone. The dog was so bloated she wouldn't lay down at the end of the night I would have to burp her to get her stomach down, that issue was gone the first 10 days

All the stories and pics are great I hope in a few months I can post the same progress.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been raw feeding since November 2008.
Before I started feeding raw, I was feeding Wellness. My dog, Tiger, was doing okay on that, but he was still shedding heavily, didn't have that much energy, and his coat was kinda dull. He was always like that on commercial foods.
Then, I heard about this thing called a raw diet. I thought it was crazy... your dog would choke on bones and get salmonella, right? But I was wrong. After doing some research, I found that many successful dog people feed this diet and their dogs thrive. So I looked into it some more. After awhile, I bought some raw chicken legs and started feeding!
A few weeks later, my dog's coat was shining, his teeth were MUCH whiter, he was hardly shedding, and he acted like he was only 2 years old! (He was 8, I think, when I switched to raw).
I love this diet, and what it has done for my dog!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Getting Better

I would just like to thank everyone for the support when I had questions. I would like to tell everyone that Kelsey is growing back hair. Short but nun the less hair.

I started feeding her raw in January around the 17th. Its been three months I am starting to see improvement. I was crazy with worry about my dog I thought it was hopless.

How does everyone feel about organic v non organic meat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Raw food saved my dogs Life

I had tried raw food once before but was a little concerned when my dogs fur started to fall out (in hind sight it was only his under coat and I had not properly groomed him in months.) Then about 3 years ago he just completely stopped eating entirely, we were feeding him an Rx diet from our vet and then we went to Pedigree. We then started to feed him raw freezer burned chicken, our vet at the time was totally against us feeding raw but he started eating again and his eyes, skin, and coat improved within weeks. He is now 13 and still going pretty good he is slowing down a little due to age. We found another vet who not only agrees with feeding raw but she feeds her dogs (she is a Golden Retriever Breeder) raw and has been doing so for well over 20 years. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm glad that you have been so successful this time around! And I'm glad that you have found not only RFD helpful but all the other people on this board that have helped you through this transition :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I'm glad that you have been so successful this time around! And I'm glad that you have found not only RFD helpful but all the other people on this board that have helped you through this transition :biggrin:
everyone here has been awesome and i don't know what i would have done without all of you.....from the heart.....

rfd got me started again....privately before i joined this board....which is why i singled him out.

after that, i have all of you to thank and i do.....i am one happy raw feeder!

1 - 20 of 136 Posts