Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some advise for my sister? She's giving her dogs a variety of food - not 100% raw. She has a 5 and 13 year old. She has been throwing the raw food she gets from Costco in the microwave for a minute (on defrost I believe) as the 13-year old gets an upset tummy if she doesn't. I mentioned this our groomers and was advised heating prepared raw food destroys the enzymes that coat the food.

Any advise?
:confused:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
There is nowhere nearly enough information to give any advice. What raw food is she getting at cosco? Are there bones in it? Is it a raw dog food or is it real food? WHy is she microwaving to defrost? Has she not heard of leaving the food out of the freezer for a few hours to let it defrost without microwaving?

Cooking any meat destroys enzymes and other nutrients. Cooking bones makes them brittle and dangerous for dogs to eat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I don't know which brand of raw food she's buying. It has good size pieces of raw frozen meat (it's not in a tube). I don't know if there are bones. I told her about the enzymes, and she is going to avoid the microwave.

She does take the portions out of the freezer the night before and defrosts them in the refrigerator. She says the older dog seems to have stomach issues when she doesn't take the chill from the food. The younger dog is fine. She's not cooking it per se - just taking the chill from the meat. But it sounds like the results may be the same.

I gave her a link to this site and to your article on raw feeding.

Thanks

There is nowhere nearly enough information to give any advice. What raw food is she getting at cosco? Are there bones in it? Is it a raw dog food or is it real food? WHy is she microwaving to defrost? Has she not heard of leaving the food out of the freezer for a few hours to let it defrost without microwaving?

Cooking any meat destroys enzymes and other nutrients. Cooking bones makes them brittle and dangerous for dogs to eat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Common sense again....thaw the frozen food over night in the refridgerator....then pull it out for a couple hours to allow it to reach room temp. (Make sure you thaw it out in a container or tupperware!)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Can I get some advise for my sister? She's giving her dogs a variety of food - not 100% raw. She has a 5 and 13 year old. She has been throwing the raw food she gets from Costco in the microwave for a minute (on defrost I believe) as the 13-year old gets an upset tummy if she doesn't. I mentioned this our groomers and was advised heating prepared raw food destroys the enzymes that coat the food.

Any advise?
:confused:
Every Sunday, I pull at least 5 days worth of meals for my dog and put them in the bottom of my frige with newspaper under it. That way it can thaw out and not get over my food in the frige. Plus I don't think about getting out the food before I go to bed... and especially NOT in the mornings before going to work! :biggrin: (Yet, I still sometimes forget to get something out at least once a week and he has to eat a frozen meal! Not that he minds or even notices! :)
She could try this and pull out the protion for the older dog and set it in the sink on a plate or something just before going to bed at night for the next morning. Not sure how to work the evening feeding unless she pulls it out before leaving for work.
Just another idea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts