Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of switching my Dog to Innova. While she had always been gassy, she's a bit gassier than usual and the gas is, if possible, even stinkier than usual. We have also noticed that her breath smells stinky, not the way it usually smells. I understand that there is often some disruption while switching over and I'm not too alarmed by either symptom, especially as her stools are on the soft side of normal. What I was wondering was if these symptoms are likely to resolve over time, or if this is a sign she is not tolerating the food well. Does anyone know, or is this one of those things that varies by the dog?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
So, did you switch to Innova Evo? or just Innova? two completely different foods. If you went with the Evo, it definitely will cause gassiness and soft stools in the transition period which should be 10-14 days mixed with old food. Evo is very rich and some dogs cannot handle the high protein content. Innova is a little easier switch, less protein content. If you put more of the old food in and gradually reduce the % with the new food it's a little easier on the tummy.

Reactions: mom2jflc

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I agree with whiteleo.
Make sure you transition easy.
Innova has the grains with it EVO is grainless.
My dogs (Well two of them do this not the other two) tend to have mushier poops on the EVO and yep gassier (now the gassiness is all 4 of them ha) too!
It takes a little while for them to get use to the change, but when they do the benefits are really worth it!:wink:
This may help you!
How to Transition to a New Dog Food in 12 Days | eHow.com

Reactions: mom2jflc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is Innova Red Meat, the kind with grain, not EVO. I'll try transitioning a little more slowly. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, I have some questions about enzymes and probiotics. First about enzymes - our breeder gave us some when we picked her up, and I think we gave her that bottle and never got any more. Should we be giving her enzymes? Is this something every dog should have, or only a dog showing particular symptoms? If they are necessary, is a particular brand of enzymes that is best? I don't remember which brand the breeder gave us. And probiotics - are the probiotics in the food sufficient (I do know they are added after cooking, so they should not have been inactivated that way), or are additional probiotics necessary? If so what kind - would yogurt do the job, or the kind of probiotics you'd get at the health food store, or is a canine specic probiotic called for? Yes, I'm full of questions today. Anyone have answers?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I add Bac Pac probotics to my meals. I do not know anything about enzymes. I would look at Natural Balance kibble and add some raw meat to it. Raw feed dogs have very little ordor and poops are small with little smell. And in a few days, it turns to powder if feed correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts