Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start my dogs on a raw diet as soon as possible and I was wondering if I could start them on chicken wings. My main concerns are the size of them, I'm wondering if my dogs could choke on them. I have a 25lb Rat Terrier and 24lb Sheltie. Would it be ok to start them on wings for the first three or four days and alternate between a chicken thigh or leg?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm going to start my dogs on a raw diet as soon as possible and I was wondering if I could start them on chicken wings. My main concerns are the size of them, I'm wondering if my dogs could choke on them. I have a 25lb Rat Terrier and 24lb Sheltie. Would it be ok to start them on wings for the first three or four days and alternate between a chicken thigh or leg?

Thanks!
You'll need to watch the dogs to see if they chew or gulp. If they chew, (may only be a few chews and then gulp), they're fine. If they try to inhale the thing, you can hold it for them, teaching them to chew it.

I have a 20 pound lab mix puppy, (she'll only end up being about 25 pounds fully grown), and she does very well on chicken wings, drumsticks, quarters, thighs, pork ribs, turkey bones, etc. She's a chewer and she chomps about three times and down the hatch it goes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
How about a halved chicken frame?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have much access to chicken frames since I don't have a freezer, but I want to start them as soon as possible. Also, is there too much skin on the wings?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
When you start you should remove the skin. If they have good firm stools for a while you can slowly leave more and more on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 6 pound cat can get through drumsticks with ease. Your two should have no issues with getting through them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drummies should be fine for your dogs to start off on. They are not too thick.
not to thread high Jack but aren't chicken bones bad for dogs? 2 do you by fresh or frozen? 3 how many would you feed a dog that runs and I mean runs atleast 3miles a day? Right now I am feeding her evo redmeat

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
not to thread high Jack but aren't chicken bones bad for dogs? 2 do you by fresh or frozen? 3 how many would you feed a dog that runs and I mean runs atleast 3miles a day? Right now I am feeding her evo redmeat
Raw chicken bones are perfectly fine for dogs. Mine eats them about three times a week!

Cooked bones (of any kind) are the ones that could cause big problems. They could splinter and break un-naturally and become a choking hazard.

Check out the below websites. They are a great resource for all things raw. If you have any questions, come back and ask. The authors of those sites are all regular contributors here, and so are a bunch of other smarty-pants raw feeders. :biggrin:

Skylar, Zack, and Abby on the WEB

Dedicated to proper carnivore nutrition - Prey Model Raw Feeding for Dogs & Cats

1 - 11 of 11 Posts