Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start feeding the boys preymodel because I have a way to get it here that I can afford. We tried doing some cheap kibble and raw chicken and eggs and that didnt work, Scirocco lost close to 20 pounds in a week and a half.

So I need some input, the requirements are nothing over 2 dollars a pound, something I can get at a grocery store. Other then that bring it on.

for now they usually get a thigh and either chicken or beef heart and chicken gizzards.
The other night they got a half chicken a peice as well.

Since Ive started them roughly on raw he has gained a pound or two but i wasnt trying to start them on raw before just supplementing.

In my freezer right now is chicken back and neck peices, honey comb tripe some ground turkey. How should I mix that into meals for 2 dogs one is a nonactive adult and the other is a semi active adult.

thanks

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
So I need some input, the requirements are nothing over 2 dollars a pound, something I can get at a grocery store. Other then that bring it on.
Check out my web site listed in my sig. It should answer most of your questions. If not, come back here and ask more. :smile:

for now they usually get a thigh and either chicken or beef heart and chicken gizzards.
The other night they got a half chicken a peice as well.
What kind of dogs are they and what size are they?

In my freezer right now is chicken back and neck peices, honey comb tripe some ground turkey. How should I mix that into meals for 2 dogs one is a nonactive adult and the other is a semi active adult.
Throw away the tripe, its useless. Only GREEN tripe is worth feeding. Hold the ground turkey in the freezer for a month or so. I wouldn't feed ground food for a while and then only sparingly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pork shoulder is usually inexpensive. I've gotten it for as little as $0.69 a pound. Turkeys will be going on sale soon, I plan to stock up.

Every time you stop at the store, check the mark down meat bin. The dogs won't care that it's marked down and it's great way to add variety into their diets.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
WalMart usually has 10 lbs bags of chicken leg quarters for anywhere between $.50 - $.70/lb so that could be an option. Craigslist is a great place to get free meat for your dogs. But I agree with RFD, read the link in his sig and that should clear things up for you!

How much do your pups weigh? that will give you a ballpark figure of how much to feed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts