Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else using this food? It's grain free which I'm hoping will help with my Rottie's gas problem.

I also want to try Green Cow Tripe food. Anyone have any experience with the Trippett or Green Cow canned food?

·
Registered
29 Posts
gassy dogs

My dogs were on Evo, which is grain free as well, and still the rott and the beagle mix were gassy. It wasnt until I went to homemade raw that the gas stopped. I mean totally stopped... I havent smelled a gassy dog in months. We have one of those doggie dooley systems (septic tank of sorts) and a month or so after the transition to raw the horrible smell from that is now gone. I used to hate having to lift the lid to add water and now there is no smell.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't used that type of food but for any gas problems, I give Sully my younger Mastiff yogurt, usually 1-2 tablespoons over his kibble in the morning. I use the plain yogurt or even the fruit ones. Keep an eye on the ingredients and carbs. That seems to help!

L

·
0 Posts
I use the Tripette canned tripe (the beef and the lamb). My guy likes it, and it didn't smell as bad as I expected. Fresh green tripe has a horrific odor from what I've heard. The canned isn't nearly as bad, but you won't want to be hovering over the bowl or anything.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've been feeding Taste of the Wild to two of my dogs. One of them had horrific gas and other stomach issues. He's been doing great on TOTW, gained his weight back, and we can stay in the same room with him now without having to run for the deoderizing spray!

I haven't tried the tripe food, but our feed store doesn't carry many varieties of pet food.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My only concern is that TOTW does not guarantee that their suppliers as well as their own company uses Ethoxyquin free ingredients. Ethoxyquin is a preservative that is a known carcinogen/poison. This would be my only concern as opposed to a company like Innova Evo or Wellness that DO guarantee this.

For gas I use apple cider vinegar and a probiotic.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My only concern is that TOTW does not guarantee that their suppliers as well as their own company uses Ethoxyquin free ingredients. Ethoxyquin is a preservative that is a known carcinogen/poison. This would be my only concern as opposed to a company like Innova Evo or Wellness that DO guarantee this.

For gas I use apple cider vinegar and a probiotic.
This is part of an email I received from them:

"There has not been any scientific research which substantiates the
rumors on the internet regarding ethoxyquin and pet problems. The FDA
has some information on these rumors on its web site.
Ethoxyquin has been used (at much higher levels than observed today) as
a pet food preservative for many years.
We use natural preservatives with our foods, applied to the product
after the cooking process.
Preservatives which are used in individual ingredients will not only be
diluted during the mixing process, but used up during the cooking
process (see attached).
Effects of bad ingredients secondary to use of no or poorly performing
antioxidants has been documented, and is of greater concern, in my
opinion.
I wouldn't switch my pet food based on unsubstantiated rumors."

"The preservation systems used by our vendors are considered proprietary information. The heat from our pet food process destroys antioxidants that are used in the ingredients that we purchase. The cooking process at our facilities is at or above 240 degrees. After the heat process (extrusion and drying), we apply natural tocopherols (Vitamins A & E) in order to carry the shelf life of the food. Diamond does not preserve any of its products with ethoxyquin, only with mixed tocopherols. "

Z

·
0 Posts
Based on that email I would not fed it.

The proper email would have read something like:

"We totally understand your concern and that you want to feed your pets the best. Every ingredient in our food is listed on our bag and we guarantee it. Blah, blah, blah..."

They didn't really answer your question.

The FDA is a political organization not a scientific one.

·
Registered
628 Posts

"We totally understand your concern and that you want to feed your pets the best. Every ingredient in our food is listed on our bag and we guarantee it. Blah, blah, blah..."

ITA. What are they going to tell you? Yes, we use Ethoxyquin, we know it causes cancer, but we still use it, we believe it's the best preservative out there, we make every effort to make sure we can kill your family pet and we would like you to still use our food? Good grief of course not. Canidae has tried to spin that tomato pomace, barley, and "ocean fish meal" is a good change to their food too, it doesn't mean that it is.

Preserving naturally would be with vitamin E among a couple of others, not a pesticide. They used to use Ethoxyquin as a PESTICIDE you cannot tell me that it doesn't cause damage to EAT poison.

And IMO yes there are many things that are cancer contributors nowadays, but obviously we can't get away from breathing air, we CAN choose not to support a company that uses a pesticide as a preservative simply because it's cheaper than a natural non poisonious way to do so.

There's a reason why TOTW is a very cheap grain free food. You get 33 pounds for around $40, look at other grain free foods, MUCH higher in price, there's a reason.

I'm not saying don't use it, I'm simply saying, please know that it isn't any different than feeding your pet a food preserved with BHA or BHT or adding a little Raid to their food on a daily basis...it's poison pure and simple.

Reactions: Caty M

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I've had my dog on the Wellness Core for a while now and it has really helped clear up her gas, bloating, lethargy, weight gain, etc. And I don't think that $30 for 12 lbs of food is very "cheap" (as I've heard Wellness called on here before for some odd reason). I did a ton of research on it before deciding to purchase it and have been very happy with it so far. So if you're looking for a good grain-free kibble, I'd recommend Wellness Core, it's a good one.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've had my dog on the Wellness Core for a while now and it has really helped clear up her gas, bloating, lethargy, weight gain, etc. And I don't think that $30 for 12 lbs of food is very "cheap" (as I've heard Wellness called on here before for some odd reason). I did a ton of research on it before deciding to purchase it and have been very happy with it so far. So if you're looking for a good grain-free kibble, I'd recommend Wellness Core, it's a good one.
I 2nd that. I also do not think Wellness Core or regular is cheap quality or cheap price wise, it's a good food IMO.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Read my post again.

"This is part of an email I received from them:"

(Translation - that wasn't the ENTIRE email received from them)

·
Registered
257 Posts
ITA. What are they going to tell you? Yes, we use Ethoxyquin, we know it causes cancer, but we still use it, we believe it's the best preservative out there, we make every effort to make sure we can kill your family pet and we would like you to still use our food? Good grief of course not. Canidae has tried to spin that tomato pomace, barley, and "ocean fish meal" is a good change to their food too, it doesn't mean that it is.

Preserving naturally would be with vitamin E among a couple of others, not a pesticide. They used to use Ethoxyquin as a PESTICIDE you cannot tell me that it doesn't cause damage to EAT poison.

And IMO yes there are many things that are cancer contributors nowadays, but obviously we can't get away from breathing air, we CAN choose not to support a company that uses a pesticide as a preservative simply because it's cheaper than a natural non poisonious way to do so.

There's a reason why TOTW is a very cheap grain free food. You get 33 pounds for around $40, look at other grain free foods, MUCH higher in price, there's a reason.

I'm not saying don't use it, I'm simply saying, please know that it isn't any different than feeding your pet a food preserved with BHA or BHT or adding a little Raid to their food on a daily basis...it's poison pure and simple.
Yet, you believe what other pet food companies sell to you?

And as far as price = quality, that's not always true, not at all.

Adding Raid to food is a bit dramatic, don't you think?

Do you eat any food that has preservatives? What about imitation vanilla? Do you know how much cancer causing ingredients are in the food you eat? Or do you grow your own food to make sure you only eat perfect food which will never cause cancer.

·
Registered
257 Posts
everything these days causes cancer.

just my 2 cents.
I wonder how many people here have kids and are as fussy about what their kids eat as they are what their dogs eat.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yet, you believe what other pet food companies sell to you?

And as far as price = quality, that's not always true, not at all.

Adding Raid to food is a bit dramatic, don't you think?

Do you eat any food that has preservatives? What about imitation vanilla? Do you know how much cancer causing ingredients are in the food you eat? Or do you grow your own food to make sure you only eat perfect food which will never cause cancer.

And yes I do believe the company that says "we guarantee Ethoxyquin is not used" as I have gotten e-mails from many companies stating this, if they stated this and it was not true that is illegal and they could very easily be shut down for this practice. The ones that use it beat around the bush and side step the question and try to make it out like it's a no big deal ingredient, which IMO is a bunch of BS.

No I do not use immitation vanilla and I buy organic for the most part. And personally I am EXTREMELY picky about what my son eats, things he eats, like apple sauce is organic and no sugar added, I buy organic milk, he doesn't drink juice with sugar added, and is allowed very little candy, chips, cookies, and the like, mainly it's many fruits and veggies, milk, fruit juice, etc. I pack his lunch and snacks for school he does not buy school lunches (gross) and I make his b-fast and dinner daily along with my own. We do pizza, McDonald's, etc once in awhile, but it's once in a blue moon.

I'm sure I do eat some things that may cause cancer sometimes, my point is I don't KNOWINGLY do it, nor do I do it on a daily basis (difference with humans and dogs, dogs tend to eat the same thing daily, humans do not). If I knew celery caused caused you bet your booty I'd stop eating it. It isn't doing it because you don't know any better and still doing it that i the problem, it's someone telling you this and saying "oh well" then why the heck are you here? People are giving you food alternatives that don't contain known cancer causing preservatives and you write it off like it's no big deal that irritates me.

And no I don't think it's dramatic, raid is a bug killer pesticides are bug killers, it isn't a huge leap to connect the 2 here.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
No I do not use immitation vanilla and I buy organic for the most part. And personally I am EXTREMELY picky about what my son eats, things he eats, like apple sauce is organic and no sugar added, I buy organic milk, he doesn't drink juice with sugar added, and is allowed very little candy, chips, cookies, and the like, mainly it's many fruits and veggies, milk, fruit juice, etc. I pack his lunch and snacks for school he does not buy school lunches (gross) and I make his b-fast and dinner daily along with my own. We do pizza, McDonald's, etc once in awhile, but it's once in a blue moon.
Hehehehe ... I'm glad you aren't my mama. LOL

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hehehehe ... I'm glad you aren't my mama. LOL

That's the way my mother raised me and personally I appreciate her for it. I don't mind if he participates in school parties and that kind of thing, but why give added sugar when fruit is sweet enough and feed a child school lunches that aren't fit for dogs IMO?

Reactions: tracydr

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's the way my mother raised me and personally I appreciate her for it. I don't mind if he participates in school parties and that kind of thing, but why give added sugar when fruit is sweet enough and feed a child school lunches that aren't fit for dogs IMO?

Sugar is sugar, fruit is full of it, fresh fruit and juice is a sugar overload. Why do you think OJ was given to diabetics? Unless you grow your own fruit and veggies you have no clue what kind of pesticides and preservatives are on the produce. Just because the label says organic doesn't always mean it's healthy.

I agree on school lunches, they are the most unhealthy microwave instant trash there is on earth. The government approves it, so the schools have been feeding it, and then everyone wonders why kids are obese, allergic to everything, and have all kinds of mental and physical disorders.

So you don't trust the email from one dog food company, but you trust the emails from all the others because they cost more so it means they are better. And you trust the signs in grocery stores. ALL companies say things that aren't true. My uncle ran an advertising company, he was a very rich man because he had ways to convince the public that all his customers were honest and that all their products were perfect. Don't think that the food you buy isn't presented to you in a way you want to hear it. Illegal, nope, not at all. Read the fine print about truth in advertising. And don't tell me your dog food company doesn't advertise, yes it does, that's why you buy it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Natural sugar and processed sugar are 2 very different things just an FYI.

Except the companies that do NOT use it have studies to back it up. They TEST their product to make sure it isn't there. What I'm saying is that I would prefer to purchase a product that condemns the use of a known cancer causing agent and tests their product for it to make sure it isn't in it that purchases from other sellers who have done the same and have the tests to back it up, rather than just letting it slide, saying no big deal, and even in that same context say it's not only no big deal but it's okay. No, the food I buy more does NOT cost more than TOTW actually and I do not believe that paying more is a sure fire way to get something better, BUT Diamond is known to have had issues in the past, they were part of the food recall they have a very half a$$ed way of looking at things and certainly do not seem to care about their customers in the least TOTW is manufactured by Diamond BTW.

Again it's a personal choice, and no I do not believe everything I hear, however I am also not going to knowingly feed myself, my family, or my pets something that I KNOW is a poison and not only do that but then pay that company money when they could care less. Personally I buy Natura made food and it is cheaper than TOTW cost wise and has a company that has quite a few quality control points, does quality control tests to make sure their product is sound, and has really pushed for companies to stop using Ethoxyquin.

Like I said, no nothing is a 100% guarantee, but I will not knowingly use a food made by a company who has proven they have poor quality control, who has had major issues in the past, who knowingly uses a poison as a preservative and doesn't seem to care, when I can use a company that doesn't have these issues and attitudes for either cheaper or not much more (depending on the food) and does do quality control tests to make sure that the poison is not found in their food.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth on this. Yes you can find something wrong with anything, but knowingly feeding yourself or anyone/anything else poison IMO is very unacceptable. Nobody seems to dispute the fact that you should not feed a foot with BHA or BHT yet Ethoxyquin really isn't any different. Use the food or don't, just know that by using it there is a pesticide in it used for preserving and that there ARE other companies out there with similar food choices for not much more money that guarantee they do not use this product in their foods and do quality control checks to ensure this. It's up to you who you'd rather give your money to and trust your pet's life with.

And honestly I've never seen Natura advertise. I bought it because it's a food that a store in mya rea carries and they also deliver, it's a wholesome food, in my price range, and it works for us. I've never seen a commercial from them or a magazine ad or a billboard ad or a radio commercial, or anything else for that matter. I've heard about them via word of mouth and via their website which I personally looked up after hearing about them via word of mouth. I'm not saying they don't, but I've yet to see them advertise. Many of the premium foods don't seem to advertise much.

Reactions: bear8869
1 - 20 of 65 Posts