Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, yesterday after about a year of research and apprehension I switched my dogter to raw and the next day am already amazed. I'm not up to making her food from scratch yet so I'm going with chicken necks and a pre-made food made by Tollden Farms. Yesterday she got 4 chicken necks and 1 half pound patty of the premade and on our walk today I could have picked up her poop with my hand and broken a window with it without my hand getting dirty. Wow. I switched her cold turkey and was expecting some stomach upset but she was fine. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes long term.

Cali is a 35lb Shepherd/Lab/Border Collie mix who is 2.5 years.

If anyone has any advice for me going forward I'd greatly appreciate it. This site has been very helpful and informative and I thank you all for that.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Be very careful with chicken necks. They are just the wrong size for a dog the size of yours. She can swallow them whole and if so, will become a choking hazzard. I would feed her chicken backs or quarters for a couple of weeks before adding other meat sources. Check out my web page in my sig.

ETA: Congratulations on making the decision and the effort to feed your dog real food. :smile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I feel really good about the switch. Yeah I have heard that necks can be a choking hazard but I've been holding them while feeding to make sure she's chewing them ok. I've been looking all over for chicken backs but have yet to find them, I'll keep looking though.

Funny side effect of my dog food research.....I find that I'm making way better choices in my own diet as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks, I feel really good about the switch. Yeah I have heard that necks can be a choking hazard but I've been holding them while feeding to make sure she's chewing them ok. I've been looking all over for chicken backs but have yet to find them, I'll keep looking though.

Funny side effect of my dog food research.....I find that I'm making way better choices in my own diet as well.
I have noticed that people who are conscience about what they eat do tend to be conscience about what they feed their dogs... it makes sense.

Of course... there's an exception to every rule. I had mini muffins for dinner... my dog had lamb. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have always had to get chicken backs in bulk by special order. I have never seen them just out for sale. I get them through small independent grocery stores. Most chain stores can't get them because they can only get what they carry in their own warehouse. Independent stores order from a packing house and can get anything they want.

L

·
0 Posts
With me, feeding myself and two teenagers wholesome healthy food carries over to feeding my dogs and other pets wholesome heathy food, I guess. My guinea pigs get top-quality hay and pellets in addition to fresh veggies and greens on a daily basis, as do my rabbits. So it's good for everybody! :smile:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey guys...I started feeding the same PMR from Tollden Farms (chicken blend) and offer 2 whole frozen sardines daily with a 8oz patty. Is feeding the sardines daily too much?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I say the more fish the better!!! Just cause my guys love their fish.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Don't sardines have a good omega 3 content as well?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
That sounds fine. I don't feed much fish unless I get of for free, cause' all we have around here pretty much is catfish and it doesn't have any omega benefits. It would be another protein though. I just always forget about it I guess. Omegas are the main reason fish gets fed, we just don't have those kind here.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I think most dogs handle the switch well, but the slow transition guidelines are there for precaution...it's better to have a constipated dog than a diarrhea dog. I was able to introduce some beef after about a week, although most people don't recommend doing that. If she starts having excessively crumbly poop, you can start to introduce your second protein slowly and gauge from there. Also, you can get a nice pair of kitchen shears ($5 or something) and it's actually really easy to cut up a whole chicken with just the right snips in the right places.

Congrats on starting raw!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts