Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little background info:
I have a GSD who is 2 years old, approximately 70 lbs. He has been having poop in the 0-50% range based on the poop chart the past month.

I started him yesterday morning, so he has has 2 days of RAW so far. I have been giving him an entire chicken leg quarter, and another drumstick to start, which might be slightly below 2% of his weight but I wanted to start out very light. I feed him 1 drumstick/and the drumstick section of the leg quarter in the morning. the thigh piece of the quarter at night.

POOP PICTURE BELOW

Questions
1. He was pretty consistant at pooping at least 2 times a day. If I had to guess, the pile would be about 5" diameter each time like the picture below.

Today he has gone only once, and looked like this.

Considering the fact that my hands are pretty small, this poop is EXTREMELY small. Is this normal? or maybe he is a bit constipated? I didnt even feed him chicken backs.

2. He sleeps in a cage at night, this morning we found a few little pieces of bone in his cage, im assuming he brought it back up. Is this something I need to be worried about or is this part of the transitioning period?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't think he's constipated. That looks like normal raw fed poop to me. I have a 5 pound dog and he goes about the size of a tootsie roll daily. Very little waste as they use most of what goes in.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Tiny compact bowel movements are one of the biggest perks to feeding raw. His stool looks great. Keep up with what you are doing. If you notice that his stool looks powdery then he is a bit constipated and you just feed less bone.

Bone fragments are nothing to worry about. They are normal and you will see less and less of them as time goes on. It takes about 6 months for a dog to become a well adjusted at eating raw.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tiny compact bowel movements are one of the biggest perks to feeding raw. His stool looks great. Keep up with what you are doing. If you notice that his stool looks powdery then he is a bit constipated and you just feed less bone.

Bone fragments are nothing to worry about. They are normal and you will see less and less of them as time goes on. It takes about 6 months for a dog to become a well adjusted at eating raw.
Ok, good to know my dog is doing ok. When you mention if the stool is powdery, you are refering to when it comes out correct? B/c the picture I took was roughly 6 hours after being in the sun all day.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Ok, good to know my dog is doing ok. When you mention if the stool is powdery, you are refering to when it comes out correct? B/c the picture I took was roughly 6 hours after being in the sun all day.
Right. She's referring to when it comes out. I've seen it happen to my dogs before, it's chalky and crumbles when it comes out.
Healthy balanced raw poop will turn white sometimes within hours, and crumble away to nothing within a couple days. Cleanup is an absolute breeze. :biggrin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I was just a bit worried initially about constipation. A couple of times today he went out and got in the squatting position like he was about to go, but then just got back up and ran back to come inside. I thought he might have been having a tough time :p

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Ok, I was just a bit worried initially about constipation. A couple of times today he went out and got in the squatting position like he was about to go, but then just got back up and ran back to come inside. I thought he might have been having a tough time :p
He probably is not used to having normal bowel movements at all, taking into consideration those cow piles he was having before. It will take some time for his body to build up the muscle to "push" to go to the bathroom. This is another plus of feeding raw. It makes a dog stronger in the sense that they have to work harder to eliminate instead of rushing to the door to go potty so they can barely make it out before they "explode"....Sorry to be so graphic about it, but its the nature of raw feeding! Its all a part of life and you can tell a lot about how the body is functioning by paying attention to bowel movements.

And yes, you know that your dog is getting a bit too much bone when their stool comes out powdery or just crumbles when it hits the ground. Just either cut down on the bone or feed more muscle meat. It takes a bit of time to figure out the right balance of the two since its not an exact science since every dog is just a bit different.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts