Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little 1 1/2 year old dog, Joey (corgi, queensland heeler, beagle mix), has this weird thing where every two weeks or so he will have to poop in the middle of the night (when normally he can hold just fine it until I wake up). Usually his jingling of tags will alert me to this and I'll let him outside in time, but a few times now, he's just pooped on my floor. Usually two soft, light-colored piles (sorry if that's TMI, but I thought the more thorough the explanation the better). They usually don't have too strong of an odor and he acts perfectly fine, normal, and healthy aside from this and like I said, it usually only happens once every two weeks.

I know I should probably just take him to a vet, but I thought I would check on here first for any suggestions before they try to pump him full of medicine and do expensive tests that will inevitably rape my college wallet (which I'm more than willing to have happen, don't get me wrong).

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All good advice, I'll try to think about what I might have given him that was different that day. The weirdest part about last night was he woke me up at 1:30 am so I let him out and he pooped. And I was so happy thinking he'd be fine and sure enough, 5:30 am rolls around and I wake up but not in time, he's already pooped. So he definitely had ample opportunity to get it out of him earlier. Ugh.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has an appointment with a vet tomorrow morning. I was calling around to get price quotes and whatnot. Well all I talked to was receptionists and one of them sounded really interested in my questions and getting me into the office. Well without even asking him to, the vet called me back, discussed Joey's issue with me, gave me some possibilities of what's causing it (anal glands or a tapeworm, oh joy), what he'd do to treat it (mild pill that's not too pricey), and told me to come in tomorrow morning.

It was nice to have one of the vets take that much of an interest in me and my dog, so I figure I'll give him a try.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't taken Joey to the vet yet, but I thought of something he gets every two weeks that might be a contributing factor: raw beef soup bones. That's the only thing that was different that day and the only thing that ever really varies throughout the months.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, because I love those bones for my dogs and my dogs certainly appreciate them. None of the other dogs have problems like this though, we'll see what the vet thinks. If anyone wants to check him out on his website and tell me what they think, I'd appreciate it: http://www.renovet.com/

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks so much for checking the vet for me! That's so nice of you! I was really drawn to their welcoming demeanor as well, and it seems like I picked a good one! They were very nice people, the vet is almost positive it's a tapeworm issue from what I described, so he gave him a pill for it and squeezed his anal glands (yuck) for good measure.

And to make things better, I didn't seen any dog food company paraphernalia anywhere in the office, so hopefully they haven't been too corrupted in that department.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, and let's hope it doesn't happen again, it can't be comfortable for him, not to mention, ew, tapeworm. And my carpet will be much better off too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.