Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cutting up the beef ribs that I bought with the co-op order...as I was hacking away at them a little tag fell out of the sealed bag thingy that said:

Kosher Beef Ribs, Soaked and Salted
:( Does this mean I am feeding 'enhanced' or salted meat? I already gave the dogs each a slab. :(

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Sounds that way. :( But it's still way better than any kibble! At least that's what I keep telling myself about all the "enhanced" turkeys that I accidently bought!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Unfortunately those ones do have added salt, but it's not the end of the world if they have them just for this batch. They will just make your dogs thirstier than normal, not much else. If anything you now know just one more thing to look for when buying beef ribs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh, this makes me unhappy. :(

Is the salt content really high?

I suppose like Ania said, better than kibble, but still. :(

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I wouldn't think the salt content would be high enough to be harmful...I mean it's meant for human consumption so it can't be too salty. Just give
them one rib bone and see how it goes...

I wouldn't personally worry too much about it :wink:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
That's funny, that should have been specified on the co-op list as to it being kosher. I wouldn't think that the group would want to buy items that are soaked and salted.:rolleyes:

Reactions: spookychick13

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I buy things that are "enhanced" with salt to keep them fresher longer. I don't like it but I still think it's better than kibble or what goes into kibble.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's probably not much to worry about here. In the koshering process the meat is soaked in ice water for 30 minutes then covered with coarse kosher salt. The meat is then put on a special board and all the blood drained from it. After this it is resoaked and thoroughly washed to remove the salt. The little bit that is left is probably not very significant. I looked it up for you:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you thank you thank you!

My Google Fu is weak!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts