Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Standard Poodle, 4 years old. He has flaky skin (dandruff).

I have a few questions. I know some of you will hate me but I have been feeding my dog Pedigree for the last four years. I wasn't very educated and my Vet had recommended it but I have finally seen the light. Here is what I'd like to know:

1. With a higher quality food, will my dog probably get over the flaky skin? I'm assuming that it's an allergic reaction.

2. I've narrowed it down to two foods that can fit my budget. Eukanuba Premium Performance Sporting Dog Food and Blue Buffalo Adult Formula Dog Foods

I've heard that Eukanuba has been getting a bad rap these days so I don't know. Here are the ingredients, can you tell which one is better judging by them:

Blue Bufallo:

Deboned Lamb, Lamb Meal, Whole Ground Barley, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Rye, Fish Meal, Whole Potatoes, Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Sunflower Oil (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Turmeric, Garlic, Herring Oil (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Fructooligosaccharides, Monooligosaccharides, Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Rosemary Oil, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein (min) 22%, crude fat (min) 12%, crude fiber (max) 4.5%, moisture (max) 10%, calcium (min) 1.3%, phosphorus (min) 1%, l-carnitine* (min) 100 mg/kg, omega 3 fatty acids* (min) 0.4%, omega 6 fatty acids* (min) 1.8%, beta carotene* (min) 5 mg/kg, glucosamine* (max) 400 mg/kg

Calorie Content (ME):
Kcal/Kg = 3,397.5 (calculated)
Kcal/Cup = 504.9 (as fed)

Eukanuba Premium Performance Sporting Dog Food:

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal (natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Corn Meal, Brewers Rice, Fish Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Salt, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid], Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Fructooligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Minerals [Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate], Calcium Carbonate, Dried Chicken Cartilage (natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), DL-Methionine, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract.

Guaranteed Analysis:

* Crude Protein (min) 30.0%
* Crude Fat (min) 20.0%
* Crude Fiber (max) 4.0%
* Moisture (max) 10.0%
* Vitamin E (min) 140 IU/kg
* L-Carnitine (min) 40 mg/kg*
* Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (min) 0.1%*
* Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min) 2.9%*
* Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.50 %*
* Glucosamine (min) 375 mg/kg*
* Chondroitin Sulfate (min) 35 mg/kg*

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Calories:
431 kcal/cup

Caloric Distribution:
Protein 27.08%; Fat 44.47%; Carbohydrate 28.44%

My dog weighs 45 pounds. How much should I generally feed him depending on how much food I give him? I currently feed him 1.5 cups in the morning and in the evening. Thank you for your help.

EDIT: I just noticed that Blue Buffalo contains "Lifesource Bits". What are those?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It does not necessarily mean allergies, a lot of dogs will have dull flaky coat on grocery store foods because they lack meat and therefore essential fatty acids that are present in the meat.

I wouldnt feed yuckanuba, its glorified pedigree really.

Blue Buffalo is by far a much better option, there are other foods you can try that cost less then Blue. I reccomend a grain free kibble like Taste of the Wild, since its meat based and a lot of dogs have grain intolerance. I checked the price online, and its around $40 for 30 lb bag, but it depends on the store. Generally feed stores sell it for less.
Heres their dealer locator link:

Taste of the Wild : Dealer Locator

In addition, I reccomend supplementing your dogs food with fish oil, you can get liquid salmon oil or if you dog doesent mind, regular human fish oil you get at the store. Start out with couple capsules( generally 1000 mg), then increase if needed.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
According to their site: LifeSource Bits contain a precise blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists. These include ingredients that have been shown to help strengthen your dog’s immune system, support their specific life stage requirements and protect them from the negative impact of environmental toxins. And, unlike other brands that add vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, LifeSource Bits are “cold–formed” to preserve their full potency

With food ammount, feed what is reccomended on the bag and decrese/increase if needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I vote for blue buffalo. eukanuba has a lot of the same ingredients as grocery store chow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll go with Blue Buffalo. my dog's stool should be a lot smaller now correct? Currently it's bigger than him haha.

But I find it odd that Blue Buffalo, Eukanuba, Pedigree, and many, many others have all had recalls.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
But I find it odd that Blue Buffalo, Eukanuba, Pedigree, and many, many others have all had recalls.
The only way to avoid pet food recalls is to go raw, which is a decision that is entirely up to you. Considering you're posting in the kibble and canned section, I'm assuming that's what you want to stick with.

As for the two you are debating on, DEFINATELY Blue over the other junk. (I personally wouldn't ever buy anything with Cornmeal listed on the ingredience, and Eukanuba has it third on the list! yuck!) If budget is a big issue then Canidae is usually pretty affordable, at least everywhere I've lived. It's not absolute top of the line, but it's worlds better than the Pedigree. I had one of my dogs on it before going raw, and he did fantastic.

·
Banned
620 Posts
1. With a higher quality food, will my dog probably get over the flaky skin? I'm assuming that it's an allergic reaction.
I've heard that Eukanuba has been getting a bad rap these days so I don't know. Here are the ingredients, can you tell which one is better judging by them:...

They are both terrible IMO but one is clearly better than other and that would be the Eukanuba Premium Performance Sporting Dog Food. My reasoning is the Euk is a 30/20 feed and the BB only 22/12. Euk has a #2 ingredient of chicken by-product meal which helps this feed a lot. Euk is terrible at 4% fiber yet BB is worse at 4.5%. Taking a look at some of those ingredients, the lesser of two evils is the EUK:

EUK
Corn Meal, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Brewers Dried Yeast, Fructooligosaccharides,Rosemary Extract.

BB
Whole Ground Barley, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Rye, Whole Potatoes, Tomato Pomace, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Turmeric, Garlic, Fructooligosaccharides, Monooligosaccharides, Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Rosemary Oil

Looking for things you would rather not see in a carnivore diet, one seems to cater more heavy to omnivore nutrition. And it comes as no surprise that when running down two feeds, most people don't know what to look for that would make one feed better than the other.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Don't do the pukanuba. Try adding Salmon oil for dry skin.
Go with Blue Buffalo and add the oil like Doc said!! :)
I think that they might even have a salmon kibble if you can find it!
The Taste of the Wild is a really good food as well. If you are able to find that I would almost recomend it more because it is higher in the meat protien.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the help.

EDIT: We bought the food. They didn't have Blue Buffalo or Eukanuba. A guy at the store recommended "Nutrience Supreme". He said he fed it to his dog and it works wonderfully.

Chicken meal, ground corn, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp, dried whole egg, lecithin, hydrolysed chicken, chicken flavor, yeast culture, salt, potassium chloride, flaxseed meal, calcium propionate (preservative), yeast extract, citric acid, fumaric acid, malic acid, lactic acid, marigold extract, mint leaves, parsley, dehydrated green tea, glucosamine sulfate (0.04%), chondroitin sulfate (0.01%), dried kelp, dried cayenne, dried carob, dried rosemary, dried fenugreek, dried ginger, dried turmeric, dried fennel, rosemary extract, yucca schidigera extract, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), iron proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc methionine complex, zinc oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, folic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement

TYPICAL ANALYSIS:
Protein 26.3 %
Fat 16.2 %
Fibre 2.7 %
Moisture 9.6 %
Ash 8.3 %
Copper (as copper sulphate) 25 mg/kg
Iron (as ferrous sulphate) 415 mg/kg
Zinc (as zinc oxide) 250 mg/kg
Selenium (as sodium selenite) 0.3 mg/kg
Manganese (as manganous oxide) 60 mg/kg
Omega 6 fatty acids 2.4 %
Omega 3 fatty acids 0.32 %

VITAMIN STATEMENT:
Vitamin A 20,150 I.U./kg
Vitamin D3 1,260 I.U./kg
Vitamin E 115 I.U./kg
Vitamin C 52 mg/kg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh boy. I think I should have went with Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

*Sigh*

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Turkey Meal, Whitefish Meal, Salmon Meal, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Shidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Turmeric, Herring Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Fructooligosaccharides, Monooligosaccharides, Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium.

Guaranteed Analysis:

* Crude Protein (min) 42.0%
* Crude Fat (min) 16.0%
* Crude Fiber (max) 3.0%
* Moisture (max) 10.0%
* Calcium (min) 1.0%
* Phosphorus (min) 0.9%
* L-Carnitine* (min) 100 mg/kg
* Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (min) 0.25%
* Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (min) 3.50%
* Beta-Carotene* (min) 5.0 mg/kg
* Glucosamine* (max) 400 mg/kg

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Caloric Data (ME)
kcal/kg = 3,745 (calculated); kcal/cup = 586 calories (as fed)

Daily Feeding Guide (Weight/Cups** per Day):

* Up to 15 lbs: 1/2 to 1 cup
* 16 to 25 lbs: 1 to 1-1/2 cups
* 26 to 40 lbs: 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 cups
* 41 to 60 lbs: 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups
* 61 to 75 lbs: 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 cups
* 75 to 100 lbs: 4-1/2 to 6 cups
* Over 100 lbs: 6 to 7-1/2 cups

** Use a standard 8 oz. measuring cup.

AND it's cheaper....

*cries*

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You could try a grainless food. their are alot of premium brands for allegries also. Can you find like evo or california natural or orijen anywhere?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turns out Petsmart have a no questions asked return policy. Awesome. Now should I get orijen or BB Wilderness. I've heard many bad things about BB.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Definitely Orijen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Definitely Orijen.
Mhmmm.

Check this out: :eek:

Fresh boneless chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, fresh pacific salmon (a natural source of DHA and EPA), herring meal, sweet potato, peas, fresh lake whitefish, fresh northern walleye, chicken fat (naturally preserved with vitamin E and citric acid), chicken liver, salmon meal, fresh turkey, fresh whole eggs, fresh deboned herring, sun-cured alfalfa, salmon oil, chicory root, dehydrated organic kelp, pumpkin, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, saskatoon berries, black currants, choline chloride, psyllium, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, sea salt, vitamin supplements (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12), mineral supplements (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium), dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Crude Protein (min.) 40.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 16.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 2.5%
Moisture (max.) 10.0%
Calcium (min.) 1.5%
Calcium (max.) 1.7%
Phosphorus (min.) 1.2%
Phosphorus (max.) 1.4%
Omega-6 (min.) 3.0%
Omega-3 (min.)
DHA
EPA 1.1%