Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arg! were I live there's a few dog food to choose, but even worse was the dog treats. :frown:

There was only pedigree stuff, begging strips,milk bones, greenies, beneful with the yucky day-glow colors, and some central american brand treats but one day I found.

This sojo dog treats the ingredients look good I guess :biggrin: they didn't had the foods, only the treats but that is a big step for what was available before.

I got a box of the good dog chicken pot pie All Natural Dog Treats by Sojourner Farms

Opinions on the formulas. they are ok?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I would not buy them. But compared to the other options, the Sojo's aren't lookin' too bad. How much of your dog's diet is made up of treats?

Is ordering online an option?

I've heard of people buying beef liver, slicing it up, and baking it at a low temp for an hour or so.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not buy them. But compared to the other options, the Sojo's aren't lookin' too bad. How much of your dog's diet is made up of treats?

Is ordering online an option?

I've heard of people buying beef liver, slicing it up, and baking it at a low temp for an hour or so.
Hi! well the treats can go to 5% the most .

I don't think the shipping would be an option since they now have a new tax for incoming packages that is 50% of the price of the packages (with the shipping included) besides the other taxes :frown:

I haven't tried to give him liver yet, but is something I want to do, I was wanting to give it raw but I can cook a bit for the treats but I'm not sure how his tummy would react.

So is at the owen or it can be just cooked?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
50%!?!? Holy cow! Yeah, that's not really worth the shipping.

I can't remember for sure, but did you say in a previous post that you wanted to do a raw diet but couldn't because your parents were against it?

I don't know that you would want to give daily treats of raw anything (much less liver) to a kibble fed dog. It MIGHT work out fine, but COULD lead to tummy aches. Every dog is different.

For the liver treats I was talking about, yes, you would bake them in the oven at a low temperature for a couple of hours. You are essentially drying them out. :smile:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes they are very abusive with the taxes :frown: thanks for the tips.

Sorry for the mess up , is not meat raw treats but I want to give the raw liver with his meal of raw beef, and the cooked ones for treats :smile:

My parents don't like an idea of a full raw diet, but they let me give him like 4 or 5 meals of raw a week, the rest are kibble. (He eats 3 meals a day)

When I feed him raw is at afternoon, so there a 8 hours period to let him digest his kibble meal of the early morning, so far he hasen't have a problem.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Ahh, now I see. :smile:

Another thing you can do for treats is thinly slice chicken (or beef, pork, turkey, etc.) and bake it in the oven the same way you would the liver until it is dried out. That way your dog wouldn't be overloaded with liver.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds nice, but I expect to give the cooked stuff in only especial occasions and not daily, since he likes cooked food more than anything, and we had a problem with this, here my quote explaining why

like a month ago my parents where feeding leftovers from their plate to my pup when I wasen't looking :mad:and he gain the double of his weight in less than 15 days :eek:

He even didn't wanted to eat his normal food since they where feeding him canned wieners, cow stomach spicy soup, fried chicken, cheese, condimented cooked ground meat, etc..

His vet was really mad when he found out he gained that weight and put him on a diet later they confesed to me they were feeding him the scraps plus more kibble, 'case "he was crying always when we were eating, so we thought he wasen't eating enough" :rolleyes:

In those days, he was refusing his meals he even stared to lost interest in raw :mad: it took me like two weeks to get him interested in his normal diet again, what a crazy dog LOL.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hmmm, sounds like you need to train your family. :biggrin:

I really don't think that the treats you listed were too bad. I'd give them a shot.

But if your dog likes cooked food better than anything else, the baked liver and chicken would be great training treats....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts