Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the park yesterday with the dogs and husband, playing in the water. This kid runs up and goes "Are those huskies?" So we said yes, and he starts talking to us. Out of the blue, he says (and mind you, this kid is, like, TEN!), "My dogs would kill your dogs." I was, like, astounded that he would say something like that! He then goes on to say "Yeah, my pit bull and rottweiler would kill your dogs. Well, probably not kill, but they would be really injured." If he wasn't 10 and it wasn't totally his parents fault for being absolute morons, I would have said something, and it wouldn't have been pretty. Seriously? People like that are the kind of people that give pits and rotts a bad name! Honestly... "My dogs would kill your dogs." -.-

·
Registered
175 Posts
I probably would have slapped the little shit........................................
I'd go for the parents. Not only is it more likely to keep me out of jail, but that's where this toxic attitude almost certainly originated.

And then, as a follow up I'd come back for the kid when he turns 18 and if he still has the same attitude about dogs.

What sickens me is that I've known some pits who are just the sweetest dogs with gentle temperament. Yet because this is a breed that has the potential to be raised vicious, and it's a popular choice for people wanting their own "Cujo" to terrorize other people and pets as if it's some kind of macho thing, many people and governments are trying to make it hard on ALL owners of "vicious" dog breeds.

I hope idiots like this realize its THIS attitude which is going to make it more likely that they lose their dogs to a growing number of city ordinances. It is THIS attitude which is going to cause their homeowners' insurance and liability coverage to skyrocket because they choose to keep the reputation of pits and dobies and rotts as "killing machines" alive and well in the minds of insurers and lawyers.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I probably would have slapped the little sh*t........................................
Oh gawd, you don't know how much I wanted to!!!

Ziggy, you are totally right! I was sooooooo mad about that! I was HOPING he would say that he had something like a yellow lab, or...something other than a pit bull, rottweiler, or doberman! -.- I feel so sad for the dogs, though.

The other day, I was out with the hubby, and someone had a dog in their car, and they were petting it through the window. So being an animal person, naturally I approached and said "Awwah! Puppy! Is it friendly?" The guy started to LAUGH, then said "No." I was, like, 'really?!' It's people like that, people that don't SOCIALIZE their dogs properly, that really piss me off! I mean, this was a blue healer mix, but still...the guy LAUGHED about it, like, what about that is FUNNY?!

The way I figure it, if you don't socialize your dog the RIGHT way, all you're doing is hurting your dog. Not only will it not know the love and joys of meeting new people, playing with other dogs, going on walks, and doing things outside of its own backyard or your boiling hot car, but you're just adding to the risk of the dog attacking someone, or another pet around the neighborhood, and risking the dog being put to sleep before its time. I realized that the other day, and I really wish I'd have said something to the guy, but in real life, I'm the most soft-spoken person ever...it made me soooooo mad, though...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Oh man...that reminds me of something that happened the other day....

I had just finished a training class and was letting everyone out when this girl came up with her dog. She had what looked kind of like on over-sized Maltese. She started off talking about how my dog is so nice and good, and she knows so much because she sits when I tell her to (I don't think she was any older than 11 LOL), and that her dog doesn't do that, and so on and so forth. Anyway after this went on for a bit she all of a sudden paused and asked me how she could make her dog mad. At first I thought that there was no way I heard her right so I asked her to repeat herself. She said it again, "how do I make my dog mad?" :confused: Seriously??? I asked her why she would want to do that. She never gave an answer...it seemed like she didn't even know why herself. To this day I'm still very confused and disturbed about the situation. :confused:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
This story irritates me so bad! Grrrr! :mad:

Having owned a Rottweiler I was able to see first hand the stigma and bad raps they get. People would be surprised once they met Kodi and realized what a well behaved big teddy bear he was. I would have told the stupid kid that it all has to do with the way the dog is raised and it's owners.

You did good not slapping that kid! I know I would have wanted to too! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This story irritates me so bad! Grrrr! :mad:

Having owned a Rottweiler I was able to see first hand the stigma and bad raps they get. People would be surprised once they met Kodi and realized what a well behaved big teddy bear he was. I would have told the stupid kid that it all has to do with the way the dog is raised and it's owners.

You did good not slapping that kid! I know I would have wanted to too! :tongue:
Man, I know YOU would have wanted to! I mean, I think that Kuso has Rottweiler in him, mainly because he hasn't started to shoot up and actually start looking like anything in particular, other than a Rottie/Aussie mix, but he's still so SMALL!!! Someone suggested Mini Aussie, though, which I'm thinking is a possibility (and hoping it was mum), but he's doing awesomely with socialization. I mean, when I first got him, he had TONS of issues, not just with us, but with the other two dogs as well. I mean, he still has SOME issues, but definitely not as much as he used to. Just goes to show what socialization and proper training can do!!!

I just can't stress enough about how angry that made me to hear that kid say that. If his parents had been around, maybe I would have slapped them? haha. Unless they said something to the kid about how wrong that was...but still... "My Pit Bull and Rottweiler could kill your dogs." -.-

·
Registered
222 Posts
Whats scary about these kids also, is that they are the type you will see on the news a few years down the road in jail for robbery, murder, attempted murder etc.... They start with those types of thoughts. It makes you wonder to what the parents are into, and teaching at home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts