Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I think. I'm a little intimidated by this whole process. I love raw in concept but I'm afraid of screwing it up. I'm sure years and years of brainwashing by pet food companies is probably to blame for my fears. :)

So a little background.. my boy is 7 month old red doberpup. He's 65lbs and has been eating Canidae ALS for most of his life. We started him on Wellness brand early on but it gave him horrible runs. Canidae did fix that but since then he has had HORRIBLE gas. Canidae was never intended to be what I fed him for life but I've stuck with it for a few months because I was happy he had solid poops.

I've come to raw out of a frustration in finding a decent, quality kibble at a reasonable cost. I'm tired of spending hours and hours of researching all of this stuff only to find one kibble that has seemingly decent ingredients but is super expensive, vs another which is reasonable but only comes in small bags, compared to yet another that has a few good ingredients but too much of something that's undesirable. I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!

I always come back to the idea of feeding him raw. I've loved the whole concept since before I got my boy and was researching foods. At this point, I think the frustration with all of this kibble BS is enough and I want to try this out.

Saturday is the big day... I'll be Christmas shopping and meat shopping. :) Can anyone give me any tips on what to look for? Based on his current weight, 65lbs (his ideal ADULT weight is probably 85-90 as his parents were both in this range) how much should he be fed? I think I'll be purchasing chicken backs to start out with. He'll be fed twice a day.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Saturday is the big day... I'll be Christmas shopping and meat shopping. :) Can anyone give me any tips on what to look for?
Yeah, it's a little scary at first but after a few months you will get your own routine worked out and it will seem completely natural and as easy as feeding kibble. If you haven't already, check out my web site listed in my sig. Hopefully it will answer a lot of your questions.

Based on his current weight, 65lbs (his ideal ADULT weight is probably 85-90 as his parents were both in this range) how much should he be fed?
I would start at around 2 lbs/day and adjust whether he gains or looses weight and how his build is. I would continue feeding him twice a day for now. If you wish in 3 or 4 months you can go to 1 feeding/day but it's always optional. I still feed twice a day.

I think I'll be purchasing chicken backs to start out with. He'll be fed twice a day.
I would feed 2 chicken backs in the morning and evening for the first week. The second week, I would feed a chicken leg quarter in place of the backs for one meal/day. My web page explains all this.

Good luck and if you have more questions, feel free to ask. In a few months you will wonder why you worried so much. :) :) :)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yep that's how I started out, all worried about it. Now it's just completely routine and easy for me. Definitely check out RFD's signature, it's the easiest way to get started and maintain on raw. When you go shopping get chicken backs to start and some chicken livers to feed him once a week with the backs. Maybe stock up on some raw eggs too. Switching him over cold turkey is the easiest way to to it (for you and him).

You're going to save so much money and have total control over what your dog eats. You're going to LOVE raw!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tucker already gets two raw eggs a week. :)

I've also already read the site in Raw's sig. It answered a LOT of questions!! The part about how much to feed a pup was a bit confusing though. At this point, I should be feeding him 3% of his ideal adult body weight, right? If that's the case, roughly 2-2.5lbs per day as you said?

How much are you all paying per pound on your raw diets give or take? A 44lb bag of Canidae lasts me a bit over a month @ $50 per bag. I'm hoping to beat that with raw when I get in to this more.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
At this point, I should be feeding him 3% of his ideal adult body weight, right? If that's the case, roughly 2-2.5lbs per day as you said?
Be careful. Don't put words in my mouth. :smile: I said "around 2lbs/day". You see, nothing is exact in raw feeding. Think more about feeding 1 back or 2 backs or 1 quarter or 1 turkey neck. They will all be different weights. A chicken quarter can weigh from .75lbs to 1.25 or more lbs. Some meals it will be a small on and some meals it will be a large one. It's the same with all the parts. They vary in size.

I honestly don't have a clue how many pounds a day I feed my dogs. I know one gets one back and the other gets 2 backs in the morning. In the evening one gets one quarter, the other gets two. When I feed pork roasts, I have to butcher cut them in half for me. One dog always gets the smaller one and the other dog always gets the larger half because they are never exactly the same. I'm sure the weight of the roasts vary. It's the same with beef hearts. One gets a larger amount the other gets a smaller amount. I just know about how much to feed.

It won't take you long to learn what a meal looks like for your dog. The point I'm trying to make is don't worry about small amounts one way or the other. If your dog starts getting heavy, feed less and vice versa.

How much are you all paying per pound on your raw diets give or take?
I figured it up a few months ago and I am paying just under $.80/lb to feed my dogs a raw diet. Don't be disappointed if you don't get stuff that cheap in the beginning. It will take you a several months or more to learn how to shop for raw meat. It helps to buy a used freezer and buy food in bulk. It's not unusual

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah I get my chicken leg quarters for $.63/lb and then with the organ meat and eggs and fish it probably gets around $.80/lb. This is probably about how much you're paying for Canidae, only you know exactly what's in it, you can modify it as you see fit, you can get it donated to you from people cleaning out their freezer, you get firm poops and healthy teeth, non-smelly breath, non-smelly dogs, less shedding, healthier dog, less poop, etc. You know. Check out WalMart for the best deal on chicken leg quarters (like I said, $.63/lb), the next cheapest I've seen them is at Safeway for $.70/lb. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Oh and as RFD was saying about the feeding, it really doesn't need to be exact. I feed my dogs just like he does. My older dog gets the smaller leg quarters and my younger dogs get the bigger ones because they burn the calories easier and the bigger one gains weight too easily. This way, they all maintain their weight perfectly and I can always change it if needed. Start out feeding a chicken back in the morning and one at night and see how his weight does and adjust it accordingly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts