Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fed my kids their first RAW meal this morning....and they LOVED IT!!! woohooo!
I gave the huskys a chicken back each and a little breast meat, my male husky Stihl ate like a pro...where as my female LeiLei is still chomping down 10 minutes after everyone else is done..I am thinking she may need to be fed in her crate, to give her some privacy.
The little guys did awesome too. One got a drumstick with some meat cut off, the other two got half of thighs, mostly bone just a little meat, I was a little worried about the size of the bone since all three of the little guys used to gobble down their dry kibble, but they took their time and chewed every little piece!

I am just so EXCITED! I hope it agrees with them, I guess I will find that out later ; )

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
welcome to raw!

i still get a kick out of watching them eat with enthusiasm.....

you've done your kids a great service!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea at first I thought I wouldnt be able to handle the crunching noise, but it didnt bother me. Its amazing how good it makes you feel knowing you are doing the best for your dogs!
I am just crossing my fingers that their stomachs agree with it!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Good for you in making the change, your dogs should do fine as long as you don't try to go too fast too soon which is a common mistake among new raw feeders, some dogs adapt well and some take alittle longer, just take it slow and steady and don't add in too much muscle meat less bone in the beginning as you should be fine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Congrats on making the switch! Yeah for you and yeah for the dogs!! :biggrin:

Each dog is different. I am only a little over a week in and Lucky my 11 year old who's been kibble fed her whole life up until now, is doing wonderful! No problems at all and she just loves it! Duncan, my 4 1/2 month old pup has been having a bit of problems. He just loooves the eating part, it's the coming out the other end part that we are having a bit of a problem with right now. I've had to really watch him and adjust when and how much I feed him. You'd think that the old dog would have been the one with the problems! Not here....go figure. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Just take it slow and watch each dog carefully! You have done a great thing!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yay!!! It has been about 2 months since I switched my Great Dane to raw, and it has been fantastic! He loves it, has had no stomach issues, and looks great. His skin and coat issues were the final straw for me, that convinced me to try raw. He now looks great. Saying his coat is shiny does not even begin to describe it. It is like he GLOWS!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'll second deb9017. Best thing I did with my pup was switch to raw. And everyone comments on the coat. shiny and sleek.

Good Luck and stick with the program! :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I will just say that I am so proud of all the newbies for switching to raw. Its so awesome that you've all taken the plunge and dived right in! I will say that it makes me happy to know that the raw "movement" is gaining more and more of a following! Ya'll keep up the good work and *please* don't hesitate to ask ALL questions!!! It's how you learn from experience and shared knowledge :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Congrats on making the switch! Yeah for you and yeah for the dogs!! :biggrin:

Each dog is different. I am only a little over a week in and Lucky my 11 year old who's been kibble fed her whole life up until now, is doing wonderful! No problems at all and she just loves it! Duncan, my 4 1/2 month old pup has been having a bit of problems. He just loooves the eating part, it's the coming out the other end part that we are having a bit of a problem with right now. I've had to really watch him and adjust when and how much I feed him. You'd think that the old dog would have been the one with the problems! Not here....go figure. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Just take it slow and watch each dog carefully! You have done a great thing!
what's going on with duncan? is he having squirts? or is he constipated?

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I will just say that I am so proud of all the newbies for switching to raw. Its so awesome that you've all taken the plunge and dived right in! I will say that it makes me happy to know that the raw "movement" is gaining more and more of a following! Ya'll keep up the good work and *please* don't hesitate to ask ALL questions!!! It's how you learn from experience and shared knowledge :biggrin:
let's hear a rah rah!!!!! for all of us newbies :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
what's going on with duncan? is he having squirts? or is he constipated?
He's got the oooey goooey poos. Typical of a newly switched dog. Good thing is, she knows exactly what to do with the knowledge she's gained here! She's a good student :wink:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Fed my kids their first RAW meal this morning....and they LOVED IT!!! woohooo!
I gave the huskys a chicken back each and a little breast meat, my male husky Stihl ate like a pro...where as my female LeiLei is still chomping down 10 minutes after everyone else is done..I am thinking she may need to be fed in her crate, to give her some privacy.
The little guys did awesome too. One got a drumstick with some meat cut off, the other two got half of thighs, mostly bone just a little meat, I was a little worried about the size of the bone since all three of the little guys used to gobble down their dry kibble, but they took their time and chewed every little piece!

I am just so EXCITED! I hope it agrees with them, I guess I will find that out later ; )
I know exactly how you feel. I have been feeding raw food for 6 weeks now and the excitement has not worn off. Jody was an underweight dog when I rescued her and kibble just went straight through her. Her stools were soft, mushy, and smelly. Now on raw...small and firm..no smell. She has gained weight beautifully. This is the girl I thought had EPI or SIBO. I am not sure if the excitement will wear off but I love having a healthy, shiny, and good smelling dog.

I can't imagine there are many dogs raw wouldn't agree with not trying to start a debate but I thought my dog couldn't handle raw and it turns out I was feeding too much and too fast. I got some advice from the wonderful people here and she hasn't had diarrhea/soft stool in 6 weeks. It is wonderful to not worry and just enjoy them.

I'm excited for you!:biggrin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Ok so I went out shopping today after feeding my guys their first meal of raw. I came home several hours later to a huge pile of diahrea. Not sure who it came from yet. I am guessing I fed too much muscle meat? I know it had to come from one of the Huskies, I am guessing my female..but I guess I will see tonight if whoever has anymore issues.
(if its my female) Could being in heat and switch to raw possible cause this issue?
I gave them each a chicken back this morning with a little muscle meat. about half of their 2% a day ratio.

I have just fed them their evening meal and gave them all some tylan to help firm up whoever had the issue. So I guess I will see.....
Evening Meal..
Huskies...1 chicken leg each (they chew slowly and efficently so they didnt choke) and a little muscle meat (which I am guessing I should of left the muscle meat out?) I couldnt find many chicken backs at the grocery store, although I got ahold of a organic store that can get 40# shipments of them and necks in, they are going to get back to me with a price!
Little guys...a little muscle meat

Should I be giving less then the 2% until they adjust, unless of course they start losing weight?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
He's got the oooey goooey poos. Typical of a newly switched dog. Good thing is, she knows exactly what to do with the knowledge she's gained here! She's a good student :wink:
Yup. He's had a bit of diarrhea followed by some gooey mucusy poos. He has been fasted for about 24 hours and tonight he will get one chicken back for dinner. We'll go from there....

The only reason I know what to do is because of the tons, and tons, and tons of help from Natalie, Jon, and Bill (not to mention ALL of you, Robin, re, etc)! :biggrin: It makes a HUGE difference to have such a great support group!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Ok so I went out shopping today after feeding my guys their first meal of raw. I came home several hours later to a huge pile of diahrea. Not sure who it came from yet. I am guessing I fed too much muscle meat? I know it had to come from one of the Huskies, I am guessing my female..but I guess I will see tonight if whoever has anymore issues.
(if its my female) Could being in heat and switch to raw possible cause this issue?
I gave them each a chicken back this morning with a little muscle meat. about half of their 2% a day ratio.

I have just fed them their evening meal and gave them all some tylan to help firm up whoever had the issue. So I guess I will see.....
Evening Meal..
Huskies...1 chicken leg each (they chew slowly and efficently so they didnt choke) and a little muscle meat (which I am guessing I should of left the muscle meat out?) I couldnt find many chicken backs at the grocery store, although I got ahold of a organic store that can get 40# shipments of them and necks in, they are going to get back to me with a price!

Should I be giving less then the 2% until they adjust, unless of course they start losing weight?
Since they are just getting started with raw I would not feed any excess meat. I would only feed bone-in chicken. I would also trim the skin/fat off for now.....slowly trimming less and less once they all have solid poops. I for sure would feed less in the beginning. My pup is having some poop issues right now and I think it may be because I was over feeding. Start out slow...right now think less is more! :smile:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I started real simple. I gave Jody, 70 lbs. a stripped chicken back (fat organs taken off) for breakfast and 1 for dinner. If the stool was chalky I left a little more fat on each time. If 2 whole chicken backs is too much then just rip it in half.

My GSD is sensitive and this worked for her.

Tami

·
Registered
10,780 Posts

Evening Meal..

the way i was advised by so many here was to go a little bone heavy....so the bone would act as a constipater, so as to avoid the squirts or piles...

my dogs ate chicken backs for two weeks LOL because i had so messed them up in the beginning....

in the beginning, i believe they should be underfed by a little bit...they have a whole lot of adjusting to do.....

How to get started | Prey Model Raw

Skylar, Zack, and Abby on the WEB

these were my bibles and this forum --- my mentors.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I will do that and just feed them some bone pieces with very little meat starting tomorrow! I hope I can find more chicken backs soon, the only think I could find was packs with 2 backs in and only got 3 packs!!
I did strip all the skin and fat off all pieces and will slowly add it in later on down the road.
Should I be feeding my little guys parts of backs too or is drumsticks/thighs ok if removing most of the meat?
Thanks Again for all your advice and quick replies!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
The only local place I can find chicken backs is at our Whole Foods. I ask them to hold them for me and then I buy the case. It is .99 a lb. and I am sure I am overpaying but I love that they are so easy to get. If I don't call soon enough they ground up all of the backs and most people buy those. I understand some dogs don't have the teeth to grind up a boney chicken back but I wouldn't deprive Jody of that pleasure. Plus her teeth look awesome..in just 6 weeks.

BTW I was determined to make my 2nd attempt at raw feeding successful and Magicre or Re, as I call her, and the two websites she listed helped make it successful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I figured I was giving a little too much muscle meat. I have read and re read the websites I guess i will have to read them again lol. I can't wait til I can find some chicken backs for cheap, hopefully I can find them in the next day or so, it would probably make this process go a lot better!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts