Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not the way that I wanted to introduce myself but here it goes..

First, thank goodness for this site because you are going to change how I take care of my dogs. My 5 yr old Rottie has been diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes. We have been though it with him trying to get his insulin regulated. We've even suffered though seizures. NOW I see one of the reasons why...his food. The vet has him on Prescription Science Diet w/d. Have you seen what they have in it?

"Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose 17.1% (source of fiber), Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Mill Run, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Meal, Iron Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate"

AND 51 % Carbohydrates!!!!!

As they say, when you know better, you do better. So I am going to. Starting today. My goal is a raw diet but we are going to start with canned high protein/low carb. I'm very excited about how this is going to help.

I also have a 12 yr old Boxer who is in great health who will be love this diet too!
Thank you for all the information on this site!
Vpeacock

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome! Switching your diabetic dog to raw is a great way to get his disaease under control. I suggest reading through a lot of the threads in the raw forum and coming up with questions you may have about it. Don't feel embarrassed, the fact that you've seen the problem and are here wanting to fix it is commendable! Let us know
how we can help :biggrin:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sawdust, corn, by products.... why in the world do they even MAKE foods like that. UGH.

I bet you will notice a dramatic change in your dogs condition once you start feeding a species appropriate diet.

Be aware that once you have the carbs and crap food out of his system and onto real meat, his blood sugars will drop dramatically. You will have to adjust his insulin accordingly. You will have to monitor this very closely.

I would urge you to ditch the canned and go straight to raw. You can start with bone-in chicken breasts or leg quarters. 2-3% of his ideal weight to begin with. Your dog is ill. You have nothing to lose. Get him on the path to wellness! We will help you.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi and welcome! :biggrin:

Rotties have a very, very special place in my heart. Back in January I lost my male to osteosarcoma. I still miss him like crazy.

You have come to the right place to learn about raw! Good luck and I know it will help so much! :smile:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your dogs diabetes, raw definitely is the answer to his health and isn't it crazy that vets prescribe this crap!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
51%...makes me wonder WHY he got diabetes in the first place. *cough*horriblefood*cough* It's good to know you've finally seen the light, though! haha. Anyways, we wish you luck in your endeavors. I can only imagine that a diet with less carbs in it *cough*51%!!!*cough* will do him a thousand times better, even if you have to adjust the insulin accordingly. ;)

Reactions: vpeacock

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thank you all for your kind words!

I went this am and bought Azland bag of Evo but I am very interested in the raw diet if I can do it as easily as bone in chicken breasts or leg quarters for now.

I need easy for right now because my husband is in the Air Force and is deployed, I work full time and we have an 8 yr old son. It would be hard to go here and there to get meat but an easier regimen I could definately do!!

Az is 84 lbs (weight loss from the seizures) and my boxer is 74.

Can someone give me some guidance on what to do or should I post on the raw food board?

Thanks again!
vpeacock

·
Registered
204 Posts
You'll probably get more help on the raw board, but yes - chicken will get you started. Figure about 3% of ideal adult weight and then feed that daily with bone in chicken. Bone-in breasts work. Leg quarters work. Whole chickens cut in halves or quarters work.

I'd probably take the skin off for the first few meals and then gradually add it back in. Sometimes it causes loose stools.

NO kibble. Just go cold turkey. You don't need to ease into a raw diet. Just pick the next meal and start.

Make sure you get chicken that is NOT enhanced. Read the label. Keep the sodium at 100mg or less. Your dog doesn't need additives and salt.

Once stools are stabilized, you can start adding in other proteins and organs. But keep it simple for now.

If you are nervous or need some reassurance, go to youtube and type in raw fed dogs. You will find a ton of videos of dogs eating raw.

Here's some links. This one is a great place to start and you can spend a lot of time going through the many pages here. The "myths of raw feeding" pages are invaluable and answers most, if not all, the questions a newbie to raw will have. Invaluable site!

Practical Answers to Practical Questions About Raw

THE MANY MYTHS ABOUT RAW FEEDING

Raw Feeding FAQ

The raw feeders yahoo group is a great place to learn also. There are over 16,000 raw feeders on the list from all over the world.

rawfeeding : Raw Feeding for dogs and cats!

Another site I like that has a lot of good history, anatomy of the dog and why it's made to eat raw, and lots of good links on the link page ....

Raw Fed Dogs

A raw feeders blog with lots of interesting info …

dog leash puppy school feeding at krisannriorawfeeding.com

More info and lots of links!

My Pet Carnivore - Rawfeeding Basics

Anatomy and physiology of the dog versus the wolf and the debate on whether dogs are omnivores or carnivores.

http://aspenbloompetcare.com/2009/07/dogs-the-omnivore-carnivore-controversy.htm

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are lots of raw feeders here and we are more than willing to help! Do a little research and off you go. You won’t regret it and your dog will thank you! Once you see the difference that a raw diet makes, your only regret will be not doing it sooner.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Hi and welcome. Don't feel embarrassed at all, at least you have the intelligence to do something about it. I know quite a few people who know what they are feeding their dogs is crap but don't bother themselves to do anything about it. Good luck, you are doing the right thing by your pups.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
over on raw

I moved my questions to the raw board.
Please go there and leave me advice.
I'm really going to give this a try and am very excited about this for my dogs!!!
VPeacock

1 - 11 of 11 Posts