Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyone here who has there small dogs on raw? i was just wondering if i look into starting mine on raw whats best for really small dogs (7 lb min pin and 13 lb chihuahua mix). i tried a few years ago with the min pin and one day he almost choked on a turkey neck cause he was having such a hard time chewing it so i went back to dry.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
is there anyone here who has there small dogs on raw? i was just wondering if i look into starting mine on raw whats best for really small dogs (7 lb min pin and 13 lb chihuahua mix). i tried a few years ago with the min pin and one day he almost choked on a turkey neck cause he was having such a hard time chewing it so i went back to dry.
"Almost choking" is not choking. Dogs don't chew like we do and often we think a dog is choking when he is just acting normal for him. Unless you cut the neck into very small pieces there is no way for a small dog to choke on them. The answer to choking is to feed larger pieces.

It takes a dog new to raw a little time to figure out how to eat them. It will take them 30 minutes or more in the beginning to eat something that a few weeks down the road they will eat in 3 minutes.

You can feed small dogs like yours things like chicken wings and drumsticks and thighs. I don't think I would feed the 13lb dog thighs. You will soon figure out what size works for them. Just remember to make them work for thier food and don't cut up things so small they can swallow them whole. I wouldn't cut anything up. They will learn to handle most anything you want to put down for them.

You can cut off meal size portions of pork roasts. You can feed pork ribs. You can cut off meal size portions of beef heart. Your options are limitless. Just remember to cut off MEAL size portions, not BITE size portions. Let them have the pleasure of ripping out the bite size stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
raw for small dogs

Hi,

From what I've read, chicken/turkey necks are supposed to be fed as a supplement only - you could try dehydrated chews instead (Dogswell makes Duck, Chicken, etc.). I transitioned my 16 pound cairn/westie mix last summer from dry kibble to raw food because she had some stomach issues and was allergic to Frontline (which I will never use on any animal ever again). Initially, I made what's called a booster mix by adding raw meat and supplements to her existing dry kibble. Because she's small, it's not a big deal for me to make her food so I follow recipes in Dr. Pitcairn's most recent book. She was never crazy about dry food and she definitely likes my preparations better. I rescued her from the streets of our neighborhood at 1 yr. old and she was underweight - she now weighs 23 pounds, which is what a westie should weigh. Best of luck. :)

Stephanie

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 15.9 pound dog that is now eating raw. He is getting chicken wings and chicken drumsticks and has no problem chewing them up. His eating rate has slowed tremendously - I always thought he was inhaling his kibble! He also can eat chicken necks now that he chews.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah for a smaller dog I'd recommend chicken wings to start with to get him used to eating it. My dogs used to take forever to get through drumsticks, now they can eat a drumstick in two bites. Albeit my smallest dog is 25 lbs, but still dogs can handle it, you just have to work them up to it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My Mini Schnauzer, 17.5 lbs, has been eating raw for the three years he's been with me. He eats necks, backs, legs, etc. without a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts