Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching my friends dog for a week while she's away, I believe he's a shorkie (shitzu/yorkie mix), I took him for a 45 min walk this morning and he was definitely falling behind, I'm used to walking my dog for at least an hour each morning, but the problem was that the neighborhood she lives in has no shade from trees like mine and he has long hair.

So I took him home with me tonight, so we'll walk early in the shade tommorow. Do you think 1 hour is too much for this type of dog? I watch for any stress signals like excessive panting, laying down, etc and bring a portable water with me just in case.

I would like some feedback from small dog owners, or of similar breed type.
thanks you

Heres little Bailey

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I think it would also depend on the pace. I walk my friends chihuahua sometimes, if we go at our normal walk pace she only lasts 15 minutes max. If we meander along, then she'll last an hour no trouble.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
in the heat, my pug can do about a half mile before he starts lagging, but he is a smushy faced dog and has trouble regulating his body temp...

so we do half mile walks every few hours, unless it's cooler and then he can go the two mile distance, which takes us about 45 minutes when you account for pee stops, strange smell stops, corrections for pulling....:)

seems to me an hour would be too much for the cutie in the pic....

·
Registered
21 Posts
aw bailey's adorable! :)

i would also take into consideration bailey's current activity level (how much exercise does she normally get a day), her age, what time of day you are walking (in houston in july i can't take more than 10 minutes of outside between 10am and 6pm), and any medical conditions she may have. i'm glad to see you are bringing water with you and looking out for heat exhaustion. my dog yuffie is 1.5 years old, about 11 pounds, and is long haired. i try to walk her every day for at least a small 1/2 mile walk, but a few times a week it can be as much a 2-5 miles. lol it all depends on how early i start so i can be home before the 95+ degree heat doesn't get to me.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the suggestions, his owner has back problems, so he doesent get walked much at all, just runs around the yard, but I'm sure she'll be taking him on more walks once she gets her back surgery.

Anyways, yesterday we got up bright and early, Bailey for ready to go and walk actually walking at the same pace as Uno for 40 mins. Then I let them both off leash to run around thsi short trail and they did few zoomies around the baseball field. I gave them both some water and let him rest for a little, then we headed back.
This time he wasnt behind on the walk at all, quite the opposite, just trotting along sinde Uno, like a little terrier should. But since he was a bit filthy from all the sand stuck to his feet and belly, I washed him in cool water once we got back, which helped.

He actually seems to have more energy then Uno, always running around sniffing everything and Loves to play fetch!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts