Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow dog lovers! I have a 1+ year old black and tan bloodhound that I have fed Eukanuba since I got her. It was recommended by a friend (not a breeder or dog professional of any sort). I started her on the large breed puppy formula and am now feeding her the large breed adult formula. I'm not sure if it's just the bloodline, the specific puppy, or nutritional issues, but, she doesn't seem to be filling out like other bloodhounds I have seen. She made a year old in March and at that time she was only weighing a little over 50 lbs. I'm wondering whether or not to switch her to a different food. Is there anybody out there who could offer up a little bit of information? I've owned a dog of almost every known size and breed at one point or another, but, this is the first bloodhound I've dealt with.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi and welcome. :smile:
There are much better foods out there to feed. I will recommend any foods by Champion (Orijen/Acana) or Horizon. Both of these companys are trustworthy and make excellent grain free kibbles.

Champion Petfoods | Home
http://www.horizonpetfood.com/

Has she had a general check up by a vet lately? Has she been checked for parasites? Anything medical that could explain her not filling out and gaining weight normally?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Sara! Thanks for the quick reply. She went to the vet in March, when she made a year old. That is when I last had her weighed. They did a thorough check for parasites and everything came back "A-OK". As far as the food goes, I am definitely open to any suggestions. Will switching foods on her cause any upset stomach issues?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hello fellow dog lovers! I have a 1+ year old black and tan bloodhound that I have fed Eukanuba since I got her. It was recommended by a friend (not a breeder or dog professional of any sort). I started her on the large breed puppy formula and am now feeding her the large breed adult formula. I'm not sure if it's just the bloodline, the specific puppy, or nutritional issues, but, she doesn't seem to be filling out like other bloodhounds I have seen. She made a year old in March and at that time she was only weighing a little over 50 lbs. I'm wondering whether or not to switch her to a different food. Is there anybody out there who could offer up a little bit of information? I've owned a dog of almost every known size and breed at one point or another, but, this is the first bloodhound I've dealt with.
Is she too thin? Can you see her ribs, spine and hip bones?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Malluver! I don't think she looks "sickly" or anything. She's a bloodhound, so her build is thin towards the back hips and broader up front. No spine is showing. Ribs aren't pronounced or anything. I have a picture album on my profile page if you want to check her out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I don't know much about Bloodhounds, so I have no idea how big they are supposed to be. BTW, she's a very pretty girl. Could it be possible that she's the runt of the litter?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ribs aren't pronounced or anything. I have a picture album on my profile page if you want to check her out. Thanks!
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Her build sounds good. I don't know about the growth patterns of bloodhounds. I have Great Danes and they grow up 2 years and out another year after that so they are 3yo before the stop growing. Give her some more time.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I don't know much about how Bloodhounds grow, but she looks great in the pics. She looks so happy! Her tongue hangs down almost as long as her ears! :tongue: From the side shot you have she looks perfect!

Reactions: gooch735
1 - 10 of 10 Posts