Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I went to wal mart and bought Grissom 10lbs of Chicken quarters to get started. It was only $7 and at a half pound a day, that's 20 days worth of food! This is cheap! Holy cow.
One question: Do I leave the skin on or take it off?? Luckily my fiance is in the back hacking these things apart, I am soooo not a "meat" person.:tongue:

Is he missing anything if I take it off, because quite frankly, it's a pain in the you-know-what

·
Registered
154 Posts
I started the girls with the skin on and I think you should too! :biggrin:

If his tummy gets upset, then and only then would I put forth the effort to take it off. :wink:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
One question: Do I leave the skin on or take it off??
Leave it on. If he has soft stools or diarrhea in the beginning, take it off.

Is he missing anything if I take it off, because quite frankly, it's a pain in the you-know-what
Mostly fat but fat is good for dogs. Dogs utilize fat like we utilize carbs.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We never did take it off either. If anything it made them want to eat it more when I made the switch. It was an "easy" thing for them to tear off and chew on without much effort, considering they knew NOTHING about tearing meat off of bones. Definitely encouraged or opened the door for them to learn how to tear the meat off.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
It was only $7 and at a half pound a day, that's 20 days worth of food! This is cheap! Holy cow.
Wait, I thought you were gonna give him about a full pound (one chicken leg quarter) per day? That's how much my corgi mix gets and he maintains beautifully with that amount and he's 2 1/2 years old and pretty active. Not trying to put a damper on the raw feeding from the get-go, I just don't want him to loose weight again!

And I'd definitely leave the skin on unless he has any problems with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts