Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruckus has constantly cracked paw pads. they will clear up, and come right back. we have been battling these two very deep cracks in is paw pads for over two years, FINALLY they healed, and more are trying to form.
Ruckus also itches a lot. his skin gets reddish and he breaks out with a rash on the underside of his hind legs and belly. the fur around his eyes is also a bit then, and he scratches his face often.

Does this sound like something that might be fixed by a grain free diet?

I have showed my vet all of this every year when we go in for our check up. she has never showed concern. We showed another vet his paws, and that lady just wanted to argue with me saying that he cut them on something, when I told her it IS a crack I watched it get this bad, nothing was helping.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind that a grain free diet, or even better-prey model raw, will clear those things up. The cracked paws and itching are most likely an allergic reaction to something, probably grains, in the food that he is eating. If I were you I would switch his diet right away because it will take some time for the allergens to get out of his system.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the reply. I have started the switch to TOTW about 5 days ago. since his belly was handling everything fine we are already doing 50% TOTW and 50% Iams (what he was eating before, but he has also been feed Diamond naturals and chicken soup and have done poorly)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Both of those other foods were not grain free right? Which would explain him still having problems with them and his allergies!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no he has never been on grain free.
and he used to get a milk bone at least once a day. those are grain and junk heavy too

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I believe the diet should help with the itching and rash, that definitely sounds like an allergic reaction. And when does the paw pad thing happen? you could try putting Bag Balm on them so they stay nice and moisturized.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we have actually tried everything. I have 20 + products for dogs paws, and people cell revivers, etc.
so far the only thing that works is Burt's Bees medicated lip balm. If i do not apply every two days his paws look horrible!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you see him licking and/or chewing on his paws? My new puppy did that until I started on the raw. I was feeding him Nuto Ultra Puppy when I first got him and in no time he was attacking his paws:eek: My other dogs were scratching alot and had runny eyes also. I was feeding them grain free. That's when I said to heck with the kibble and went raw.
Even if it's grain free, there's alot of different things in kibble, and I got tired of trying to figure out what it was that they were allergic to.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
In addition to diet change, try bag balm to heal the paws, I've talked to several dog owners and they swear by this stuff.

Also to prevent the cracks, theres something called mushers wax, its especially useful in the snow or when pavement is covered in salt so it doesent irritate the feet when it gets into the cracks.

Mushers Secret Wax

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bag balm or mushers secret did not work

you name it, i have it! LOL

Ruckus rarely chews or lick his paws, but he does some.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Your dog must be suffering from some allergy. I have heard of an old remedy which I do not know if this works I have never done this but I have heard of equal amount water and equal amount apple cider vinegar . You soak the paws with this and dry them off a few times a day & it is suppose to work. Like I said I have not done this but my mother in law talked of this with her dog years ago. Old fashion but who knows!
I cant believe your vet dissed this! Oh yah I can haha! Sometimes they just think everythings fine when in actuality it is not!
I would go for an allergy food such as the wellness simple solutions or a california natural something you can get for fogs with alergies!
I hope your doggy gets better!

Reactions: ruckusluvr

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you! I am switching him to a grain free diet as of last week. he is up to %50 grain free and %50 Iams now.
I have actually tried the apple cider trick and it does help a lot :)
not like Burt's bees lip balm though. I have no idea why it is working so well where others have failed!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have heard of an old remedy which I do not know if this works I have never done this but I have heard of equal amount water and equal amount apple cider vinegar . You soak the paws with this and dry them off a few times a day & it is suppose to work. Like I said I have not done this but my mother in law talked of this with her dog years ago. Old fashion but who knows!
This works really well if there's a yeast or fungal infection on the paws. Which could be a factor, even if the main underlying problem is an allergy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does TOTW stand for Taste of the Wild? I have a 7 month old french bulldog puppy that is having the same issues (rash on belly and armpits and chewing her paws). She is on Iams puppy, but I am going to try a grain free diet to see if that helps out. My breeder uses Taste of the wild for all of her dogs. Does anyone have experience with this brand and food allergies?:confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does TOTW stand for Taste of the Wild? I have a 7 month old french bulldog puppy that is having the same issues (rash on belly and armpits and chewing her paws). She is on Iams puppy, but I am going to try a grain free diet to see if that helps out. My breeder uses Taste of the wild for all of her dogs. Does anyone have experience with this brand and food allergies?:confused:
Yes, TOTW = Taste of the Wild

I feed TOTW as well as raw. When I got my dog from the shelter he was on Science Diet. When I brought him home he had sores on the back of his neck and by his tail. His belly and paws were red and fur-less. I've seen major improvements since bringing him home and changing his diet. I plan to get him switched completely to raw, but TOTW is pretty good stuff and way better than SD. Surprisingly, at least here anyway, it's also cheaper than SD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Totw

Any particular flavor of TOTW I should get for the allergies? High Prairie, Wetlands, Pacific Stream? Or is it just a taste preference for the dog?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any particular flavor of TOTW I should get for the allergies? High Prairie, Wetlands, Pacific Stream? Or is it just a taste preference for the dog?
If you'll be using dry kibble, I'd probably go with High Prairie or Wetlands because they have a higher protein content. However all three are grain-free.

I use canned and he likes them all.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
thank you! I am switching him to a grain free diet as of last week. he is up to %50 grain free and %50 Iams now.
I have actually tried the apple cider trick and it does help a lot :)
not like Burt's bees lip balm though. I have no idea why it is working so well where others have failed!
I am so happy the apple cider vinegar trick is working or at least helping! I am going to tell my mother in law! I know this is probably some old thing they did way back when but heck some of those old fashion cures or helps, seem to at least do some goodl! Hope pups much better!:smile:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, now Ruckus is smelly and has a hot spot.

I guess it will take a few weeks to know if the TOTW will help right? Its been about two weeks now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts