Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I came here for help and info on the RAW diet for my girls, mainly Casey. I was welcomed with open arms and shown the way but only one person stood in my way and it was no one on the forum but the man I married.

I was in for a long first month of feeding RAW and being harrassed endlessly on how I was going to hurt our dogs and make them sick, day in and day out. My hubby never once read up on RAW feeding. Never once did he read up on kibble and how carbs and the lot in bagged dog food is bad for carnivores i.e. our dogs...

We went round and round and round, every day at about the time I was to feed the girls. He had a very difficult time with Casey eating RAW chicken/meat and how she would never get used to it, SHE'S TOO OLD! yada, yada, yada... it was constant.

Well, have you ever gotten to the point where you just say fuck it and walk away from it all? I did it and it broke my heart! I cried as I could not take any more crap from him... I did the unthinkable and went to the store and bought a 50 dollar bag of TOTW kibble. *hides in horror* I was just sick of it and beside myself because I had no support here at home once the computer was shut down for the night. It is also the reason why I stopped coming for awhile because I couldn't face you guys and know that my dogs were eating kibble. *discust*

I did everything I could for my girls, I thought and I felt that I had lost the great battle that day I picked the kibble up. Heart sick is an understatement but all the harrassment went away. He was very pleasant to me but pleasant I was not. I did not talk to him. I had spent my 10th yr wedding anniversary alone in the woods with a 20 gauge shot gun on a cold rainy day. I had to swollow my pride and watch my girls eat this kibble. I had to watch as Casey laid on the couch digging at herself more and more and DH would tell her to stop but I kept my mouth shut! I watched as their poop became bigger and messier. I saw Casey's energy level die off. Ava's eye boogers came back and even worse, she got the skittles and they both got gas. The back yard became a mine feild! DH would say that the dogs don't like their food. I shrugged my shoulders. There was nothing I could do about it. My hands were tied. They had pretty much the best of the best in terms of kibble. :eek: I was done with RAW but I ached to continue!!!

Well, I'm ashamed of giving into DH but something changed and he came to me yesterday afternoon and said, you know, I really hate to say it but I think Ava did better on RAW and I think you should start back up BUT Casey is TOO OLD to be fed RAW. Here we go again! I told him many older dogs are switched to RAW after years of being kibble fed and become accustomed to RAW and gain years back to their lives and vitality! You are doing a HUGE disservice to Casey by not giving her the best! *shuts mouth*

He goes on to say that he wants to do a food challenge and let Casey pick her own food. I said fine. *Me thinks she's had enough RAW for a month, I know she's gotta pick the chicken!!!* :biggrin: So I go to their freezer which hadn't been opened for almost two weeks and I get them a chicken to thaw and pick up the bowls of kibble that they had eaten for breakfast. I am praying to God that Casey will show him where the bear shits in the woods because I know Ava would do cartwheels for RAW.

So dinner time comes.
Here is the video of Casey chosing her dinner...
YouTube - 11/1/09 Casey Chooses Her Food...

With all that said, I believe DH saw the benefits of RAW in that month that I was feeding it to them but just couldn't get over it and accept that maybe it is what's best for them and that he was wrong. As you can see, he is participating in their feedings which he had never done before other than to harrass me and them while they ate. He was having trouble seeing me give Casey a whole piece of chicken so I have comprimized a bit and chopped it into hunks for her to where she'll still have to chew, chew, chew to get it down but I feel we're on our way even though I have to start all over again, atleast they aren't destined for bags of kibble after bags of kibble.

I'm not proud of what I did and I hope that I don't get an ear beating from you guys but I sure am happy that DH came to me and said to try again. It makes life easier, especially when he tells Casey to go ahead and eat her chicken. :smile:

And I just want to thank you guys for being here for me and listening to me when I was under such emense pressure from him. When I reversed psychology on him and gave up completely, I had hoped that it would be just a matter of time before he saw it my way and I believe it helped the girls and I in some way even though it set us back a bit. So thank all of you who have been here for the girls and I and supported us since we started. It means alot to me and I'll never forget all the kind words of encouragement you gave us! Hopefully, I will be able to stop posting on how hubby is derailing us in the future!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm so relieved. I didn't know what you'd say about me giving in. I put up such a huge fight but I think Casey sealed the deal on her own. I'm greatful he gave her a chance!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yay I'm so happy he finally gave in! I think the switch back to kibble was necessary to get him on board so I don't blame you in the slightest for taking that risk because it paid off in the end, good job! I'm so proud of him for finally getting it! And go Casey for saving herself and proving you right in the process!

What a great story! Even my bf who is totally on board with raw but thinks I'm a total nerd for being on here enjoyed it :biggrin:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The girls are nudging me and crying for dinner. They're each splitting a whole chicken! :biggrin:

Gotta go! :cool:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
It really does suck that it took switching back to kibble to make him realize that raw is the better choice, but at least it got his attention as to WHY you wanted to switch in the first place. I bet he's kickin' himself right now for being wrong about it and for being a complete ass about it in the first place. And I bet you are relishing the glory of the win!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't you know it!

He said today I better feed them more than chicken and HEY!!! I could be right now if he wasn't such an ass about it but I don't want to mess their systems up by giving them other meats too soon. I have to account for the two weeks that he took off of them ya know...

Sucks but I just can't throw them a steak right now. I could have but no, not now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm glad you won the battle..I'm dealing with the same thing right now with my Fiance, although I have never fed raw, but want to.

She's an amazing Spanish girl and I'm Italian, and we but heads on everything lol, we're both very stubborn. I've been getting to her though about feeding raw, from health benefits, cost, etc.

I'm at a point now where she said if I read Twilight (Keep in mind I'm not a fan of reading) she will sit down with me and let me show her and explain everything about raw feeding. Right now Anytime I mention it, she doesn't want to hear it, so hopefully I'll be on here soon with a similar story :biggrin:

...Just have to buckle down and dive into this book, not cool :mad:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Ordinarily I'd say reading is good for you and I love reading, but Twilight? That's pretty rough, man. She could've at least given you something like Harry Potter or even some Dan Brown (he may not be the best author, but it's hard to put his books down). Ah well, good luck and just keep in mind, it's for the sake of your dog!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry for Hi-jacking your thread, but yes I have to read that. I'm not looking forward to it. She has all the books, and read them in like 2 weeks. I think she's going to start to read them again? So that will maybe motivate me to start, we'll see.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw you say in another thread that she was against you. I was gonna post that your fiance and my hubby should get together some time. :biggrin:

Good Luck.

Well, I'm part bitch and my Hubby is Italian. Our blood runs HOT, especially towards each other! :biggrin: We both have BIG tempers. Just so happens that I'm right and he's not! :tongue:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Sorry for Hi-jacking your thread, but yes I have to read that. I'm not looking forward to it. She has all the books, and read them in like 2 weeks. I think she's going to start to read them again? So that will maybe motivate me to start, we'll see.
Just read em...I did. They are certainly not the best read out there, thats for sure. They are an easy, fun read....yeah, kinda girly but the story is engaging at least. And if you do...then you have no excuse to not feed your dogs raw right? And that is the goal!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
and you can have a fun time picking up the subtle Mormon undertones! who doesn't love that?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just read em...I did. They are certainly not the best read out there, thats for sure. They are an easy, fun read....yeah, kinda girly but the story is engaging at least. And if you do...then you have no excuse to not feed your dogs raw right? And that is the goal!
See that's where this deal we have is one sided I think. I have to read the book, then she will sit down with me and let me show her the benefits of raw, Meaning i'm going to sit her down and make her read a lot of info on it and try to teach her the best I can. Although i'm very novice on the topic, i'm learning about it more and more on here. She still may refuse to feed raw after I show her everything.

Honestly, I should do a test like BGBY did if she agrees to try and feed raw. Try it for a month or 2 then put kibble or raw in a bowl and let the pup pick.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah but only do that if she doesn't already love the results of the raw diet. Maybe the deal should be that if you read that entire, awful series, (because it's kind of a long one) then she not only has to listen to you about raw, but let you feed it for a trial period of two weeks. That way you and Bailey are at least guaranteed some sort of win in the matter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's an option, but the WHOLE series?! lol I'll see what I can work out from one book and go from there

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Why don't you just put your foot down and make an executive decision? Who is more in charge of the dogs in the first place?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd say I am, But I don't want to disrespect her like that. I had to convince her that grain free was GOOD after I bought a bag of Horizon and switched Bailey to that from Innova...and that was a battle lol

I would just put my foot down, but I don't feel like fighting. We both bought her, I can't just decide like that. It's not fair to her, even though raw is 100% better for our dog.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think she's being a lil rediculous making you read a book you have no intrest in that will certainly not benefit your dogs and certainly take time away from the research you could be doing for the dogs.

DH would not read anything that had to do with RAW! I went on with it with out him!

Ask her what people back in the day, more than 50 years ago feed their dogs? Dog kibble is relatively new verses RAW MEAT that's been around for hundreds and hundreds of years!

Personally, I think she's stroking you. I think she's trying her ways to see how she can manipulate you and let me tell ya, if you fall for it and read the book, I think you'd be setting yourself up for more of the same in the future. Let's say you want to go on a hunting trip in 5 years with your buddies... is she going to make you read the whole edition of Betty Crocker just so you can go? She might if you give in and read Twilight!!! :eek:

I don't think reading TWILIGHT will do you or your dogs any good in getting the them on RAW. I think she's being immature at best with this stupid deal she thinks she has going on between the two of you. I'm with you though in thinking you're getting a bum deal because she may not agree with you in the end. I can't help it! I just wanna yell GROW UP!

Just feed the dogs RAW already! If she has a problem with it, tell her to do the research but make sure you get rid of all the bagged kibble so she can't feed it to them. That's what I had to do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts