Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, happened upon it in my neverending dogfood search.

I am currently trying to find a suitable food for my 1 year old male great dane. I've fed pedigree and other lower-cost, lower-end dog foods in the past, but now that I know better, I've been trying to find something GOOD for my dane. While I haven't had a ton of problems on the lower-quality foods (raised and know of several happy, healthy dogs over 12), some of the more daily problems (lots of waste, teeth tartar, poor coat, etc) I am hoping I can help. I've been researching (in my own way) dog food for a long time now. So far I have tried Canidae, Chicken soup, nutri-source, health-wise, pro-plan (as I've seen lots of dogs thrive on it, but realize it isn't a good quality food) and most recently Taste of the Wild wetlands, which he seems to enjoy the taste, I like the ingredients, priced right, but unfortunately the protein is 32% with Fat at 18% and the recommended protein is under 24% and fat at less than 14%. He has been diagnosed and is going in for surgery next week for an OCD lesion, and since he is still growing, I'm not sure I am comfortable feeding him this 32-18 food. Since I've tried so many, I am getting worried about his all this switching and his digestive system, and I want to have a good idea what to try next, so hopefully we can stick with it and stop with all the playing around. Finally, I have a hard time spending $50+ on a bag of 30lb dog food, I'd really like to stay around $40, or $45 at the most. I have considered making the switch to raw, but I am not in a place that this would be feasible for me at the moment. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good food that meets this criteria?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you are close to Costco, try their Kirkland Signature Brand Dog Kibble. For the money, it is pretty good stuff and afforable.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Taste of the Wild wetlands, which he seems to enjoy the taste, I like the ingredients, priced right, but unfortunately the protein is 32% with Fat at 18% and the recommended protein is under 24% and fat at less than 14%.
He has finished the greatest portion of his growth and I wouldn't worry about the protein levels. Protein is the building block of muscles and won't be a problem for him. If I had to feed kibble, I would feed EVO or Orijen. Since I don't feed kibble, I don't keep up with the prices so I can't help you there.

I am getting worried about his all this switching and his digestive system, and I want to have a good idea what to try next, so hopefully we can stick with it and stop with all the playing around.
Don't be concerned about switching. I suggest feeding grain free and as high protein and you can afford. Other than that, they are all about the same.

·
Registered
333 Posts
yea im an Evo and Orijen gal which definitely don't help the budget. As someone else suggested, Kirkland Signature Brand from Costco isn't too bad for the cost.

·
Banned
620 Posts
If I was going to pick a kibble, it would only be Abady Kibble diets. They do not contain the omnivore buffet of ingredients as seen with the other high end kibbles. Unless of course you feel your dog is an omnivore, then you may welcome fruits and veggies in the diet.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Disreguard everything they've told you about protien content. Your dog, just like every other dog, is a carnivore.
Unless you plan to go raw, which is highly recommended, but entirely up to you, I'd say Orijen or Evo. They do contain fruits and veggies, but are grain free and have the highest meat content in kibbles. Other foods might not have as many fruits and veggies but fill it with cheap "animal product" fillers. Choice is yours.

As far as price, they are expensive. I know we sell a 28lb bag for $56.
If you're on a tight budget but still want to do better than grocery store brands, Kirkland SIgnature (CostCo) is decent for the price.

·
Banned
620 Posts
Disreguard everything they've told you about protien content
True, gluten source proteins, the protien from veggies, fruits, grains, have a biological value of zero to the dog. So when you see 42% you should seriously think twice.

Grain free is a gimmick. You have gained no value by replacing grain fiber with plant fiber, you are hence back to square one again.

They do contain fruits and veggies, but are grain free and have the highest meat content in kibbles.
No matter how you look at the ingredients and meat content, kibbles can only be 20% meat by definition. Any more than that it won't hold together and be a kibble. You have to look at the whole package of the ingredients.

No offense, but a lot of you raw feeders out there talk a good game, but fall right back into the path a commercial omnivore nutrition, hook, line and sinker.
Leads me to believe a lot of raw feeders must think the same. Not sure if the fully get the picture about omnivore nutrition and what that means. With the exception of maybe ramiller. I think she gets it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
True, gluten source proteins, the protien from veggies, fruits, grains, have a biological value of zero to the dog. So when you see 42% you should seriously think twice.
I think EVO claims 95% of their protein is animal protein but I might have them confused with someone else.

Grain free is a gimmick. You have gained no value by replacing grain fiber with plant fiber, you are hence back to square one again.
Except that grain in kibble causes digestive problems in many dogs.

No matter how you look at the ingredients and meat content, kibbles can only be 20% meat by definition.
I don't know where you got that information unless it was in Abady's promotional material.

No offense, but a lot of you raw feeders out there talk a good game, but fall right back into the path a commercial omnivore nutrition, hook, line and sinker.
I think most of us raw feeders feed meat, bones, and organs with no plant material in it. However when talking to kibble people about kibbles, you can't find one without plant material. Even your Abady is full of rice. I don't see rice as being any better for dogs than the other plants in kibbles.

Leads me to believe a lot of raw feeders must think the same. Not sure if the fully get the picture about omnivore nutrition and what that means. With the exception of maybe ramiller. I think she gets it.
I think we all understand AND FEED carnivore diets to our dogs.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Of course you don't.
Because there is none.

And, when there is no other options to raw,
In my book, there are no other acceptable options to raw.

move right back to omnivore nutrition where 10 plants are better than 1. You make no sense.
If the total volume plant material is less in the food that has 10 plants, then yes, it is better. In other words, you can have a tiny amount of 10 different plants or a whole bunch of one plant which happens to be a grain and total volume of the grain is more than the total volume of the 10 plants, then 10 plants is best (actually least worst). I don't know why you can't see that. Oh, I forget, you get your information from Abady promotional material.

·
Banned
620 Posts
If the total volume plant material ...
Totally confused as usual. There are NO plant materials in Abady foods. There are some plant oils and non-allergenic rice grain...but no PLANT MATERIALS. Plant material typically used in omnivore nutriton like the feeds you recommend. Nice try though.

·
Banned
620 Posts
In my book, there are no other acceptable options to raw.
In my book there are acceptable options to raw and it is called ABADY. When you can't feed Abady, then raw becomes the only acceptable option. There is no room in my book for omnivore nutrition. Sorry, I just can't phantom recommending diets with broccoli and seaweed and cranberry dust.
That would be your department with those picks, not mine!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Totally confused as usual. There are NO plant materials in Abady foods. There are some plant oils and non-allergenic rice grain...but no PLANT MATERIALS. Plant material typically used in omnivore nutriton like the feeds you recommend. Nice try though.
On which planet is rice not a plant??????? It's certainly not animal. It's got to be one or the other. Abady promotional materia is getting wierder and wierder. Wake up, CB. You are dreaming.

ETA: Your Abady stuff is the same as any other kibble.

·
Banned
620 Posts
On which planet is rice not a plant??????? It's certainly not animal. It's got to be one or the other. Abady promotional materia is getting wierder and wierder. Wake up, CB. You are dreaming.

ETA: Your Abady stuff is the same as any other kibble.
You think grains of white rice (what comes off the plant) is the same as plant matter likes roots (chicory), kelp (seaweed) yucca, garlic????
Nope, plant matter is exactly that, however grains of rice (from a plant) pose no danger to the animal. There is a huge difference, but no one really excepts you to see or understand that. If you honesty feel a product like Abady granular is the same as any other kibble diet, you're the one who really needs to WAKE UP! What I am doing is greater safety as twice as effective as (commercial) whole prey.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not to butt into the latest argument but I seem to remember learning that rice is the seed from a plant just like corn and wheat. Not that rice is bad, I would bet most if it just goes right thought a dog digestive system unused just like other grains do, that is what causes the big turds. Just saying.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
You think grains of white rice (what comes off the plant) is the same as plant matter likes roots (chicory), kelp (seaweed) yucca, garlic????
Yes, exactly. Rice is part of a plant just as leaves, roots, stems, flowers, etc. It's the repoductive part of a plant. It would be the same as a seed, or kernel, or a pine cone, or acorn, etc.

What I am doing is greater safety as twice as effective as (commercial) whole prey.
HAHA ... Exactly where does that information come from (like I don't know)??? :smile:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Not to butt into the latest argument but I seem to remember learning that rice is the seed from a plant just like corn and wheat. Not that rice is bad, I would bet most if it just goes right thought a dog digestive system unused just like other grains do, that is what causes the big turds. Just saying.
Yep, you are exactly correct.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts