Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 2 days now I've been trying to feed my dog chicken wings so he could eat the bone and he just won't. he carries it around in his mouth but never eats it, so I end up feeding him chicken chunks and now he's even refusing to eat those. He also has not pooped in a little over 2 days either. I've tried chicken thighs, legs and wings and he just won't them unless it's taken off of the bone. I've peeled away most of the meat towards the bone in hopes he will start chewing on it but never does. I'm starting tho think maybe raw isn't for us :frown: Any suggestions??:confused:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Feed him just one wing. If he is still hungry when he finishes the meat, he should eat the bone.

Does he chew on hard chew toys? How old is he? Are his teeth in good shape?

Try feeding him a frozen wing. He should have to chew on that.

Saying raw isn't for a particular dog is like saying grass isn't for a particular cow.

Don't worry bout his poop. Dogs hardly ever poop when fed raw. My 2 Great Danes poop two little logs about the size if my thumb each day. Have patience. Don't give up yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feed him just one wing. If he is still hungry when he finishes the meat, he should eat the bone.

Does he chew on hard chew toys? How old is he? Are his teeth in good shape?

Try feeding him a frozen wing. He should have to chew on that.

Saying raw isn't for a particular dog is like saying grass isn't for a particular cow.

Don't worry bout his poop. Dogs hardly ever poop when fed raw. My 2 Great Danes poop two little logs about the size if my thumb each day. Have patience. Don't give up yet.
he doesn't even eat any of the meat from the wing. He just walks around with it. He doesn't even attempt to eat, really. No, he does not chew on chew toys. He was attacked by a dog about 4 years ago and ever since then he hasn't chewed on toys, bones, ect. He does have them though. He is a 7 year old pomeranian and his teeth are in good shape. He was @ the doggy dentist for a cleaning in april and had 4 teeth removed, one fang and 3 other teeth.

I'm not sure a frozen wing would work only because he doesn't chew on the unfrozen one, but I could try.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
For 2 days now I've been trying to feed my dog chicken wings so he could eat the bone and he just won't. he carries it around in his mouth but never eats it, so I end up feeding him chicken chunks and now he's even refusing to eat those. He also has not pooped in a little over 2 days either. I've tried chicken thighs, legs and wings and he just won't them unless it's taken off of the bone. I've peeled away most of the meat towards the bone in hopes he will start chewing on it but never does. I'm starting tho think maybe raw isn't for us :frown: Any suggestions??:confused:
If he absolutely will not eat the bone, under any circumstanes, you can crush it up into tiny tiny pieces, like a powder, and mix it with the meat that way.
I only would do this as an absolute last resort, as it takes away all the tooth and gums benefits.
As for the poop, I wouldn't worry about it. My Shepherd makes a HUGE mess eating meat off the bone and I got to the point I had to cut the meat off the bone, clean the bone off, and feed them seperately or he'd run around playing with it like it's the coolest toy ever before eating it.
As long as the raw meat, and the raw bones are being eaten, I think it's a matter of just finding a battle plan that works for the dog.
I would NOT, however, under any circumstances under your control, stop the raw feeding. It is probably the best thing you ever have or ever will be able to do for his health and well being.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If he absolutely will not eat the bone, under any circumstanes, you can crush it up into tiny tiny pieces, like a powder, and mix it with the meat that way.
I only would do this as an absolute last resort, as it takes away all the tooth and gums benefits.
As for the poop, I wouldn't worry about it. My Shepherd makes a HUGE mess eating meat off the bone and I got to the point I had to cut the meat off the bone, clean the bone off, and feed them seperately or he'd run around playing with it like it's the coolest toy ever before eating it.
As long as the raw meat, and the raw bones are being eaten, I think it's a matter of just finding a battle plan that works for the dog.
I would NOT, however, under any circumstances under your control, stop the raw feeding. It is probably the best thing you ever have or ever will be able to do for his health and well being.
How would I crush the bone? I can try that since he won't eat the bone. I tried turkey meat tonight and he literally devoured it so I guess he was getting bored with just chicken. When should I move on with other meats?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
You need to go into RFD's sig. and reread about how to feed and when to change the meat types, I can't tell you how many times I went in there to read the instructions myself to make sure I was doing things the right way.:rolleyes: Don't give up, chicken and turkey are pretty much the same, but you won't have the benefit of your dog being able to eat the turkey bone, (no way can a pom eat a turkey bone, or maybe I'm wrong:eek:) You could try pounding the bone of the wing before giving it to your dog so it isn't quite so tough to chew. Don't give up, and good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts