Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating whether I should give Aspen his Heartgard this month, or next. I really would not like to give it to him if I could, but we can't escape mosquitoes here in the spring and summer. I have already eliminated k9 Advantix for the winters, but I have to use it in spring and summer because the fleas here are terrible! I don't have to worry about ticks though. There are no mosquitoes here right now, but is there a chance that a few mosquitoes might come in and infect him?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Heartworm is just something that I don't like to take a chance on. I recommend giving it year round, but only a pill every 45 days instead of once a month. And an annual heartworm test as well to confirm that your dog doesn't have it, because it has been shown that dogs can still get heartworm while on the preventative...but very rarely.

If I lived in Cali I would give heartguard year round to be honest. Heartworm is a hard parasite to kill, not to mention expensive...AND you don't have a 100% guarantee your dog will make it through the treatment. Heartguard is a very low dose and mild preventative that you don't have to worry too much about side effects. The pros FAR outweigh the cons IMHO.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Is it warm enough for Mosquitos right now?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
How come every 45 days?
The reason for this is life cycle of the heartworm parasite as well as the way the medication works along with that. They say once a month because that is generally easier for people to remember.

Is it warm enough for Mosquitos right now?
In Cali? Probably...here in CO? Nope, but since HG is effective with roundworms and hookworms as well, it doesn't hurt to give it year round.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well...at my clinic we tell clients to give it to them whenever bugs are visible.

I don't know if that helps you at all...

Reactions: malluver1005

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I am debating whether I should give Aspen his Heartgard this month, or next. I really would not like to give it to him if I could, but we can't escape mosquitoes here in the spring and summer. I have already eliminated k9 Advantix for the winters, but I have to use it in spring and summer because the fleas here are terrible! I don't have to worry about ticks though. There are no mosquitoes here right now, but is there a chance that a few mosquitoes might come in and infect him?
Interesting that you should bring this up. There is no doubt that Zio gets Heartguard year 'round. But I recently asked our breeder (who is also a vet tech) about perhaps suspending the K9 Advantix during the "winter" down here in FL. Surprisingly, she said they get many flea infestation cases at her practice & to keep him on it, despite the "colder" weather.

Just thought I'd pass that along...

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We are actually seeing fleas here in CO too, which is very weird...? I wouldn't want to chance getting fleas at all, because I have heard that it can be a NIGHTMARE to deal with. We kept finding only ONE flea on Bailey a couple of different times, but only ONE flippin' flea...drove us mad :eek:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are actually seeing fleas here in CO too, which is very weird...? I wouldn't want to chance getting fleas at all, because I have heard that it can be a NIGHTMARE to deal with. We kept finding only ONE flea on Bailey a couple of different times, but only ONE flippin' flea...drove us mad :eek:
That IS weird. I know CO is really cold, so what are fleas doing there?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think these two links should give you enough to make your own decision regarding Heartworm protection:
About timing:
Citadel Tibetan Mastiffs Heartworm Timing
About meds:
Heartworm Prevention

People in different parts of the country (or world) will be able to dose differently. I dose according to the map and every 45 days, you will see why in the second link.

I've only used frontline or any sort of flea/tick med once in the past two and a half years and that was only because i tamed some feral kittens in the house and they infested my dogs.
I sometimes see a flea or two on my dogs (it's really easy with their short white coats) but nothing that lasts.
The fewer toxins I put on my dogs, the better.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sometimes see a flea or two on my dogs (it's really easy with their short white coats) but nothing that lasts. The fewer toxins I put on my dogs, the better.
It's very difficult for me to spot a flea on Aspen....:rolleyes:

I also agree the fewer the toxins the better...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, I can totally see that you are at a flea detecting handicap with that fur! :biggrin:

Fleas really seem to like the base of the tail, that would be an easy spot to check for flea dirt (poop).
I don't consider my dogs infested if I just spot a flea- it probably jumped on while they were outside and they don't seem to stay on my dogs. However, if there is flea dirt- then they are sticking around.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm in rural west Georgia next to a swamp and don't give flea meds from November through May or June. They usually get their first pills mid May to Mid june and every 42 days through November.

You don't really have to give the meds until 45 days after mosquitoes appear. I usually give take them to the vet to get a heartworm check about 45 days after 1st mosquito and then first pill 45 days after that.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think these two links should give you enough to make your own decision regarding Heartworm protection:
About timing:
Citadel Tibetan Mastiffs Heartworm Timing
About meds:
Heartworm Prevention

People in different parts of the country (or world) will be able to dose differently. I dose according to the map and every 45 days, you will see why in the second link.

I've only used frontline or any sort of flea/tick med once in the past two and a half years and that was only because i tamed some feral kittens in the house and they infested my dogs.
I sometimes see a flea or two on my dogs (it's really easy with their short white coats) but nothing that lasts.
The fewer toxins I put on my dogs, the better.
"Heartworm larvae cannot develop to the stage needed to infect dogs until temperatures have been over 57 degrees Fahrenheit (14 degrees Centigrade), day and night, for at least one to two weeks."

This is sentence from the heartworm prevention link you sent me. During the winter here in socal, temps drop down to 40's at night and 70's during the day. So I should be OK during the winter right?

L

·
0 Posts
I keep both of my dogs on Heartguard year-round as well as Bio Spot-On flea & tick preventative year-round. We often have foster dogs and boarders here so because of that I'd rather my dogs be on the safe side, preventative-wise.

And if your dog goes to daycare, dog parks, or where ever other dogs are, it's a good idea to have your dog on preventative all the time, just saying. My opinion. Better safe than sorry. Some, but not all, doggie daycares do require that your dog be on a flea preventative.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
"Heartworm larvae cannot develop to the stage needed to infect dogs until temperatures have been over 57 degrees Fahrenheit (14 degrees Centigrade), day and night, for at least one to two weeks."

This is sentence from the heartworm prevention link you sent me. During the winter here in socal, temps drop down to 40's at night and 70's during the day. So I should be OK during the winter right?
That is correct. According to the map in the first link you can use the same dosing schedule i use, which is from June to December. Also, giving the meds every 45 days instead of 30 would make a 6 pack last a little longer if you want to be on the "safe" side. Though I take those estimates to be safe as long as there isn't an unusually warm spring/winter.
At first I was surprised that my dogs did not need flea prevention. Felix goes to the dog park all the time in the summer and plays with many dogs. We occasionally go on walks in the woods and I just pull all the ticks off them that night (made easy by their short coats).
I realize that having other dogs in the house can be a problem, afterall it was the feral kittens in the house that did mine in. I am just glad that under normal circumstances they don't need it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts