Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Havanese champion we are specializing along with two other Havanese we are switching over to Orijen. I often see the reference on this site and others that this food is good for the "Active Working Dog". So is it not ideal for a small 10-12 lb. Havanese? Is there a grainless lower protein food? I know Core is around 34% unlike 40-42% with EVO and Orijen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the recommendation. However, do you think the lower protein is better for the small non working dog; or does it depend on the particular dog?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It really depends on your dogs individual metabolism, it doesent have to be a working dog to eat high protein, some dogs are very active and/or have high metabolism and do just fine on it.
One thing for sure is that you'll be feeding much less then of regular kibble. Theres always a risk of a dog gaining weight on this food because theyre not burning off all the calories, its definitely worth a try, but make sure to weigh your dog at least once a week to make sure he's not packing on lbs, if thats the case reduce the ammount fed.

I'm kind of in a situtation right now because I have very active dog, we run weekly and go on 5-8 mile hikes on the weekends. I figured high protein would be ideal for him, but he always seems to put on 2-3 lbs when I switch to this food. Right now he's on Horizon Legacy which is 40% protein and even though I drastically reduced the ammount (1/2 cup with couple tbsp of canned twice a day), he still put on some weight. Even though he's 67 lbs.
I had his thyroid tested and came back negative for hypothyroidism, he just has a lousy metabolism and I have to carefully watch how much he eats.

This month were doing raw (I rotate), so he gets 20 oz a day which seems to be a good ammount for him.

So yeah, long story short, each dog is an individual, give it a try, its good quality food but may not be for every dog.

·
Registered
939 Posts
This month were doing raw (I rotate), so he gets 20 oz a day which seems to be a good ammount for him.
:biggrin: I was wondering if this was possible!!! lol How often do you rotate? And do you do the model prey raw diet or BARF diet or something else?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I do about a month of kibble, then a month of raw, it helps to cut back on the costs since its hard to find anything under $1 per lb, except chicken.
I guess it would be considered prey model, but I dont feed whole animals with skin and hair (major ick factor for me), just regular store bought cuts (thighs, wings, organs, etc)

·
Registered
939 Posts
How do you transition them from month to month? Do you do it slowly over a few days? And do they have any obvious reaction from one to the other?

Sorry for asking so many questions...I'm a very curious person. lol

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Lol.. n.p

I use this enzyme supplement called prozyme and mix it in with the raw and do couple days of kibble in the morning/raw in the evening and then go straight to raw after 3rd day.

There has been couple times when he had constipation after switching, so I'm concerned whether its too much stress for his kidneys to having to adjust back and forth, I'm considering going all raw at this point, but I need to find maybe some chinese/mexican stores to get different meat sources aside from chicken/beef/pork.
It also signed up for a weekly grocery store circular to make sure I know of all the specials going on right now. Like yesterday I picked up chicken thighs for $.47 lb.
If I feel like I can manage the costs of feeding raw full time, then I'll probably switch over.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Well considering that its high protein kibble, he eats very little of it, which costs me about $30 a month to feed it, the last time I got the meat, spending $30, which lasted 2 weeks. So yeah, I need to do some more searching and see if I can manage the costs. I have a bit of a weak stomach and would not be able to get fresh kill and skin it myself, even though it would cost me less.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We have a Havanese champion we are specializing along with two other Havanese we are switching over to Orijen. I often see the reference on this site and others that this food is good for the "Active Working Dog". So is it not ideal for a small 10-12 lb. Havanese? Is there a grainless lower protein food? I know Core is around 34% unlike 40-42% with EVO and Orijen.
Chocolate is not a working dog, and gets walked 3 times a week, and is 10 years old and somehow thrives on the EVO food. It's all about portion sizes in my opinion. He's 25 lbs and gets around 1/2 cup a day of EVO or any other food with over 38% protein and when feeding CORE we give him around 3/4 cup a day.

Not to take away from CORE though. We love their Ocean formula both dry and especially canned . :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Not really. if you live in pennsyvania but not if you live in a place like Los Angeles where there are no butchers or even walmarts in sight. just grocery stores.
Here's a list of wholesale meat distributing companies that are located in LA. Give them all a call and see if they will sell to you in bulk as a private party. We get most of our meat in bulk from a local meat distributor here. We don't pay no more than $1 per pound for our meat from them, average of about $.60 per pound.

Meat Wholesale Los Angeles CA | Meat Suppliers Los Angeles

Here is a list of Walmart locations around the city of LA

http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder_results.do?sfsearch_zip=&sfsearch_city=Los+Angeles&sfsearch_state=CA&x=29&y=4&serviceName=ALL&sfatt=ALL&rx_title=&rx_dest=/index.gsp

Oh, I almost forgot about ethnic markets :wink:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS328US328&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=ethnic+markets+los+angeles&fb=1&gl=us&hq=ethnic+markets&hnear=los+angeles&view=text&ei=rM5wS8r8B4ikngei_Z2WCw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQtQMwAA

You can also post up on craigslist offering to clean out anyone's freezer of freezer burned meat that they are just planning on throwing away, we have gotten close to 4-500 pounds of free meat this way in the last 6 months or so!

·
Registered
939 Posts
You can also post up on craigslist offering to clean out anyone's freezer of freezer burned meat that they are just planning on throwing away, we have gotten close to 4-500 pounds of free meat this way in the last 6 months or so!
Freezer burn doesn't effect the nutritional content or something of the sort?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Freezer burn doesn't effect the nutritional content or something of the sort?
Freezer burned meat is actually harmless for anyone to eat. The reason why we don't typically eat freezer burned meat is because it's dried out and doesn't taste good! But dogs still see it as tasty meat and don't give a second thought about it :wink: :biggrin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Orijen is much lower in Calories compared to the EVO and a vast majority of all the other high protein diets out there.
Orijen (all formulas): 250 kcal/cup
EVO Small Bites: 537 kcal/cup:eek:
Horizon Legacy :460kcal/cup

A high protein and high fat content diet is great for all dogs but you have to watch out for the Calories. Most all of the Premium All Natural Foods are well over 330 Calories per cup and your dog could pick up some added lbs unless they are v-e-r-y active to burn off those calories.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Acana Grain Free kibbles are also only 250 Calories per cup! :cool:Core, Horizon, Instinct, Blue Wilderness, Artemis and Taste Of The Wild are all excellent dry kibble but are high in Calories.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I noticed that horizon legacy has lowered their protein from 40% to 34%, so now its 420 kcal/cup

Blue Buffalo Wilderness has also gone from 42% to 34%
I wonder is it because theyre trying to cut back the costs by using less meat or maybe because most dogs do not do well on high protein diets which can lead to myriad of digestive issues.

I'm pretty happy with acana provincial and Uno even likes their fish formula though he normally hates fish kibble.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts