Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had her on fish for, like, a week and a half straight, and when she finally ate a whole one without giving me any grief, I gave her some chicken again, then turkey, then back to fish. It's been two days now, and she's HARDLY touching the fish tonight, and stuck her nose up at it the last three feeding times! I am NOT going to cater to her every fancying whim, so like HECK I'm cutting it up for her anymore! Am I just going to have to deal with this EVERY time I feed her fish?! Am I going to have to feed her more of everything else on days she gets to eat that stuff just to compensate for the fact that it takes her THREE DAYS to eat one flipping fish?! -.- She's driving me INSANE!!!!! I'm NOT cutting fish out of her diet, because the Omega-3s are really important, and it's WAY too expensive to go out and buy that stuff to supplement her diet with. *pulls hair out*

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Whether or not your dog eats fish isn't worth the hassle you are dealing with at this point. Give her a can of salmon once a week or so and don't worry about it. Fish is not a required part of a good raw diet. If not for the O3's, I wouldn't even feed fish.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So she doesn't like fish. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Go get some fish oil pills and give her a couple several times a week. Done. NO need to stress over it and force her to eat something she hates. It's just not worth it. Fish is not required. Maybe try some sardines canned in water or some canned salmon or mackerel.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Like it has been posted many times before, alot of dogs won't eat whole fish but will eat canned, my dogs are a good example of that.

I had to stop giving the dogs omega oil caps because the boy dog was getting the gunky ears, must be the caps themselves, but they love their canned fishes!:biggrin:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Make sure the fish oil you buy doesn't have soy in it. I have used the grizzly brand of salmon oil and like it. There are several good brands to choose from, or you could buy fish oil for people.

·
Registered
222 Posts
None of my six will eat fish of any kind, canned or not. I get capsules of omega 3-6-9 oils, and conceal them in meat balls. They love their meatballs, and never even know the capsules are even there.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Yep, just feed canned fish if she will eat it. That's what we do with our two girls that don't like fresh fish. It's more expensive so they don't get it as often but at least they still get a fish source in their diet!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and it's WAY too expensive to go out and buy that stuff to supplement her diet with.
I looked at that stuff, and it's $30 for, like, 30 pills. That's way too expensive, on top of the fact that it wouldn't be included in my current costs, but would add on, instead... And canned fish is too expensive as well. Rannmiller buys hers for $1.59/12 oz. I think, which is 3/4 of a pound. We get our tilapia for $.99-1.19/lb, which is way cheap. She seems to like the tilapia a little better than the trout, but I was using the trout to force her to eat, because we got the trout pretty much for free, unless you consider the fact that my husband had to buy a $9 fishing license, but I don't count that, because he was buying that to go out for the day with my dad, not to get fish (fish was the bonus, and dad and my brother gave us all of theirs, too!). Then we get salmon heads for $1/lb (which I think is ridiculously expensive, considering they just pretty much throw them all away. -.-). I haven't tried to give her those yet, and it'll probably only be a supplement to give them twice a week if they'll eat them, because there isn't much meat in it. I do think she'll like the salmon better, though.

She did finally eat her fish last night. Must have been hungry. She ate all of it except the head, which it seems like she likes the heads least of all, but for some reason, she likes the fins the most...??? haha. Ryou likes the heads the most, though, but leaves the organs every time.

And I don't think it's so much the fact that she doesn't like it. She does, just not as much as turkey and chicken, and she hates the WORK that goes into eating whole fish, because when I cut it up, she'll eat it a lot quicker, but I read something about catering to your dogs every whim isn't a good thing, either. I think that may be why she was giving me such a hassle the last couple of days, because I DID cut it up twice and give it to her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jax will only eat Tilapia. She finally started to eat canned mackerel and sardines. However, if it's costing you $30 for 30 pills you need to shop in a new place. vitacost.com has them relatively cheap. Don't forget to get Vitamin E to supplement. Processing the O3's depleted Vitamin E from their system so you need to put it back.

I bought 4 months worth if salmon oil, vitamin e, turmeric, and vit c for under $40.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
stubborn i am....and i don't want to feed canned fish...LOL...

i took tilapia and ground it...they ate it right up. have you tried that?

canned is expensive...and i feed fish a few times a week....

this week it was sardines, last week it was smelts....

i don't know what it is about tilapia....but i want them to have fish...and i'm the boss. my only concession is i will stick it in the cuisinart and take the fins off....

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ACTUALLY, we had a MASSIVE breakthrough last night...

We did not cut up her fish, did not urge her to eat it, pamper it in any way...threw in a whole tilapia and let her have at it.

Took her some time, but when we started to get settled in for bed, checked, and it was ALL gone, including the head!!!! ALL of it! GONE!

And the night before that, she finally finished her trout. I think we've gotten through to her!

And yes, stubborn I am, too. XP

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
ACTUALLY, we had a MASSIVE breakthrough last night...

We did not cut up her fish, did not urge her to eat it, pamper it in any way...threw in a whole tilapia and let her have at it.

Took her some time, but when we started to get settled in for bed, checked, and it was ALL gone, including the head!!!! ALL of it! GONE!

And the night before that, she finally finished her trout. I think we've gotten through to her!

And yes, stubborn I am, too. XP
that's excellent news.....hunger rules....

you DID check under the sofa cushions, right? make sure she didn't hide it? LOL

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's excellent news.....hunger rules....

you DID check under the sofa cushions, right? make sure she didn't hide it? LOL
hahahaha! We feed them in their crates, actually, so there's nowhere she could have hid it. XP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts