Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chesney has officially decided that she wants nothing to do with heart of any kind. I've done tough love, and even after 5 days of refusing it, she won't eat it, soooo we've resorted to force feeding it.
ANyone else having this issue with Heart? None of the tricks I used to get Grissom to eat liver are working. She also hates beef. Go figure. I feel like heart is too important to jsut cut from her diet, but I'd rather not have to force feed her once a week for the rest of her life, either.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We have come to terms with force feeding our dogs the necessities. Its gotten much easier lately like they just put up with it because they know they will have to.

Have you tried searing it a bit or seasoning it or feeding it frozen?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have come to terms with force feeding our dogs the necessities. Its gotten much easier lately like they just put up with it because they know they will have to.

Have you tried searing it a bit or seasoning it or feeding it frozen?
I've tried garllic powder, fresh bits of garlic shoved in, searing it, searing i in butter, and feeding it partly frozen. She's not having it.
I force fed it today for the third time, and she doesn't seem to mind it anymore. I cut it in chunks, and stick them down her throat, and she just sits there and takes it. She doesn't struggle at all.
I guess it's not too big of a deal, just an annoyance really. She was terrified the first two times, but right after i posted this thread, I went and fed her, and she seemed more annoyed than anything, but not scared.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Have you tried feeding in close proximity to another dog, one that she would protect her food from? Perhaps the threat of having it taken away will get her to eat it more readily. I didn't realize heart was such a necessity that it should be force fed.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried feeding in close proximity to another dog, one that she would protect her food from? Perhaps the threat of having it taken away will get her to eat it more readily. I didn't realize heart was such a necessity that it should be force fed.
I did. This actually is what got Annie to eat liver.
Unfortunately, it resulted in Chesney running away, while annie gladly took a second helping of heart for herself. lol.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I did. This actually is what got Annie to eat liver.
Unfortunately, it resulted in Chesney running away, while annie gladly took a second helping of heart for herself. lol.
Lucky Annie! haha.

I'm curious as well, is heart a really important part of their diets?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Lucky Annie! haha.

I'm curious as well, is heart a really important part of their diets?
Heart is not a requirement but it's very nutritious and about the cheapest part of the cow you can feed. My dogs and cats love it. To the people having trouble getting their dogs to eat it: Have you chopped it up into small cubes to feed it? I cut it up into cubes small enought to be swallowed. In my case, thats a little smaller than my fist. My dogs don't even chew it. They put it in their mouth and down it goes.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heart is not a requirement but it's very nutritious and about the cheapest part of the cow you can feed. My dogs and cats love it. To the people having trouble getting their dogs to eat it: Have you chopped it up into small cubes to feed it? I cut it up into cubes small enought to be swallowed. In my case, thats a little smaller than my fist. My dogs don't even chew it. They put it in their mouth and down it goes.
The first time I fed it, she tried to chew it after about three days of refusing it, and appeared to have a hard time with it. (She is losing her puppy teeth if that matters) so I cubed it, and then she'd take one cube (definately small enough to swallow) and chew it around a little, spit it out, and back away.
After five days of no food, I force fed it, which seemed to scare her a little, but as puppies do, she was over it in about five seconds. :rolleyes:

The second time I fed it, I tried stuffing little bits of raw garlic into it. No interest. I also tried garlic powder. No interest. I also tried searing it in a little butter. Nadda.
So, I force fed it. She wasn't happy.

This time I force fed it pretty matter-of-factly: no coaxing, no nothing. She didn't seem phased by it at all this time. Hopefully she'll take to eating it eventually, but until then I guess I'll just stick it in her throat since it didn't seem to bother her this time. I jsut finished off with a treat, and she was happy.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not looking for an argument, but an understanding. Like RFD said, heart is nutritionally considered muscle meat and is not essential if replaced with other muscle meats. So why force-feed it?

Liver and organ meat I can understand, but heart? :confused:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not looking for an argument, but an understanding. Like RFD said, heart is nutritionally considered muscle meat and is not essential if replaced with other muscle meats. So why force-feed it?

Liver and organ meat I can understand, but heart? :confused:
I was under the impression it was more important.

Oh well, no heart for her then.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I'm not sure but I think some people feed heart in place of beef because of the price, I could be wrong but heart is less expensive and very nutritious so maybe thats why.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I know this is an old thread; but I have a question about heart. My aunt and uncle raise Angus, and after my visit, they sent me home with 3 or 4 frozen hearts. How much should I give at a time, and how often?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I know this is an old thread; but I have a question about heart. My aunt and uncle raise Angus, and after my visit, they sent me home with 3 or 4 frozen hearts. How much should I give at a time, and how often?
I would start out small. Heart is a very rich meat and can cause digestive upset just like organs. So only give a small amount in the beginning and work up a tolerance for adding more in. We give beef heart probably once a week or so, enough for an entire meals worth. But like I said start small and work up to more.

·
Registered
204 Posts
One thing that worked for my reluctant dog was to cut the heart into strips and then throw it on the BBQ grill. Sear for just a minute on each side (still raw in the middle). He eats it every time now. Must be something about that smoky BBQ flavor?

I wouldn't force feed it. The only part of a raw diet that is non-negotiable is the organs. Heart is great, but its not a necessity.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I would start out small. Heart is a very rich meat and can cause digestive upset just like organs. So only give a small amount in the beginning and work up a tolerance for adding more in. We give beef heart probably once a week or so, enough for an entire meals worth. But like I said start small and work up to more.
That's good to know, and kinda what I've been afraid of. We have only been feeding raw for a relatively short time, 4 months, and we see digestive issues any time we make changes. Would I be OK to just add a little to his regular feeding, rather than trying to feed as a stand alone? or would that be more troublesome for his system?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
That's good to know, and kinda what I've been afraid of. We have only been feeding raw for a relatively short time, 4 months, and we see digestive issues any time we make changes. Would I be OK to just add a little to his regular feeding, rather than trying to feed as a stand alone? or would that be more troublesome for his system?
That is exactly what I suggest you do. Add it in slowly over time *with* a protein that you know your dog can handle. Something like a heavy bone in chicken meal.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Chesney has officially decided that she wants nothing to do with heart of any kind. I've done tough love, and even after 5 days of refusing it, she won't eat it, soooo we've resorted to force feeding it.
ANyone else having this issue with Heart? None of the tricks I used to get Grissom to eat liver are working. She also hates beef. Go figure. I feel like heart is too important to jsut cut from her diet, but I'd rather not have to force feed her once a week for the rest of her life, either.
why would she eat it after refusing for 5 days? is that all that was offered? did she go hungry for 5 days? id think shes got in her mind that shes allowed to refuse it, and shes seeing its ok.

anyway just curious what makes heart so important?:confused:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
why would she eat it after refusing for 5 days? is that all that was offered? did she go hungry for 5 days? id think shes got in her mind that shes allowed to refuse it, and shes seeing its ok.

anyway just curious what makes heart so important?:confused:
Corgi was using the "tough-love" method. THis is when you offer the dog the subject food and nothing else. You put the food down for them to eat, and leave it for 15 minutes. If they don't eat it in that time, you would pick the food up and put it away. You do not offer the dog any other food (or treats) until the next meal time, where you would offer the subject food again.

Dogs will not typically starve themselves. Usually, within a couple days, they will eat it.

People use this method in order to get their dogs to eat what THEY want them to eat. Most "picky eaters" are created by pet owners who relate canine hunger to human hunger. Most dogs can safely go several days without a meal.

As far as the importance of heart? It's the cheapest readily available part of the cow! :biggrin: It is ideal to have a variety of protein sources in a dog's diet. But most parts of the cow tend to be on the pricey side. So heart is a great option.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
That's the "tough love" method used to introduce new protein sources. On a rare occasion you'll run into a meat that dogs just refuse to eat regardless of how hungry they are.

After 5 days 2 of our 4 still refused to eat whole raw fish (they now get canned fish instead that they're happy to eat)

It's certainly NOT her thinking she can refuse it. Sometimes dogs just don't like certain meats even if they're starving...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
After 5 days 2 of our 4 still refused to eat whole raw fish (they now get canned fish instead that they're happy to eat
I've been having issues with Amaya not wanting to eat whole, raw fish, too. Doing the tough love method, she refused to eat for two days. It's not that she doesn't like it, she just doesn't like the work involved in it. So today, I thought I'd try to cut it up, and she ate all of the pieces that were mouth-sized, chewed at a piece that was twice as big as mouth sized, and wouldn't touch the head. I'm saving those flipping heads for a day when I have enough, and I'm going to tough love her into eating them.

Also, I had a question. If she refuses to eat fish for several days, but finally eats it, would it be okay to feed her fish again?

I finally got her to finish one fish, after about three days of struggling with her, and then gave her turkey and chicken for her next two meals, but then went back to fish, and she turned her nose up to it, thinking that she'd get her chicken/turkey again if she waited it out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts